Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/21/22 6:11 p.m.

I'm looking for something to sit right at the A pillar like these.  I'm looking for a little more vintage but my google skills are failing me because I can't find a term that just returns this style.

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
3/21/22 6:12 p.m.

DTM?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/21/22 6:17 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

That gets me a lot more results. Thanks.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/21/22 7:11 p.m.
Slippery said:

DTM?

Those usually have a two post standoff. I have called them "cup" mirrors in the past. 

SEADave
SEADave Dork
3/21/22 7:16 p.m.

Would a Vitaloni Sebring work?  

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
3/21/22 7:27 p.m.

I have an old pair of Vitalonis that I bought at the Lime Rock vintage festival a few years ago. I'll try to get some photos. 

Shadeux
Shadeux Dork
3/21/22 7:40 p.m.

It's really cold?

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/21/22 7:43 p.m.

I don't know what kind of car these were originally on, but they are super light and dirt simple. They'd be easy to mount on just about anything. Not really sure if I want to part with them, but I don't have anything to put them on either, and that's not likely in the near future.  Maybe the photos will help give you some ideas. 

Made in Italy. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/21/22 7:46 p.m.

I want something that fits tight up on the A pillar but it'll be on a vintage American car.  You guys are giving me ideas.

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
3/21/22 8:50 p.m.

We have run Talbot mirrors on some of the E36 M3 we built. Which is all vintage American. We modify the bases, but those are a good more "period" and American Vintage correct mirror, as guys were running them on their junk in the 50s 60s and 70s. All over the place. As well as on British and well..everything race car. 

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
3/21/22 9:28 p.m.

I've always called them DTM mirrors.

FYI: they kind of suck at being actual, functional mirrors. 

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/21/22 9:54 p.m.

In reply to GaryC83 :

While cool who would think they would be so expensive.  I didn't know simple mirrors would be such a rabbit hole.  Currently I'm leaning towards simple motorcycle mirrors.  They'll give me the low profile I want with a limited view.  I'll just make sure I never have to back up.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
3/21/22 9:56 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Those are cool and would work mounted 90 degrees off but damn for a company I never knew about they're expensive.

GaryC83
GaryC83 New Reader
3/21/22 11:26 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to GaryC83 :

While cool who would think they would be so expensive.  I didn't know simple mirrors would be such a rabbit hole.  Currently I'm leaning towards simple motorcycle mirrors.  They'll give me the low profile I want with a limited view.  I'll just make sure I never have to back up.

Dirty secret? Amazon has a knock off that's actually decent quality for about $30. I've bought and modified a few sets from there... I have a set on my work bench right now.  Theyre called GT racing mirrors or some such BS

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/22/22 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Slippery.  =~ )

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
3/22/22 8:45 a.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

I don't know what kind of car these were originally on, but they are super light and dirt simple. They'd be easy to mount on just about anything. Not really sure if I want to part with them, but I don't have anything to put them on either, and that's not likely in the near future.  Maybe the photos will help give you some ideas. 

Made in Italy. 

Those are supercool!

Could put them on BaT described as Miura mirrors and get mad cash!

^

Extreme example there with the ebay listing, but still, people go nuts sometimes when seeking authenticity LOL and yours look to be period for sure.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
3/22/22 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Oldboy Speedwell :

Yeah, they probably came off of somebody's old Miura....

wink

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/22/22 9:26 a.m.

Not the same, but the style goes back decades. 
Summit has them for sale, cheap. Capture that perfect JC Whitney look.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/25/22 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Looks like the mirrors used on the Ruf CTR Yellowbird. 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
6/14/22 2:07 p.m.

I made a custom set for my old 330i. Not sure if the look flowed that great but it was a fun project.

tb
tb Dork
6/14/22 2:21 p.m.

My first thought was the small motorcycle mirrors that you have already thought of.

If all you need is something to pass as close enough maybe look at "pig spotter" type mirrors for easy fitment and get a backup camera to replace your center mirror with an lcd screen?

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
6/14/22 2:33 p.m.

In reply to tb :

Backup camera and lcd screen doesn't say race car. How you been?  Haven't seen you post in a bit.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
6/14/22 3:02 p.m.

I met a guy a few weeks ago that put MC mirrors on the fenders of a BMW 2002, it looked really slick and they were his turn signal too. Wish I had taken some pics.

tb
tb Dork
6/14/22 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Understood. Race car means don't worry about what is behind you!

I've been good, staying busy customizing the Z and working on my health. Im pushing 400 horses these days and got this wheels a tires figured out. Next step is weight loss and suspension decisions. I can post a bit more because I get lazy and sit on my porch or the beach a lot this time of year... 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
6/15/22 1:17 a.m.

Those are shrek ears.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iEiEUkVbE9mKt4TvfRRf7YW8R4zTGlghNKhSfrwxdmQdP31efkh2GlJSnr6wG6OS