JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
11/12/18 8:44 a.m.

Let me start by saying that I have not welded much at all in the last 18 years. Even then I was more apt to use a Unispot panel welder before anything else. This said I have purchased a small 110/220 stick welder and a 90a flux core wire feed to start getting the little bits tacked together on the Panhard. A friend will be bringing his "real" welder (and experience) over to finalize the construction with me but in the interim there is a lot to do in a little time. 

Having both stick and FC wire around will not be a bad thing I think, although a gas shield will be an eventual purchase probably eliminating the other two.

I do not have a proper cart for one, let alone two small welders. I can obviously go to Hazard Fraught and buy one for $40.00 but really that cart is built for one welder. Has anyone seen a cart that is multi welder friendly? Should I make it my first project? Convert an older roll chest and add a brick top for welding? Space is a premium for me and cost needs to be low.

So now you understand my current situation, what do you use,  what's your suggestion?

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/12/18 9:00 a.m.

I have the $40 HF one. It sucks. Would not recommend.

Maybe it would work better if I had the smaller size gas bottle, but mine doesn't do a great job of holding the bottle tight so I'm always freaked out the bottle will fall over. Also, the shelves underneath are JUST too small to fit my welding helmet. So I end up trying to hang it from the welder's handle on top. Obviously that doesn't work well either.

If I were building from scratch (or buying again), I'd love to have a small metal table surface on top for small welding jobs, and proper storage for the welding helmet and bottle.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
11/12/18 9:02 a.m.

I use a HF welder cart and do my welding on the top of one of those drawing file cabinets that were drafting office standard issue before CAD was invented. Yes, I'm old.

Like so....

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/art/d/5-drawer-safco-steel-flat/6700253199.html

FE3tMX5
FE3tMX5 New Reader
11/12/18 10:27 a.m.

I built a rolling cart for my welders, tanks and plasma cutter from an AV cart. They're dirt cheap used, sturdy and come with good casters.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/12/18 4:47 p.m.

In reply to JmfnB :

Don’t give up on the stick welder. I have one and for just burning things together it is great.  A lot less to go wrong with it than a mig. The trick is starting the ark but once you get that down it is incredibly simple and effective. 

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
11/12/18 4:54 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I was at one time pretty proficient with a stick and have confidence in what I'm doing with one. 

I wouldn't have purchased a new unit if I hadn't felt I would enjoy the spark therapy smiley

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
11/12/18 4:56 p.m.

I think a $40 3 shelf tool cart modified to my needs will be the best answer. Hazard Fraught run tomorrow will make it all better.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/12/18 5:40 p.m.

Pretty easy to modify a cart for your welders. 

If you have a welder. wink

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
11/12/18 6:38 p.m.

Building or modifying a welding cart is a great way to get some practice welding.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
11/12/18 7:00 p.m.

Free 2 drawer legal size filing cabinet, some surplus casters, wheels, and some scrap metal.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with larger wheels, maybe even pneumatic, just for ease of rolling over stuff.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/12/18 7:05 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

I should go down and take a picture but build yourself s really heavy duty cart that will hold everything.  Put a big top plate on it on it and make sure you can really blacksmith on it. 1/4 steel is barely thick enough. If I did it again I’d go 3/8ths at least for the top 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GwlKrKvESTNIL9qJk3xz9H1FgNHbS82xVF2ZBObzpgzGG0ZmJHQOxK0Vrb0sMTtm