1 2 3
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/9/21 11:11 a.m.

Like the car for sale ads that describe the modifications: Too much to list.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
11/9/21 11:16 a.m.

Fix the heated seat, install stereo, reinstall interior, and finish rust repair for the truck. It looks like a cow, all white with black POR15 spots around the wheel opening.

Prelude needs a rear main seal, steering rack rebuilt, and further development of the tune.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
11/9/21 11:27 a.m.

The fun aspect of modern Volkswagen ownership, or German cars in general, is that they tend to go to E36 M3 and total themselves through mechanical failure. If you're lazy with the maintenance this process is accelerated.

With that, I can proudly say that my GTI is exceptionally well maintained, and still broken down in my garage because a fuel injector failed.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/9/21 11:33 a.m.

After the AWD was returned to functionality, the brakes started grinding a little.  It's just the backing plates hitting the rust ridge, but still.  Debating on machining the rotors or unleashing the parts cannon with new everything when I swap pads.

260k = time to flush the ATF since it is 60k old.  Change the Haldex fluid and filter since they are 30k old.  Brake fluid is also 30k old.

4 months from my birthday = time to replace the downpipe, cat, and rear O2 sensor, because a boating incident damaged the rear O2 and the cat has been on the edge of failing catalyst monitor for a while, and hope that I don't need to rebuild the PCV system.  It SHOULD be okay, but the law of conservation of mechanical entropy suggests that as soon as I repair one thing, something else will need attention (see: brakes)

OnTheChip
OnTheChip New Reader
11/9/21 11:34 a.m.

Power steering pump on my 04 Frontier is whining.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/9/21 11:34 a.m.

Heater pipes on the FreeMW E46. Parts are reasonably priced, but the job itself is intimidating. I'm watching every video I can find on the procedure and ordering all the parts I might need ahead of time. I'm budgeting at least two days of careful wrenching for the job. At least it isn't my daily.

outasite
outasite HalfDork
11/9/21 12:22 p.m.

Sold house and moved in with relatives while new house was being built. Most of belongings, tools, boat and Miata went into 3 storage units. Maintenance was not done during summer months. Finally closed on house mid October and spent 2 weeks moving everything under one roof. Next 2 weeks was spent organizing/finding things. Now I am attempting to do LOF, air and cabin filters, wiper blades and install winter tires on Tacoma and CX5. Need to wash, clean interior and cover Miata. Winter is predicted to start with cold and rain/snow later this week. 

tb
tb Dork
11/9/21 12:30 p.m.

At the moment I am putting of everything car related for another day.

Dishwasher threw a fault code and went inop except for the alert chime every 30 seconds. I have lots of tools, so I must be able to fix it, right? At least, that is what my wife thinks...

Slightly more accessible than rear spark plugs and a little less exertion than bench pressing a transmission but not a fun job so far. Hence, my break to browse the forum!

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
11/9/21 12:45 p.m.

Mini: Winter tire swap and rear brake pads/rotors.

Truck: shocks and exhaust leak.

Probably time to face the idea that waiting to finish the shop and do the Mini stuff on the lift is going to be too long... The truck is just going to have to wait.

Er... making up a reference for Mini scheduled maintenance since there isn't a manual and I'm disinclined to pay BMW a Bentley manual's price for every two days of access to the online TIS... Basics are probably in the owner's manual, but that's really written with a bias toward instruction on how to book a slot at the dealer.

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
11/9/21 12:50 p.m.

Got a new power steering pump for the daily LS400 in March and need to install it.

PS works, it just leaks and has already killed the alternator twice. I made a shield for it out of a jug but that's no peace of mind.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/9/21 12:59 p.m.

"putting off maintenance.." was why I sold my TDI a few weeks ago. Started on the various tasks back in 2013... as of late 2021, still not done. 

Fortunately, the minivan doesn't need anything.  Since it's the main DD, I don't put off whatever it needs. 

The MINI could use an oil change, although it is a modern engine running full synthetic oil.  Otherwise, I mainly need to clean it more often.

The GT6 needs the transmission swapped, and then ever rubber part inspected and probably replaced. All rubber fuel lines replaced. New tires.  I need to get it reliable and sorted prior to a drive to Nova Scotia next Fall. 

Spitfire needs its new engine installed. Right rear wheel bearing. I have a set of GT6 uprights and brakes.  More odds and ends.  That will likely be a Spring project after I address the GT6 needs. 

The E350 needs to be washed, batteries charged, somehow get it to start, and then listed and sold.

Edit. Einy below reminded me both Triumphs need the valves adjusted/checked.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/9/21 2:09 p.m.

I don't think my tires are quite to the wear bars yet... that should be good for a few more months, right?

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
11/9/21 2:10 p.m.

Up until the other day... Yes... Plugs, reseal, hoses, fluids, vacuuming the crap out of it... 

PHG also reminded me I'm like a year into the clutch replacement (and turbo) on the TL without turning a bolt

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/9/21 2:12 p.m.

Overdue replacing the front bumper on the wife's Suburban because deer are stupid.

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
11/9/21 2:26 p.m.

Timing belt/water pump on the Miata, which was last done 12 years and 45k miles ago.  Not a terrible job...but if I'm going to drain the coolant, I ought to replace the original radiator whose top has turned green, and all the coolant hoses from 1991 including the Cursed Water Plug.  What if I fark up and damage the fragile heater core?  Then the dash has to come out.  And it's a short-nose crank with no wobble and it runs great...what if I can't get the bolt off the crank pulley?  Or worse, get the bolt off and discover keyway damage?

