1 2
OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
8/21/17 9:40 p.m.
JBasham wrote: LOL, once you're used to a 2,400# E21, everything turns in like a pig...

There is more truth to this than you know (or, maybe you do...); someone asked me why I just didn't sell the E21 since I have the Miata.

Because that car is so darned fun to drive, I'd have a hard time getting rid of it - even in it's current non-op condition, the memory of how that car drives sticks with me.

There is a plan afoot to get it running, however, and it is a plan I don't believe will fail.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/21/17 10:24 p.m.
OldGray320i wrote: Ok, so comments here seem to say that though it can be woke up, would never be as lively as the Miata (especially when considering a Miata with a little work done to it). I really wanted an inline six, but if my ultimate goal is a 2-seat, convertible, six cylinder sports car, I'll want to do that Honda V6 swap someday...

This is wrong. If you mimic the the m roadsters and put an M3 power train in that car you effectively have an S52 E30 in a 2 seater.

It steals a Miata's milk money and pushes it down in the dirt before you buy a, suspension. After you upgrade, it's an E36 with an E30 oversteer problem. Fun as hell but not as fast as an M3.

Buy it, an S52, and call ground control. You will be very happy for well under nice S2000 money as long as you don't need to pay people for labor to get it all running.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
8/22/17 2:13 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i:

Yeah I'm an E21 guy too. '79 Euro with a clean chassis, motor-swapped by me with an M20B25, 140RWHP, DOT R tires and HTC-60 pads on all four corners. Crazy, crazy fun at the track. There's a video of the dyno test on the Mach V Motorsports Facebook page from the GRM Dyno Day a couple months back.

Huckleberry may be right, and if he is, you're the one guy who would have no fear of the semi-trailing arm oversteer situation that might be inherent in the design. Shake your hips in an E21, and the rear starts to step out . . . .

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/22/17 6:09 p.m.
JBasham wrote: LOL, once you're used to a 2,400# E21, everything turns in like a pig. Nothing beats light weight in my book.

that is the truth. my 318ti came in at a little over 2600 and I knocked it down at least a hundred pounds. Thing would turn on a dime

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
8/22/17 6:24 p.m.

In reply to JBasham:

Slave to fashion that I am, I had my strut tops cut down to lower the front a little more, then the rear was too high. Fuggit, I'll cut half a coil off the rear (maybe it was a coil) - stiffened up the rear a little more, and now that sucker goes sideways if you blink. I'll probably convert to coil overs, cut down the front struts and run VW rabbit Koni inserts (supposedly the hot set up, way back when...), try to get it back in line.

That or I'll just run 8's out back and a little more tire on the rear - poor man's fix.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FSQe6pDBceCklMJXYEWcwXGiIGVABWATAcNnARifrcJrN7kYXQNXk1mtR34kHNvH