1 2 3 4 5
Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
2/7/20 11:08 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
DirtyBird222 said:

in contrast, the longest production vehicle ever made was The 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 at 252 inches long. 

If you include pickup trucks, a new Chevy 3/4 ton crew cab pickup with a long bed is 266 inches long.

My 2017 F-350 CC long bed is also 266 inches long. When towing the trailer I'm just over 52 feet!

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
2/7/20 11:26 p.m.

AH Sprite/MG Midget 58-79. Essentially the same vehicle. 

what's the years of the Jeep cherokee? That was around forever with very few changes. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
2/8/20 1:58 a.m.
Patrick said:
Patientzero said:

^Truth^

73-87 Chevy trucks

They ran it to 91 on suburbans and some 3500's

And the k5 blazers and jimmys

the 3rd gen full size gm vans were made for 24 years 1971 to 1995.

it's replacement the express stated in 95 is still going though the 1500 versions stopped in 2014.

The fiat 124 was produced until 1974 but all of its Lada variants were made until 2015.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
2/8/20 4:44 a.m.

Checker Marathon 1960-1982

No, they were not all taxis. Private citizens could order one from the factory in Kalamazoo, MI.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/8/20 6:29 a.m.

Jeep Wagoneer. Structurally, it was pretty much the same from 1963-1991. There were a few engine changes, but they were still using the AMC 360 even after AMC had gone out of business. The front end styling changed, but all the brackets for every style grille remained, so you can unbolt the grille and headlights and basically backdate it by bolting in a different generation grille.

karussell
karussell New Reader
2/8/20 9:05 a.m.

Daewoo/GM Korea Labo/Damas. First introduced in 1991, and temporarily discontinued in 2014 due to lack of emissions/safety features(ABS, TPMS became mandatory at that time). But small business owners protested that there are no alternatives to this small truck/van, so Labo/Damas are now exempt from those regulations, and are still in production. With no crumple zones, no airbags, and no ABS, these are basically death traps. Some reports say that a 40km/h head-on crash is fatal.

Dave
Dave Reader
2/8/20 10:01 a.m.

Lada Niva 1977 to present with the only changes being a revised rear hatch and a fuel injection.

Hindustan Ambassador - 1958 to 2014. 1956 if you include the Morris Oxford series III it was based on.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/8/20 10:04 a.m.
chandler said:

300c and Charger are basically unchanged 05 to current right?

Chrysler will keep a model in production for as long as it keeps selling for minimal investment.  Examples: the B series vans - largely unchanged from 1971 thru 2003 (and if they hadn't merged with M-B and then Fiat, the B series would probably still be in production). The 5th gen Grand Caravan - 2008 to 2020. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/8/20 10:20 a.m.
Rons said:

In reply to ShawnG :

Photos are needed of some Paciifics from the Island. Of course being from North Vancouver I'm biased.

Unfortunately Hanks Truck Pictures is gone.

The good news is, all pacifics look like this, no matter how new they are.  My buddy has a 1978

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/8/20 2:06 p.m.

A lot of entries in this thread don't qualify... the Dodge vans for instance underwent some pretty drastic facelifts over the years.  Same for the VW Beetle, although when VW mostly stopped production in (1979?) the plant in Mexico reverted to the pre-68 design.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/8/20 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

As far as the Dodge vans went, no... not really.  I remember looking at new cars with my mother and getting into a van they had in the showroom.  Still had the same HVAC vents that were in our '71 Demon. Yes, they updated a few things, but the basic platform never really changed. Which I took as essentially the OP question.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/8/20 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I interpreted OP's question as a strict unchangedness, like the ability to stick a final model year Mini's front wing on a '59 Mini's.

The Dodges had nose extensions over the years.  I remember the older ones were so stubby that the master cylinder was mounted sideways with a bellcrank.  The taillights and other bits and bobs also changed over the years.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
2/8/20 9:55 p.m.

The SCCA Spec Racer has been essentially the same for 35 years and still going like the energizer bunny

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/9/20 6:33 a.m.

