16 17 18
kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/10/14 9:07 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Dissenting voice here... That catfish face is horrible. I like the profile, but not the front. And the rear view screen- uggh. There is no reason it couldn't have been integrated better.

I think catfish are beautiful animals so i'm liking it quite a bit.

Sultan
Sultan Dork
9/10/14 9:25 p.m.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/10/14 10:13 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ2e718dZt8

Here's what I hope the engine note sounds like.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/11/14 8:04 a.m.

So for those hating on the tablet in the dash, I said up thread it was a modern trend. I snapped this, this morning of a BMW i3

And google provided this of the current VW polo

Sorry folks, there's more to come. It's the elecrtic windows or Bluetooth of the twenty teens, gotta prove your upscale and teccy with the latest interior gadgets

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
9/11/14 10:34 a.m.

I for one welcome our new driver's line of sight information overlords.

bgkast
bgkast SuperDork
9/11/14 11:10 a.m.

Looks like no power hard top.

http://m.automobilemag.com/features/news/1409-will-the-2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-offer-a-power-retractable-hardtop/?__federated=1

codrus
codrus HalfDork
9/11/14 11:16 a.m.

This is one case where I think the extra weight and complexity of a motor that hides the screen when not in use is worthwhile.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
9/11/14 12:05 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Looks like no power hard top. http://m.automobilemag.com/features/news/1409-will-the-2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-offer-a-power-retractable-hardtop/?__federated=1

That would be a really really bad idea not to have one. It's been super Successful. Anyone know the number of soft tops to PRHT sold in the US for NC's?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/11/14 12:07 p.m.

Mazda was very specifically non-committal on tops. I'm pretty sure that any "reports" you see are just speculation, now that all the spy photographers have been well and truly scooped by Mazda.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
9/11/14 8:18 p.m.

I already posted earlier in the thread, but I'll post it again:

I also love the catfish face. So does my wife.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/11/14 8:23 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
bgkast wrote: Looks like no power hard top. http://m.automobilemag.com/features/news/1409-will-the-2016-mazda-mx-5-miata-offer-a-power-retractable-hardtop/?__federated=1
That would be a really really bad idea not to have one. It's been super Successful. Anyone know the number of soft tops to PRHT sold in the US for NC's?

I just read something that said that 52% of NC's (in the last year maybe?) Were retractable hard tops. Pretty hard to ignore and with those numbers I'm sure it's baked into the car somehow.

mblommel
mblommel Reader
9/11/14 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Will this be the first hot new "infotainment" aftermarket item for the ND?

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/11/14 9:21 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: So for those hating on the tablet in the dash, I said up thread it was a modern trend. I snapped this, this morning of a BMW i3 And google provided this of the current VW polo Sorry folks, there's more to come. It's the elecrtic windows or Bluetooth of the twenty teens, gotta prove your upscale and teccy with the latest interior gadgets

LMAO.

So I could just put a car mount on my dash and put my tablet on there and have it look "modern".

That polo is a particular offender. Looks like someone just has their Garmin mounted off their windshield.

Brett_Murphy wrote: I already posted earlier in the thread, but I'll post it again: I also love the catfish face. So does my wife.

That catfish actually looks quite nice. It must be the premium edition.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
9/13/14 2:26 p.m.

I don't mind the look of the new model, though I'll admit that the mouth is a tad weak.

But give it some balls ferkrisake! They have excellent turbo motors available that with a bit of repackaging would put them in the near 300 bhp range as a special higher end model and the prestige from that sort of giant killer would trickle down to the benefit of the regular priced more modestly powered models.

And if I had a second wish, redo the rear as a fastback coupe like the BMW Z4M......

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/16/14 7:09 p.m.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1409_2016_mazda_mx_5_miata_more_secrets_revealed.html

Well that's sure disappointing.

I doubt we will be getting anything more than that 1.5 too given recent history from Japanese companies on cars like this. 350/370z, RX8, MRS, FRS, etc all are single engine choice cars.

Warren v
Warren v HalfDork
9/16/14 7:32 p.m.

I'm hoping the rumors are wrong about it being the only engine for a year. It would be nice if the 1.5 is the lower-spec engine in other markets, like how they gave a choice between 1.8 and 2.0 in the NC, and 1.6 and 1.8 in the NB.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/16/14 7:38 p.m.

2250lbs and 130 HP. That's 17.3lbs per HP.
The FRS/BRS is 2762lbs and 200hp. 13.8 lbs per HP. All we hear about is how underpowered the Frisbee cars are. This does not bode well for the Miata.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider HalfDork
9/16/14 8:42 p.m.

Why is everyone so caught up on the story from Australia about the 1.5L engine?

We have always gotten larger than the base motor since 1993. That engine is the tax man special for countries that tax cars based off CO2 emissions. It will never see the light of day in the US.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/16/14 8:50 p.m.

Right now, all the motoring press is trying to jump on the Miata bandwagon since it's getting a lot of attention. The spy photographers got euchred by Mazda's reveal, so they're just publishing posterially obtained information.

Ignore it. Who cares what the attention whores say? What matters is what Mazda says, as they're the only ones who know and they're not talking. Anything else is speculation, and we can't do anything to change it anyhow.

My bet is a 2.0 running right around 200 hp. But I'm not going to do anything about that until I have solid info.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
9/16/14 8:59 p.m.

Maybe Subaru and Scion are the unnamed source for the 1.5l/130hp rumors.

Harvey
Harvey Reader
9/16/14 9:53 p.m.
My bet is a 2.0 running right around 200 hp. But I'm not going to do anything about that until I have solid info.

I've been thinking this as well. At the very least they are not going to give the car less power than the previous version here in America. You just can't get away with that here, it will be a marketing debacle.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/16/14 10:24 p.m.

130 HP out of the 1.5L at 2250 lbs ain't too bad. That's 17.3 lbs/hp

Remember the orignal had a 1.6L at 115hp and 2150 lbs That's 18.9 lbs/hp

My favorite NA was the 1.8L and it had 131~3 hp at 2180. So a completly new car, with all the new safety stuff and it has gained 70 lbs.

I can live with 70 lbs. I will actually wait until the 2.0L comes out. Right now it is 155hp in fuel efficient Mazda 3 trim. I am thinking maybe 165~170 hp in Miata trim? Say it gains 100 lbs due to creep that is 2350, so 14.2 lbs per hp Not that long ago that was Pony car territory.

So as Cartman would say...

16 17 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nzaZJEzQiwEwifri419BncHwOZngivk8V9F8oeQeu4GbQJtkA2MkUPxKR76Qp5H4