1 2 3
MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
6/28/18 8:47 a.m.

So I have a 35ish mile one way commute so 80miles round trip.  I'm looking at between $7000 and $10k most likely.

It takes 35 mins in the mornings and 40-50 mins in the afternoon. Over my last 2 tanks of gas I averaged 415ish miles at 46mph.

Do I go with something like an Avalon for the comfort or something funner? Do I buy a decent NB?

I know the Prius is obviously the best choice, I just hate the seats and the cvt with all my being.

I guess gas mileage doesn't matter that much as long as it's 27ish highway or higher since I have averaged higher than the EPA highway mpg in my last 2 commuter's.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
6/28/18 8:54 a.m.

Chevy Volt and recharge at work.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/28/18 8:58 a.m.

For that amount of time, comfort > fun.

Being on the highway in a loud, rattly car gets old quickly.

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
6/28/18 8:59 a.m.
chaparral said:

Chevy Volt and recharge at work.

Can't charge at work

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
6/28/18 8:59 a.m.

+1 on the Volt if you can charge at work.   The owner here has a Telsa, he said he liked the volt better in a lot of ways such as fit and finish and road noise.  

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/28/18 9:01 a.m.

Lexus LS400 or LS430.    If  you are spending a bunch of time in traffic, you may was well be comfy, and have a good stereo.

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
6/28/18 9:02 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:

Lexus LS400 or LS430.    If  you are spending a bunch of time in traffic, you may was well be comfy, and have a good stereo.

Almost no traffic at all

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
6/28/18 9:02 a.m.

What kind of roads?  Engaging roads = fun car.  Interstate = comfortable car.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/28/18 9:04 a.m.

Camry Hybrid

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
6/28/18 9:04 a.m.

In reply to bigeyedfish :

Interstate

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
6/28/18 9:05 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Camry Hybrid

Isn't that the same transmission as the Prius 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/28/18 9:08 a.m.

Same trip parameters for my last job only 80 miles each way. A Miata was the perfect car for me for 5 years.  The FRS would also serve as well assuming it was as reliable long term as the Miata was. 

The Miata is cheap to operate in all regards

The Miata is about as dependable as a car can get

The Miata chassis is engaging to drive at any speed. ( big plus for me)

I find top-down driving on a nice day to be therapeutic and Miatae are some of the best convertibles ever made ( others don't)

If $$ is not an object, then a Porsche Cayman would be the first option. I would have to check the blind spot situation first, because big blind spots in a commuter suck. ( point against the FRS)

Pete

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/28/18 9:12 a.m.
MrChaos said:
ProDarwin said:

Camry Hybrid

I think the electric motors are bigger in the Camry

TGMF
TGMF Reader
6/28/18 9:18 a.m.

^^^ Engine, trans motors, battery all bigger in the Camry, but it still functions in the same manner.  So....still boring.  But not a bad tool for the job.  Quiet, comfortable, stellar fuel economy, and cheap to run. 

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
6/28/18 9:19 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
MrChaos said:
ProDarwin said:

Camry Hybrid

Still hate the cvt. I dont use cruise control I just use my foot so the cvt in the Prius drives me insane

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/28/18 9:23 a.m.

I say to hell with comfort and sporty and the gas mileage and get a second gen T/A.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
6/28/18 9:26 a.m.

If we're talking total cost of ownership, including purchase price it's going to come down to beater Honda, TDI, or Prius.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/28/18 9:32 a.m.
MrChaos said:

Interstate

That seems to be the natural habitat for my Buick Regal - it covers long Interstate distances in comfort, with a bit more sporting pretense than a Toyota Avalon. $7000 ought to buy the nicest GM W-body on the planet.

A BMW 5 series might also be a good fit for this job. Even the smaller 3 series isn't a bad place to be in for a freeway trip.

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
6/28/18 9:39 a.m.

Tons of 09-13 Civic Si's are in that range it seems.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish New Reader
6/28/18 9:40 a.m.
MrChaos said:

Interstate

Woof.  In that case, I'd be looking for something comfy.  Even in a 20 year old Camry, I was regularly catching myself pushing 90+ mph on the way home from work.  I think if the car was a little quieter and more comfortable, I wouldn't have rushed home so much.

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork

In reply to MrChaos :

I’d buy a Chevy Volt. 

They have a great reputation for reliability and the idea of saving all that money on gasoline is very appealing.  

Depending on gas mileage you will be spending about $4500-5000 a year on gas.  If you get a Volt and you can plug it in at work you’ll save that $5000 a year.  Now to be fair your electric bill will go up. 

Around here an electric car will cost you about $500 a year in additional electric bills  plus at least a few times a year you’ll go beyond the range of a single charge so the gas engine will run costing you some money.  Just for simple math sake let’s say $500? 

So the Chevy Volt will still save you $4000 a year. 

What could you use That savings for?  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork

Do you have to deal with winter where you area at?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/28/18 9:41 a.m.
MrChaos said:
ProDarwin said:
MrChaos said:
ProDarwin said:

Camry Hybrid

Still hate the cvt. I dont use cruise control I just use my foot so the cvt in the Prius drives me insane

Hmm.  I don't really get how it would bother anyone on the interstate.  I would take the Prius CVT 8 days a week over most traditional autos**  Especially around Asheville.

** I wish minivans/trucks had this type of CVT

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
6/28/18 9:42 a.m.

Wife's 2006 Hyundai Sonata has a 2.5 liter four cylinder and delivers (for me) about 33MPG highway and 30 mixed.  That's the automatic five speed that you can also shift yourself.  It's been reliable, comfortable and handles acceptably for what it is.  Road noise and the stereo is merely adequate.  And it's awfully anonymous if that is a feature for you.

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
6/28/18 9:45 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Do you have to deal with winter where you area at?

I have a 99 land cruiser for if it snows. Also roads are drivable the next day since I live on primary roads so fwd/rwd doesn't matter.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vfleo467FrSk0BcfxzfVWB7GXP8VUCMKIKsRkiAK9f1PMxQk3XLkdCwMV5WSeHHs