Nissan Frontier. It's been essentially the same truck since '04. And it's not getting an overhaul until 2021, Nissan has said.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/9/20 8:27 a.m.

I am also going to throw the original Fiat 124 Spider out there. Aside from some minor detail changes (tail lights, mandated 5 mph bumpers, hood bulges, and bumps in engine size) they were the same car from 1968 thru 1985.5. Sheet metal from a 1968 could fit a 1985.5 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/9/20 10:12 a.m.
NickD said:

Nissan Frontier. It's been essentially the same truck since '04. And it's not getting an overhaul until 2021, Nissan has said.

Do they still have the same berking SOHC V6 that you have to remove the upper intake manifold to replace the horribly leaking valve cover gaskets, which entails trying to access some small coolant hoses that are down at bellhousing height on the back of the engine, attached by spring clamps that cannot open far enough to slip over the bulge on the end of the nipple?

What is more infuriating is that looks like a design feature carried over from when that engine was transversely mounted, except the transverse models don't have coolant tubes routed on the back of the engine!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
2/9/20 10:20 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Checker Marathon 1960-1982

No, they were not all taxis. Private citizens could order one from the factory in Kalamazoo, MI.

My Grade 2 teacher drove one, as did her husband.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
2/9/20 10:37 a.m.

The first gen SAAB 9-5 ran from 1998 through 2009 with very little change.

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
2/9/20 11:40 a.m.
buzzboy said:

The Mercedes 600 Pullman was both long at 245" and long in production at 18 years.

The R107 chassis SL was the same. Relatively unchanged from 1971 through 1989 (18 years)

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/9/20 8:06 p.m.
Knurled. said:
NickD said:

Do they still have the same berking SOHC V6 that you have to remove the upper intake manifold to replace the horribly leaking valve cover gaskets, which entails trying to access some small coolant hoses that are down at bellhousing height on the back of the engine, attached by spring clamps that cannot open far enough to slip over the bulge on the end of the nipple?

What is more infuriating is that looks like a design feature carried over from when that engine was transversely mounted, except the transverse models don't have coolant tubes routed on the back of the engine!

No clue. Although my experiences with Frontiers have had me write them off. They seem to rust pretty bad (the exhausts with their 5 thousand heat shields are usually rotted out at 2 or 3 years old) and everything just feels coarse and cheap and bad.

The 2020 model is getting a new direct-injected engine that will be the power plant for the next-gen Frontier, a kind of Frontier GSL-SE if you will. Last year of the current gen with the engine for the next-gen, sure to make parts availability a treat in the future

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
2/9/20 8:21 p.m.

The Unic cab served from 1906 to 1938 IIRC. It had no balls. I mean with 4hp, it would be pretty slow.

The Harley Sportster began in 1957 and is still produced today essentially unchanged.

OK, belt drive replaced the chain, but its pretty close.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
2/9/20 8:27 p.m.

Checker Motors Taxi?  1922 thru 2009

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
2/9/20 11:12 p.m.
jimbbski said:

Has no one mentioned the Mustang?  The Fox body ran from 1979-1993 and while the 1992-2004 looked different many mechanical parts will interchange.

Ford built tons of cars on the same chassis.  A lot of guys took Mustang parts and built sleeper Fairmonts and Zephyrs.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
2/10/20 6:06 a.m.
bentwrench said:

Checker Motors Taxi?  1922 thru 2009

No. See my Checker Marathon post above. Pre-war cars were totally different to start with.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/10/20 6:16 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:
jimbbski said:

Has no one mentioned the Mustang?  The Fox body ran from 1979-1993 and while the 1992-2004 looked different many mechanical parts will interchange.

Ford built tons of cars on the same chassis.  A lot of guys took Mustang parts and built sleeper Fairmonts and Zephyrs.

If you want to play the chassis game, AMC ran essentially the same chassis from the 1959 Rambler up to 1987.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v5l2XKhYds0OWwvElG1F58BwBTUfaQUF2sUXuNNxy4pZtmoFo0NaNEQoQEOFmLaq