1 2
P3PPY
P3PPY
8/15/18 12:13 p.m.

I wasn't looking for a Z4, I wasn't looking for a BMW, I wasn't looking for a roadster, I wasn't even looking for anything built in the last 45 years. But then I found it and I LOVE it. I love it more than I loved my Camaro in high school. And that's saying something.

BUT I got a really good deal on it and after fixing some things I'm going to sell it. My wife and I need the profit$ more than I need this car, even though I love it and I got to do my first Track Night in America with it a month or so back. 

The internet says it's 3020 lbs and 225 hp, giving it a power to weight of 13.4. I'd like to stick around that area; too much faster gets boring on the street  with the fast car slow, vs slow car fast thing. And not much slower because the seat of my pants would be mad at me.

So what is out there that's RWD, light-er-ish (I love how it corners) and about that same PTWR and in the ~$4k range (I have to pocket SOME of the proceeds!) Convertible would be nice. Stick would be good but wife would prefer auto, so it's a toss-up there.

Here's what I've found so far in the Kansas area:

Miata = not powerful enough stock

Z3 = looks are meh, but maybe

Solstice = ? too expensize?

Sky = ? too expensive?

350Z = too heavy to feel light?

Mustang = too heavy to feel light?

Camaro = too heavy to feel light?

Audi = too many wheel drive

BMW convertible sedans I'm nervous of repair costs

Lexus convertible = ?

Z4 in worse shape = is that the only option?

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
8/15/18 12:14 p.m.

986 boxster. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/15/18 12:18 p.m.

MR2 Spyder

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/15/18 1:20 p.m.

The internet says it's 3020 lbs and 225 hp, giving it a power to weight of 13.4. I'd like to stick around that area; too much faster gets boring on the street  with the fast car slow, vs slow car fast thing.

I feel like it's more of a torque/weight than power/weight thing.  For example, from my 996 experience you probably wouldn't know it was any faster  than your z4 until 5000rpm or so, but then theres  70 extra hp. If you're not struggling to hook it up all the time there's not much downside.  As another example, one of my turbo minivans lost a street race to a v6 camaro (which i knew it would but i was humoring because the vans are sort of like mascots for the students) because it won't hook on street tires until 3rd gear (=jail speeds on surface streets) on 'high boost'. So it is much slower on the street than the track. The 996 would outrun it eventually but it gives you 100% on the street because it always hooks. So, maybe a little more power/weight is not a bad thing if it doesn't feel like it's always held back by the circumstances.  

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 Reader
8/15/18 1:37 p.m.

I don't think a $4k boxster is the answer.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
8/15/18 1:44 p.m.

What is your sell price on the Z4?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
8/15/18 2:00 p.m.

The 3.0 is a really good match for the Z4, they drive like an E36 M3.  Much more engaging to drive than an early base Boxster.  If I were you I'd keep it.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
8/15/18 2:05 p.m.

I'd probably keep it, and see if you could fix another car to flip.  It's going to be tough to meet your criteria within your budget.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/15/18 2:08 p.m.

Find another Z4 that needs work?

P3PPY
P3PPY New Reader
8/15/18 2:55 p.m.

In reply to NordicSaab :

It all depends. Ballpark would be $8.

I'm going to see what the market will bear then go a little lower just to move it. It has 130k on it and some minor rough interior bits but people are asking from $7-12 for these things even though KBB says like $5.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
8/15/18 3:11 p.m.
stylngle2003 said:

I don't think a $4k boxster is the answer.

Why not?

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
8/15/18 3:14 p.m.

I have a 2008 Z4 Coupe 3.0 6M. Amazing car, even if it isn't the M with the conventional power steering.

It seems to me that the Z4 and (especially) Z3 convertibles are really a good value. You may have to give up some power and go to the smaller engine, but what you are asking is really a tall order. Basically "match this amazing car for less money."

P3PPY
P3PPY New Reader
8/15/18 3:15 p.m.

What about a late-4th gen F-body? Am I correct in assuming they would feel heavy or wouldn't handle so well? They would have the torque, as discussed about the Porsche, but would they have the finesse?

Does anyone have experience with a C4 Corvette? I'm a little nervous that since the thing is a GM it would just fall to pieces, period.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
8/15/18 3:33 p.m.

4th gen F body can be made to handle but is never going to have the finesse feeling

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/15/18 4:24 p.m.

In the $4k range, for a convertible, you're looking at a Miata or a Z3. Z3 will feel a lot more like the Z4 than the Miata will. Boxsters are probably too much of a basket case at that pricepoint. Skystice won't be there. 

Have you driven a Miata? I wouldn't go by the numbers if you haven't. You may not like it, but at least drive it first. Won't have the pull that the Z4 does though. 

If you're going with an auto, I'd look real hard for a Z3 or Z4. I6 only, if you go for the 4 banger just go for the Miata (and manual only).

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/15/18 6:05 p.m.

Buy my boxster... $4300 for a GRM'er

I wouldn't be selling it but my buddy is selling a track prepped 72k mile c5 frc with a blown engine, for a price I can't pass up.

Corvette...

P3PPY
P3PPY New Reader
8/15/18 11:25 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

HA! Okay, pimpm3, I'll bite. Can you PM me with info on it? I tried to PM you but I guess I'm too new.

In reply to others' posts:

AaronBalto I guess you pretty well boiled the question down: "Is an '03 Z4 3.0 a better car than anything that sells for ~$4k?"

