1 2
Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/30/18 12:48 a.m.

After just under two (very enjoyable) months of ownership, as originally noted here, it went from this:

To this:

Hopefully this ends up going relatively drama free, but since the guy that hit me is 'between insurance providers', I'm also not going to hold my breath for that either.  It does still run and drive just fine, so worst case scenario it might end up in the $2k Classifieds...Assuming there would be any serious interest in it as such.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/30/18 12:54 a.m.

Yikes bummer! 

Replacement? 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/30/18 6:42 a.m.

Your links are broken for me (as I gather your Mustang is, too).  But sorry to hear about your apparent accident.  Good luck with all that entails, and I hope everybody is well.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/30/18 7:31 a.m.

Yeah, I can't see the pictures either. Or the ones you had in the linked thread.

Harvey
Harvey SuperDork
10/30/18 7:58 a.m.

imgur.com

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/30/18 9:25 a.m.

Dang. I'm sorry to hear it! Do you have uninsured motorist coverage on your insurance? I always carry it since there are so many irresponsible people out there and it's relatively cheap. It doesn't help this time but maybe next time?

I can't see the photos either. Try copying them and then pasting them here. On a PC, you right click on the photo and hit copy, then right click in the message box and click paste here.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/30/18 10:11 a.m.

Ok, so hopefully uploading directly to GRM gets the pics to show up for everybody else.

Yes, I have UIM coverage, although I'd rather not use it if I don't have to. He thinks/claims he wants to pay for this out of pocket, but obviously doesn't have any concept of what structural body work costs as he was worried the repairs on his 2013-2014 Mustang V6 would cost him 'like 2 grand'. The starting point for the repairs on just what they can see of mine is just shy of $7k, so the car is totaled either way, and his did not fare much/any better. I'll still give him the opportunity to settle on it before going through insurance, but I have a feeling I know how that'll go. 

Thankfully I haven't put any more money into it than I already have, as I was planning to start refurbishing it a bit more come spring time.

A replacement will happen eventually, but I'm not sure what yet, and have no specific time frame. I will be looking at all options for a reliable, safe, 4 seat, convertible, with manual trans and RWD.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/30/18 10:40 a.m.

Dang, sorry to hear Driven5. If it were me I would drive it as is, with a bumper sticker next to the dent that says "tailgater was here". 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise New Reader
10/30/18 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Wrangler? 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
10/30/18 11:52 a.m.

I'm amazed...

That'll buff out with a little elbow grease...

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/30/18 11:55 a.m.

I'd immediately claim that on your policy.  Do you honestly think this guy is going to give you a wad of cash for your car?  There's a reason he doesn't have insurance....

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
10/30/18 11:57 a.m.

The irony of a Mustang running into a Mustang.

Seriously, still file a claim against UIM just in case he doesn't follow through. Still gets you covered and car fixed. If he does follow through and pay for repairs you can pay back your insurance company with what he paid you. Been there, done that. SWMBO got side swiped by someone with a canceled license and no insurance several years ago. He begged to not involve anyone else as it would interfere with his getting himself straight. I did but still filed an insurance claim to make sure our car was fixed. He paid me cash and I paid back my insurance company which cleared the claim, or at least marked it paid back.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/30/18 12:29 p.m.

That is horrible. 

Nail the guy to the wall; he shouldn't be on the road. If has hasn't done this sort of thing before, odds are he will again to someone else. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/30/18 12:30 p.m.
docwyte said:

Do you honestly think this guy is going to give you a wad of cash for your car?  

Of course not. But I'd also like to keep it civil. I'm still in communication with insurance too.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/30/18 12:38 p.m.

I truly hope this was reported to the police. 

The last time I felt sorry for someone who ran into me, I found that she went to the police claiming that the accident was my fault.   

I got that cleared up as soon as I found out. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/30/18 12:53 p.m.

My understanding is that uninsured motorist coverage claims don't affect your insurance rates or act as a negative on your claims history since they weren't your fault. But I could be 100% wrong on that front.

_
_ Reader
10/30/18 1:26 p.m.

Needs a bumper sticker next to it saying “just left cars and coffee”

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/30/18 1:36 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

While believe that to be true on an individual claim basis, I was under the impression that an accumulation of even not-at-fault claims can still elevate your assessed risk level...And subsequently your premiums.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
10/30/18 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

My rates went up after an UIM claim. I hadn't had a ticket in a decade, an accident in two. Be sure there's not a time limit to turn it in.

Crappy luck, man.

octavious
octavious Dork
10/30/18 1:58 p.m.

My daily is a 08 manual GT convertible so I feel for you.  

As far as 4 seater manual convertibles I only found a few

- Mustang

- BMW 3 Series

- Mini Cooper

- Wrangler

-Infiniti G37?

- VW Beetle

- Camaro 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/30/18 2:07 p.m.

Sorry dude, that sucks.  Car was hit in a bad spot from a repair standpoint.  That hit can take out the quarter, the rear body panel and even damage the trunk floor.

Don't waste your time with the guy, he's not going to pay you.  And if he really wants to pay out of pocket, let him pay your carrier back.

Make sure your UM coverage is for physical damage.  It varies state by state.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/30/18 2:12 p.m.

Anybody have any experience with what something like this might be offered at to buy back from insurance? 

If less than say $2k, might there be any demand for this among GRM'ers for a Challenge car?  I feel it would look pretty cool caged with the windshield cut off, and a tonneau covering the rear and passenger side seating areas, but lack the time/space/resources to do so myself.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/30/18 2:17 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

Out of curiosity, any idea how what he would owe gets calculated?  Are we talking a predetermined amount based on some combination of factors, or more like the actual of payout minus whatever they can get for the car at auction?

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/30/18 2:26 p.m.

He's going to be legally liable for the total amount of the claim.  So, just for round numbers if the car was worth $10k and the salvage sold for $3k, he would be liable for $7k. 

Getting ready to head home for the day, but I can give you a pretty solid salvage value in the morning.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/30/18 2:51 p.m.

I really hope you got a police report documenting the damage!

Good luck dealing with both your insurance and irresponsible jerkwad that hit you..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eiWnTTcHsmVezmu8ffwW0RnC5sFCgbayItptZASfM9DtsOSKUdwtJpHtpX6u5Uxf