NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/8/18 5:20 p.m.

What would the hive recommend? 

Looking for a fun family car that can carry two child car seats, one of them rear facing.

Around $20k, 2016 or newer, with some leeway.

Will be my wife's commuter, she drives 10 minutes, and shared on weekends. Wish I was looking and she could take my sorento appliance.

Occasional autocross hopefully. Manual required by me, she accepts.

She used to have a 2005 MINI and likes them but after testing the 2018 clubman (and countryman ) she was not impressed and neither was I, although could live with an S. We would not fit on their 5 door. Also a bit proud of their product $.

On paper the 2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport looks like it could fit the bill but have not tested it. More power than the S and an inch away in dimensions. 

The chevy cruze hatchback with the suspension/exhaust upgrade ($3k) would be also similar. I'm also a chevy guy at heart although not lately by my acts.  

That means no ford focus. Also no VW, would be replacing a VW Passat that I truly dislike everything but engine and transmission. 

Her requirements are, more or less,  she would like it to feel nice (?), which the passat interior does for her,  no full black interior, and heated seats.

Could also end up with a less sporty 5 door that she likes and I get a challenged priced car for autocross, hooning and maybe the gambler 500 ( planning on taking my jeep xj so far).

Thoughts and expiriences welcomed. Thanks. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/8/18 6:26 p.m.

I didnt see mazda 3 on that list. It should be  

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/8/18 6:34 p.m.

Should be although I'm not a fan of the looks. It has improved since the goofy grin. Have also seen rusty ones here in Texas. 

In reality it looks similar to the elantra and cruze now.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/8/18 6:35 p.m.

Mazda3 would be high on my list. The Elantra GT is pretty cool as well. I would have strongly considered if it was available with LSD. 

I know you said no VW, but right now you could pick up a new '18 GTI for right around $20k (S model), and for 2018 VW's warranty is 'yuuuuuge. I had always hated VWs in general and swore never to buy another (we had an early '00s Jetta), but I just bought a new GTI, FWIW.  It surprised me to actually like the car, so maybe it'll change your mind too. Manual trans easy to find on dealer lots...

nocones
nocones UltraDork
11/8/18 6:52 p.m.

I have an Emantra GT sport Manual.  I like it.  I was looking at wjat you are looking for and it seemed to offer the most sport/comfort/practicality for the money.  The GTI offers the LSD but I did not find it to be more engaging to drive.   I'm not suggesting that the EGTS is as good as a GTI but it is a compelling package for ~7K less then a comparable equipment.  Mine has 19K miles with no issues and is averaging just over 30MPG in mixed.  It also runs on 87 octane just fine.  Interiors is all black with some red contrast.  Rear seat room is great, suitable for adults 

The Civic Sport is worth a look if you don't hate the looks.  It drives very nice and has a little more rear room then everyone else.  

Dave M
Dave M New Reader
11/8/18 7:10 p.m.

Mazda 3 with a stick.

14' WRX?

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/8/18 8:54 p.m.

I do like how the VW look, more or less. Rented a Seat Leon turbo diesel in Spain which was great. It's the same as the Golf. I remember thinking that it was exactly the car I needed. 

I find them over engineered in a complicated way and difficult to work on, but the main reason is politics. Politics as in in-laws. They think VW are great and just for that reason and for all I've bashed the cars, I can't. :-)

I know, silly human. 

Need to test drive the elantra gt sport and the Mazda 3. 

WRX's are a bit more $, awd that I don't need and none of my hats are flat. Do like them otherwise. 

Any expiriences with the cruze?

Thanks

bpstanaway
bpstanaway
11/9/18 12:01 a.m.

Panamera

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/9/18 5:52 a.m.

Has anyone mentioned the Mazda3 yet?  smiley

The list should pretty much start and end there.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
11/9/18 5:58 a.m.
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/9/18 7:02 a.m.

Since you have the EGT on the list, check its sister the Forte5.

Here's the perfect Candidate

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
11/9/18 8:13 a.m.

In the same boat, but at half the cost and one less kid seat.

Mazda3, Elantra GT (Like the look, idk why), and Focus are just about my only options. I like the Fiesta and the Fit, but they're a tad too small and offer next to nothing on MPG compared to their bigger brethern.

I hate the Cruze, but the hatch does look pretty decent from the outside.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/9/18 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Sonic :

That's a good comparison piece, didn't have the Honda in my radar. It does comment that the Mazda 3 had the tightest back seat which doesn't help its case.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/9/18 10:58 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I like it, thanks. Do like the look of the elantra gt more and the sport would have the better rear suspension but should drive both. 

On the question of hyundai/kia, would it be worth paying a little more for new so as to have the full 10 year, 100k mile warranty? Vs the 6/60k or a used one.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/9/18 11:00 a.m.

In reply to FuzzWuzzy :

If the model year doesn't change much for the better, I will probably find a low milage one for $12 to 15k. 

Wondering about the new '19 Mazda3 and if it's worth taking a look. We are in no hurry.  

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/9/18 11:29 a.m.

I see that the civic changes to cvt only for 2019.

spandak
spandak Reader
11/9/18 12:06 p.m.

It’s not super sporty but the Impreza comes in a hatchback form. The engine is poky but mileage is good and reviews I’ve read indicate the chassis is pretty decent. 

Edit: spelling

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/9/18 1:37 p.m.

In reply to spandak :

Should be worth a drive if a manual is available. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/9/18 2:10 p.m.

In reply to NoBrakesRacing :

Either or. The 10/100 is just powertrain. The one I linked is still a new car. so it would still have the full warranty. I've had so few things go wrong with any of our Hy/Kia cars under the 60k mark (0 to be exact) that I haven't worried. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
11/9/18 9:51 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Hadn't noticed it was new. Interesting. 

We have a 2011 kia sorento with 87k that has only needed one a/c hose since we bought it at 32k 5 years ago. I do the maintenance on it.

That's why I'm looking at them. It's also still in very good shape, inside and out. 

My family has a couple more kias without any issues.

Surprisingly the kumhos we bought it with still have 5 to 7/32.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c0T0nqZIPPfaeVOiHdgM0Yw0yp5ZZhHUGUNL3y6CbUTyHvnurmckSDT5vkPZMKB4