And along the lines of finding another Z4 to fix up and keep, I found a $2,500 '05 Z4 3.0 auto in Tampa that needs some work. For $500 shipped to my house that's not too bad. The guy can't even do a video chat so I can't verify a) that it exists b) that it starts c) that it goes into gear. Someone else on here might want to pick it up though. I will vouch that they are a BLAST. Side note: here's a video of me sloppily pushing mine around the local track, as taken by another driver (Challenger 345) - he said he stayed behind me for a few turns just to watch me since I was getting so squirrely hahaha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVzpvHa3UmA

While my neighbor just got out of his '13(?) 328 and its two computer replacements and therefore recommends that I run from the BMW brand before it costs me everything I have, I'm still curious about the BMW sedans like you mentioned, nderwater. Do any of the convertibles from the late 90's - early 2000's besides M3s give a comparable driving experience? M's just don't show up at that price point.

I have a neighbor with a Z3. I'll talk to them about going for a spin. A lady from work has an MX-5 but it may be too new to compare. I just know that the Miatas and the Z3 on the track were kind of slow coming out of the corners... whereas I was a rhino on the gas... but whatever

Two of you said no to an early/inexpensive Boxter. Why's that?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/16/18 8:48 a.m.
P3PPY said:

I have a neighbor with a Z3. I'll talk to them about going for a spin. A lady from work has an MX-5 but it may be too new to compare. I just know that the Miatas and the Z3 on the track were kind of slow coming out of the corners... whereas I was a rhino on the gas... but whatever

Two of you said no to an early/inexpensive Boxter. Why's that?

"Kind of slow"... Are you comparing numbers or looks? Because everything looks slow. Feel is completely different. Same with numbers. By the numbers, a BRZ is faster than my Miata. My well calibrated butt-o-meter sure tells a different story. 

I think you need to get behind the wheel of all of them, back to back to back. Corvette wouldn't be a bad option if you can find a decent C4, but handling will be a challenge without big sticky tires. 

P3PPY
P3PPY New Reader
8/16/18 10:13 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I mean slow in the sense that I overtook them and it was my first time out and I am terrible at getting the line and it wasn't their first times out.

P3PPY
P3PPY New Reader
8/17/18 7:22 a.m.

bump for the question "Do any of the BMW sedan convertibles from the late 90's - early 2000's besides M3s give a comparable driving experience?"

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
8/17/18 7:39 a.m.

No, not really.  I’ve had a Z4M, M3 and 325is, and the M cars really are much  better. 

P3PPY
P3PPY New Reader
8/17/18 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Just to clarify, Sonic, you're saying that none of the BMW sedans from the late 90s - early 00s (with the possible exception of Ms) give a comparable driving experience to a standard Z4 3.0?

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
8/17/18 10:10 a.m.

I had a '00 Boxster S. I can tell you the following:

1. They are great. It was clearly faster than my E36 M3 5S convertible. Magical handling.
  2. I'm not a big fan of the build quality. The interiors feel really cheap and things just wear out and break. And some of it is hard to get new. Example: the release button on the parking brake handle just sprang off and disappeared. I couldn''t find one without buying the entire assembly. I ended up modifying a 10mm socket and gluing it in place as a replacement. I know, I'm still ashamed.
  3. Mine had this weird thing where the passenger rear quarter was holding water and rusting through.
  4. IMS bearing. It's probably not a big deal, but worrying about whether your $4k car is going to grenade its $10k engine is no fun.

Bottom line is that I got rid of it for $14k in 2014 and rolled that cash into a $33k Ferrari 308QV. The 308 is not as good a car, but it's from another era. And it's not a car, it's a Ferrari. The 308 is worth an easy 50k today, so I'm glad I did that, but either way I don't have a lot of regrets about selling that Porsche.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 New Reader
8/17/18 12:17 p.m.
P3PPY said:

bump for the question "Do any of the BMW sedan convertibles from the late 90's - early 2000's besides M3s give a comparable driving experience?"

I've had two, a 1996 328iC and a 2006 M3. They are both heavier than their comparable coupe counterparts. I autocrossed the 06 M3 twice and even with good, wide summer tires and upgraded (H&R Sport, Koni Yellow) suspension it was pushy and not super nimble due to the weight.

I really enjoyed both of them for the sheer top-down-ness. I'm tall (6'2") and fit better in those compared to the Z3 or Z4. The convertible tops are not super complex in their operation and well-documented, so diagnostics are easy enough if something does break. Otherwise, they are basically like any other E36/E46, but definitely more cruiser-y and less "go slay it at autocross."

Not sure what you're on about with the Z3, it is easily the best-looking BMW roadster they've made. The early Z4s were a mishmash of lines that didn't work at all for me. Z3s can have issues with spot welds in the trunk floor ripping out, so do some research there if you fall into one. Otherwise, they are shorter E36s and share the underpinnings with the 318ti. Avoid the 1.8/1.9L Z3, they are miserably slow (at that point, get a Miata), but the bigger sixes move well.

Both of mine were three-pedal cars. I miss the E36 328iC terribly. Don't miss the E46 M3 much.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/17/18 2:23 p.m.

Bottom line is that I got rid of it for $14k in 2014 and rolled that cash into a $33k Ferrari 308QV.

Hah, how times have changed. Semi-related: I can't wait until the global economy tanks again. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jPoHxJfDw8JHxiPgwmegTWGKpcKtMv3mkSqHAth2do4HH9ZnmwpiojhzOwUug45o