Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
9/7/14 4:45 p.m.

I'm glad it didn't get fat, and I'm glad it looks better in person. Some of the angles (like the really low angles) I think are unflattering. The same goes for the RX8 in my opinion. I see a picture of an R3 and I think it looks terrible. I look at the one in my garage, and it looks better (to be honest I never was sold on the looks, i just love the way it drives). I think the difference is many photos are taken from close to ground level, but my eye level is significantly higher than the roof of the car. the more "standing next to it" angles of the MX-5 look glorious in my opinion, while the lower angles make it look a bit off.

That's like the angle I would see if I was kneeling in front of the car 20 feet away. I don't like the way the front looks.

That looks like the identical car but from a higher camera angle, and it looks 100% better IMO.

The want is growing within me

stanger_missle
stanger_missle HalfDork
9/7/14 5:21 p.m.

A quick video in a parade of Miatas: 2016 Miata

You can kinda gauge the dimensions compared to the NC in front. I think it looks fantastic!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
9/7/14 5:34 p.m.

The cut line at the front of the hood just looks weird.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
9/7/14 5:57 p.m.

I like it but would also want an optional, removeable hardtop option.

Sultan
Sultan Dork
9/7/14 6:42 p.m.

I just can't get past the top line of the mouth. It looks like a dumb smile. and I wish it was a straight line. Beyond that , awesome!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/7/14 8:45 p.m.

Dissenting voice here...

That catfish face is horrible.

I like the profile, but not the front.

And the rear view screen- uggh. There is no reason it couldn't have been integrated better.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
9/7/14 10:52 p.m.

Looks like it has an NC style bar and top, so no good REAL roll bar solutions. FAIL.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/8/14 9:37 p.m.

Correct, the roll bar issues remain. I spoke to one of the Mazda engineers about this - one who races Miatas - he basically said "well, people love that Z top so we had to keep it". And he's right. I asked about roll bar solutions, he answered "I look forward to seeing what you do". He also said that, off the record, the stock roll hoops and windshield frame will support the car. But they'll never say that in public.

We've got a solution for the NC now (unveiled this weekend), which can be adapted to the ND. And there are some small panels on the ND that are properly placed for hardtop mount points, so I'd expect to see that. But Mazda was very specifically not saying.

In person, on the road - it's gorgeous. The Miata's never been gorgeous. It's been cute, it's tried to be aggressive, it's been bland. But it's never been sexy like this.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
9/8/14 11:03 p.m.

I've always appreciated the Miata. Never really loved them or wanted one. Until now...

I can honestly say I haven't seen a bad angle of the new car. It is really beautifully styled IMO.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
9/9/14 10:55 a.m.

For comparison:

...pretty damn good company, if you ask me

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
9/9/14 1:30 p.m.

Keith, a real rollbar choice would have to be available before I bought one, I'm eagerly awaiting your solution.

I swear, though, if it comes in green, I'm sold.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
9/9/14 3:52 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: We've got a solution for the NC now (unveiled this weekend), which can be adapted to the ND.

as in; it's being unveiled this weekend (upcoming) or it has already been unveiled (last weekend?)

codrus
codrus HalfDork
9/9/14 4:24 p.m.
Autolex wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: We've got a solution for the NC now (unveiled this weekend), which can be adapted to the ND.
as in; it's being unveiled this weekend (upcoming) or it has already been unveiled (last weekend?)

FM had an unmounted rollbar sitting in their garage at Laguna, I'd assume that was for the NC. I didn't really pay attention because I don't own one and have no plans to own one. :)

Harvey
Harvey Reader
9/9/14 4:32 p.m.

The more I see it the more I want one.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
9/10/14 6:54 a.m.
nderwater wrote: For comparison: ...pretty damn good company, if you ask me

That's really interesting because SWMBO and I have discussed how much her '14 Maz6 looks like a Quattroporte that actually stays running...

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/10/14 7:36 a.m.

If they put a 2.0 engine with 180-200hp.

It's going to be VERY difficult to not buy one next year. Like very difficult.

(And damn the new Mazda 6 is a gorgeous car as well. The wife is considering trading in her 4Runner for one)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/10/14 8:22 a.m.

Have you driven the Mazda6 yet? Very nicely done. Huge rear seat, too. It doesn't drive big, though.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/10/14 9:06 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Have you driven the Mazda6 yet? Very nicely done. Huge rear seat, too. It doesn't drive big, though.

I haven't. But my wife is wishy-washy on driving such a big vehicle ('07 V8 Limited 4Runner), she saw the new 6 the other day and really liked it.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
9/10/14 10:17 a.m.

We've got 30k miles on our 6. It is stunningly excellent. It has as much cargo length with the rear seats down as our Explorer does, the ride is taut enough to be sporty but still comfortable, it drives like a car half its size, and it gets better mileage than the MINI it replaced. I have three small gripes - the iPod integration in the stereo is abysmal, like bad enough it hurts our enjoyment of the car some. There's way more tire noise than there should be for this nice a car, although that may change with tire selection. The passenger seat needs a tilt adjustment for the base - it's way too flat and really decreases the overall passenger comfort.

still, it's just an excellent place to spend large amounts of time.

Honestly, the 6 has beed so fan-damn-tastic that it makes me really want to drive one of the new Otters even though I LOVE my paid-for Mustang.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
9/10/14 12:12 p.m.

I want to know how tall Mtns girlfriend is. My wife is 6'1" and long legged and she fits in my 95 just fine

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/10/14 12:15 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: I want to know how tall Mtns girlfriend is. My wife is 6'1" and long legged and she fits in my 95 just fine

Ditto, I'm 6' and didn’t' even have the driver’s seat all the way back on the tracks with my old NA, admittedly that was 30lb's ago around the middle, but I still fit in an NA fine these days.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
9/10/14 12:59 p.m.

at 6'1" and 235 I fit in an NA a whole lot better than an NB. Haven't really tried an NC.

That girl must be 7' tall.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/10/14 1:08 p.m.
codrus wrote:
Autolex wrote:
FM had an unmounted rollbar sitting in their garage at Laguna, I'd assume that was for the NC. I didn't really pay attention because I don't own one and have no plans to own one. :)

I'll put up details once the trailer is unloaded.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
9/10/14 1:44 p.m.

Any idea when they will release info on engines?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
9/10/14 8:50 p.m.

Keith Tanner: Making very good cars even better.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eQf63fw9k9MR58gj4eEeMDAeVUcBtmCBow3rSy873so5qnoB8lBY9NdWcVG0SjZ6