1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/12/21 5:54 p.m.
aircooled said:
Keith Tanner said:

...Generally speaking, engine swaps with a newer engine means you have to use the emissions of that newer engine....

Unless... the car you are putting it in does not require smog tests or inspections.  Then you can do whatever you want.  Which would seem to apply in the OP's case.

That said of course, not a lot of reasons not to put a smog compliant new motor in an old car.

I guess it depends on if we're talking legally or practically. I'm most familiar with the CA regs for motor swaps, and I'm pretty sure the age of the motor rule still applies even if the car is still old. A Model T with an LS engine would have to meet the LS emissions requirements. You might not have to do annual inspections so nobody knows, just don't get your hood popped at a roadside check.

But hey, I'm getting in the way of a fun thought experiment :) Carry on.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) Dork
11/12/21 6:25 p.m.

I had an '71 MBG-GT that was a lot of fun.  If you found a '67 B-GT and threw in an aluminum 218 V8, it would keep the flavor of the time.  For something a bit more modern, I found an ad for a a '71 B-GT with a Duratec 2.3 (now sold) that looks like it would be a keeper. 

https://engineswapdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/1971-MGB-GT-with-a-2.3-L-Duratec-Inline-Four-03.jpg

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/12/21 8:26 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Just look at what the California-based hot rodding magazines build, because that's why they build what they build :) Also be aware that "throwing in an LS" may mean you have to meet the emissions requirements of the newer engine - or maybe you can use the EROD, which has an EO for any car built before 1996. Generally speaking, engine swaps with a newer engine means you have to use the emissions of that newer engine.

Handling is not a concern of the EPA, just emissions. You're mostly musing on handling mods. Something to think about there too. I'm not really seeing the need for a pre-68 given what's in your post, you could go nearly 30 years newer.

Minnesota and several other states have no inspections or regulations.  When we did have it was extremely rare for cars to fail. They didn't find enough to justify the costs.  

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
11/13/21 5:55 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Chevelle, because they are a much, much better driving car than a Falcon or Dart.

Or Cutlass, with 455.

Ya that's what I was thinking too. GM A bodies..... Cutlass, Malibu, Lemans, Regal, Century, Skylark etc. Big plus El Camino. Lots of after market stuff out there.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/13/21 8:12 a.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

Actually drum brakes properly set up will out stop disk brakes.  At least until they fade.   
  Drum brakes have dual self servo's. The design wedges the linings into the drum and  that lining is much bigger than a disk brake pad.  If you've ever driven a properly adjusted power brakes Buick you'd understand. 
To be fair few mechanics know how to do drum brakes anymore. Even fewer have the equipment needed to arc the shoes  to the radius of the drums. 
   Aside from the self adjusting nature of disk brakes, the resistance to fade and the ability wipe a rotor off rather than try to compress water in a drum brake system.  Those aluminum finned brakes are Beautiful. 

RaabTheSaab
RaabTheSaab New Reader
11/13/21 11:04 a.m.
A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/13/21 11:21 a.m.
pilotbraden said:

1st generation Buick Riviera. They are very competent.  I have run the Ortega Highway between Dana point and lake elsinore many times in 64 and 65 Rivieras the brakes need improvement. Going uphill they are fun

Meh.  Go '63 so you get that goofy azzed transmission that DOES NOT go P-RNDL like every other auto.  That and no transmission shop will touch it either.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/13/21 11:59 a.m.

Another vote for second generation Corvairs. Exceptional ride and handling for the time. (IMO) great looks. Limited speed potential with stock engine, but something like a reverse rotation v6 will wake it up aplenty. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/13/21 1:27 p.m.

I was drooling today on a mint condition Chevelle SS 396...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/13/21 1:40 p.m.
EvanB said:

Volvo Amazon

The problem won't be emissions, it will be rust.  

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/13/21 8:42 p.m.

I bought a 2nd gen corvair when faced with a similar scenario.

Handles well for a 60's car, looks incredible, inexpensive to buy.  Its not fast but its not significantly slower than the 67 chevelle it replaced and it drives much better overall.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
11/13/21 8:47 p.m.
pilotbraden said:

1st generation Buick Riviera. They are very competent.  I have run the Ortega Highway between Dana point and lake elsinore many times in 64 and 65 Rivieras the brakes need improvement. Going uphill they are fun

I believe there were Rivieras before the 63 version. Don't know if they were referred to as  'generations' or part thereof back then. But cool choice.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
11/13/21 8:50 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

Handles well for a 60's car, looks incredible, inexpensive to buy.  Its not fast but its not significantly slower than the 67 chevelle it replaced and it drives much better overall.

That's sweet 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/13/21 11:32 p.m.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/14/21 6:40 a.m.

I'm pretty hoplelessly a Ford guy, and my current project needs to scratch my small block V8 lust.

But otherwise, yeah, I'd be all over a second gen Corvair.

stan
stan UltraDork
11/14/21 11:31 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

That's sweet 

Sweet indeed! Is that yours pimp-guy?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/14/21 3:31 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

The problem is you aren't doing a very good job of looking down the road. 
  Do you think gas will stay the price it is  in the future?    Same with parts,   Parts that cost a few bucks back then are in the hundreds now and likely in the thousands  in the future. 
       Not only that but older stuff wears out faster than newer stuff.   Car of that era are done once they hit 100,000 miles. Oh sure,  you can rebuild, restore  but at what cost?  Now calculate the cost per mile to own the older stuff.  While newer stuff lasts twice as long or longer. 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
11/14/21 5:05 p.m.

Impala coupe

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/14/21 7:17 p.m.

In reply to stan :

It is in fact mine.  I have had it for several trouble free years.  It is a 1966 corsa 4-speed.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
11/14/21 7:41 p.m.

Killer looking Corvair!

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
11/14/21 11:48 p.m.

In reply to stan :

It is in fact mine.  I have had it for several trouble free years.  It is a 1966 corsa 4-speed.

140 or turbo?

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
11/15/21 7:03 a.m.

It is a turbo.  The original motor is in pieces in my garage awaiting the heads at the machine shop.  Its running a 110 with 2 carbs at the moment.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/15/21 7:15 a.m.

If the modern answer to everything is Miata, then the vintage answer has to be spridget...

Add a 5 speed swap and drive it like a 4 wheeled motorcycle and you have a fun ride. 65mph in it feels like 100+ in the mustang next to it.

That said, if larger is a must, I've been craving a yenko stinger clone. That or how terrible yet exciting a flathead swapped MGTD would be.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
11/15/21 7:25 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

If the modern answer to everything is Miata, then the vintage answer has to be spridget...

Add a 5 speed swap and drive it like a 4 wheeled motorcycle and you have a fun ride. 65mph in it feels like 100+ in the mustang next to it.

That said, if larger is a must, I've been craving a yenko stinger clone. That or how terrible yet exciting a flathead swapped MGTD would be.

You are absolutely right. Vintage sports cars feel a lot faster than they are. That sporty feeling at closer to legal speeds should satisfy  anyones desire for a fun daily  driver.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/15/21 8:29 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

True, but you need to have an awareness that you don't have pretty much any safety. My Bugeye lacks a collapsable steering column, door intrusion bars, anything pretty much resembling a crash structure, and I am looking at semi truck lug nuts eye level while driving. 

Like I said, 4 wheeled motorcycle.  

I guess at least the spridget doesn't give a false sense of security like other cars of the era might.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9FMPgkIYU7AyyFesUuuXtI61MHqvECv5jTH37tkzHqV3AQWSFvVLeEGeGZSjS0sR