Then the devil pops up on my shoulder and says, "It's a non-interference engine.  Keep driving.  Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/9/21 2:28 p.m.

The PO-installed low oil pressure warning light on the Manic Miata was lit.  I tracked down the wiring and successfully confirmed it is a wiring fault, not a mechanical oil pressure issue.

In the process I discovered the the power steering rack is weeping somewhere, enough to dampen the bottom of the engine.  Power steering looks and feels fine.

I put the plastic undertray back where it belongs and sent it at autocross the next day.

[edit]  Oh, yeah, I also need to figure out if the heater core is leaking (which I fear) or if it is just the dinged-up end of the brass tube through the firewall allowing a little coolant to squirt through into the footwell (which I hope).  Right now it's bypassed with a loop.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
11/9/21 2:31 p.m.

My e82 has a slight oil leak, dang it

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
11/9/21 3:07 p.m.

The brake caliper slide pin on my Outback...............they get loose and start rattling.

The power steering hose on the van; I put Lucas Stop Leak in it three years ago and now it barely leaks.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/9/21 4:07 p.m.

I really need to do a valve adjustment on my Honda Element. It has 167k miles and I have nothing to lead me to believe that it's ever been done. I really need to do it because tight valves can really cause bigger troubles. I last adjusted valves on a Honda K engine on my last Element about 10 years ago. I seem to remember it was a bit annoying. And my back hurts just thinking about doing the valves closest to the firewall.

And there's a suspension rattle in the back of the same car. I'm sure it's end links and sway bar bushings. At least that's super easy to do.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/9/21 4:41 p.m.

I need to also do a valve adjustment, or at least a check, on my 174k old Civic's 1.8 liter.  Pretty sure it was never done either, but don't know that for sure.  That said, it does make more top end ticking noise when dead cold, that goes away as it warms up, leading me to believe they are loose if anything, but ???

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
11/9/21 4:56 p.m.

Honda valves usually let you know they are too tight by a light load/idle misfire that only happens partway between dead cold and warmed up.  I think the valve stems heat up faster than the head, so for that brief window the valves are too long.  At first, anyway.

I have only seen this happen on engines over 200k miles.  Not saying you aren't due, but I wouldn't doubt that you'd find everything to be in spec or even slightly loose.  Loose better than tight by a far sight.

(Remember, modern engines are unreliable junk compared to the good old days smiley )

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) Dork
11/9/21 5:42 p.m.

Bride's XC60 with 125K needs the serpentine belt, tensioner, and water pump done.  Already have the parts, just can't get the car long enough to do the work.  Also ought to replace the 'permanent' fluid in the trans while I am there.

Now that I think about it, the differential and transfer case need to be done on the 2500HD.

*sigh*

Error404
Error404 Reader
11/9/21 9:07 p.m.

Mustang is starved for air and drowns in fuel in the wet, also feels more anemic than some Uhaul trucks I've driven, hoping it's that. Also fills with exhaust to a concerning degree with one window more than halfway up, high priority fix. And it still drains batteries if I don't disconnect the positive terminal when I turn everything off and get out. And still isn't properly tuned.

GTI needs a DSG fluid change, oil change, headliner drop/redo to fix the leaky sunroof, and it's leaking brake fluid somewhere. Also there's a clunk in the right front on low speed, high steering right turns (like a parking lot). And the LCD on the radio did the thing that LCDs but I can't find a replacement that maintains the look and my 6-CD changer (that I prefer so much more than futzing with streaming music and bright displays). Also I need to pull the front seats and have them re-upholstered. And the drivers tweeter is shot, I should get that replaced. And the fog lights have been unplugged for a period of time that I don't want to think about.

Bike needs new clutch and brake levers, both front and back on the brakes, the filler cap drain is clogged, the filler cap is rusty, the spark plugs should be replaced, the valves should be checked, oil and coolant could probably use a change, front brake lever feels like it needs another bleed, and I really need to do something about a couple of spots of rust on the tank. Front sprocket could probably use a look after almost 30k miles. Tires need replacing in the near future, along with brake lines to make me feel better.

House needs new windows, an attic fan, new blinds put up, and the master shower needs regrouted. And the enamel is long gone of the older-than-I-am sink. And the faucet left it's last leg a couple miles back. And I really need to finish repainting the other 2/3rds of the interior walls. And the trees could use a trim. And I'm pretty sure the sprinklers still leak. And the garage is a "I'm still moving in after 2 years" level mess.

Right side dust cap doesn't want to seat firmly on the trailer, stays on but loose. And the decking I put on was promptly soaked and may not handle the water well, needs eval and weather resistancing. And the brake lights don't work when hooked up to the Mustang, although the Mustang brake lights do. And I don't have anywhere to store it long term so it's taking up a quarter of my driveway doing nothing.

That's off the top of my head, pretty sure that I'm forgetting a few things.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/9/21 11:50 p.m.

My LR3 has a bad suspension ride height sensor. I have had the new one for six months but my shop is full of bus and I don't want to fix it on the gravel so I ignore it. Every few trips to town I get the red suspension light and the air bags deflate. I shift into neutral, cycle the key on and off, and I am good to go for a couple more weeks. My wife is horrified and will not drive it now so win win.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/10/21 6:26 a.m.

H2 cat back

H2 Exhaust manifold studs 

H2 shocks. 

Sierra Denali. Brake lines. (Truck may go to the scrapper as the motor was starting to make bad noises). 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lQ451lARxOu367IfxncEXKOXveC98nLC15F2wc9QRjDQ22YmfcJn1ELz77fwxrRB