1 2 3 4
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
4/18/10 10:33 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Listen here duke, its been nearly 20 hours or so, and still not even a single update? what the hell man? Im angry cuz Im jealous!

Haha, alright heres an update. Im outside grinding down all the rust sports, trying to see what needs the most attention. Alot of things are real brittle and probably dont have any replacement for them it they break, so im being real careful right now. Found a hornet's nest on the rad, that made me laugh... New fuel pump went in and it fired right up! Making a list of things that it needs and going online and trying to find if there is anything available for it. Thankfully, it shared alot of parts with the X1/9 and the Yugo, so i might stand a chance on replacement parts. Ill add some pics in a couple of minutes...

DukeOfUndersteer
4/18/10 11:08 a.m.

The little 1.3.. Timing belt looks good, everything else is questionable...

The dash, cant find a replacement, so i have to work with this one...

Rear end...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim Dork
4/18/10 11:14 a.m.

Looks like it needs a little work then, but I've seen[1] worse.

[1] And owned, back when I was young and stupid. I'm not young anymore.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
4/18/10 11:41 a.m.

Strangely most of the mechanical stuff is dirt cheap and readily avaliable through rockauto. For the rest I think Chris Obert at fiatplus.com and midwest/bayless are going to be your best bet.

There is a racers board at mirafiori.com. Even though the forum software never evolved past 1992, there is a lot of knowledge there and really nice folks who always seem to respond to WTB posts

DukeOfUndersteer
4/18/10 11:57 a.m.

Appreciate the info! Bayless use to be based out of Marietta GA, which is a stones throw away from where im at, but they just moved... Have the International Auto Parts catalog in my hand, circling things

mblommel
mblommel New Reader
4/18/10 1:20 p.m.

In reply to DukeOfUndersteer:

Midwest X1/9 bought Bayless. I have dealt with them a lot and they are great. I think a lot of the Bayless stockpiled NOS parts for various Fiats are now showing up on their website.

Looks like you have a great project there. Please keep us updated.

DukeOfUndersteer
4/18/10 1:32 p.m.

just bought an aluminum Honda Civic radiator with electric fan for $50! so that will be in soon, gonna call up Midwest tomorrow and start piecing some things together..

mtn
mtn SuperDork
4/18/10 1:37 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: . [1] And owned, back when I was young and stupid. I'm not young anymore.

Made me laugh

DukeOfUndersteer
4/18/10 2:36 p.m.

anyone have any experience with POR-15?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/18/10 3:28 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: anyone have any experience with POR-15?

It is great stuff - but it won't save real rot - it will just stop regular old rust from progressing.

DukeOfUndersteer
4/18/10 7:11 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
It is great stuff - but it won't save real rot - it will just stop regular old rust from progressing.

awesome! Ya, that is what i need to stop some of the small stuff. There is 2 or 3 spots where i need to cut the bad stuff out and weld some new in. Planning on doing some type of Rhino Liner in the interior...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
4/18/10 8:46 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
fornetti14
fornetti14 Reader
4/18/10 9:05 p.m.

Wow! I'd rock it just the way it is.

DukeOfUndersteer
4/18/10 9:23 p.m.
fornetti14 wrote: Wow! I'd rock it just the way it is.

haha, trust me, i would love to drive it home right now. The tires on it arnt flat spotted, they are TACO'd! The carb needs to adjusting, and needs an alignment. Im hoping i can knock out most of the body work this week so i can start prepping it for paint, think im gonna shoot it yellow again.

the rear suspension is super unique! its a transverse leaf spring, like a corvette. So, ride height is pretty much set where its at now. I am thinking about fab'ing some drop plates that will drop it 2 or 3 inches, which would look good. the front, im thinking, is gonna get some new shocks and im gonna buy some EF/EG civic coilover sleeves to drop the front end some as well.

subrew
subrew Reader
4/18/10 9:44 p.m.

Spend some time on Mirafiori. Most of the things you've commented about doing have been done dozens of times by others. Rear ride height, coilovers up front etc. The tricks are out there, and fairly simple.

My old 128:

215/50-13 Kumho 710s on 8" and 7" wheels respectively, stock fenders.

Also ran some slicks on on 8.5" Panasports:

Chris H.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
4/18/10 11:17 p.m.

I have a similar transverse leaf setup on the front of my Fiat. First thing I did was to reverse the spring eyes folowing these instructions. Actually you end up rearching the entire spring leaf. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90824&highlight=reverse+your+own+spring+eyes

The next step was to weld extension tabs to drop it even further. Photobucket This thread and those flares are making that constant "You need a 128" whisper in the back of my head turn into a shout.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
4/19/10 6:09 a.m.

The one and only car I ever bought straight out of a showroom was a 128. Paid $3500. Drove the heck out of it, towed a small boat to Cape Cod, strapped a hang glider to it, always had a dog in there somewhere. I'd love to find one that hasn't gone back to the earth.

Dan

DukeOfUndersteer
4/19/10 2:08 p.m.

got some parts coming in soon for it. Been reading some Fiat forums on some DIY stuff with these since the aftermarket is very very thin. Gotta sell a car now... Selling my 2.0 Jetta, on the cheap!

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
4/19/10 6:30 p.m.

Freaking cool. You guys are killing me, showing pictures of these awesome old little cars that I could probably find a good example of myself...well maybe not a Fiat 128, but you know what I mean...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
4/20/10 1:21 a.m.

Duke, you gotta bring that car to the Mitty, even if you have to put Coopers or something on it for the moment. I'll help push it back on the trailer if it stops running..

DukeOfUndersteer
4/20/10 7:42 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Duke, you gotta bring that car to the Mitty, even if you have to put Coopers or something on it for the moment. I'll help push it back on the trailer if it stops running..

Haha, im just might! Think the Lotus 7 Panasports will fit, those are 4x98 as far as i remember...

speedblind
speedblind Reader
4/20/10 7:58 a.m.

Awesome little car. Looking forward to the build-up.

Powar
Powar HalfDork
4/20/10 12:04 p.m.

Freaking sweet. Not sure how I missed this thread before.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Reader
4/20/10 12:55 p.m.

if you want some extra fiat rims to save your race tires i have 3 fiat mags you are welcome to have for free. i'm in atlanta so you can just pick them up whenever if you are interested. send me a pm and i will email back some pics of what ive got

DukeOfUndersteer
4/20/10 1:31 p.m.

In reply to itsarebuild:

PM'ed ya!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SMJqRgM1X4dR2JqFCj7HLTTRHLMGJCtZY5SHKDx0qeeIUipJPDn1DjXhmNaW6USE