1 2 3
CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/5/17 8:26 p.m.

I'm in the market for a reliable DD after I sold the Miata, and only have a 91 E30 'vert as a daily, which spells wet laps in the rain and wet driveways even when it doesn't rain. 

I have owned an STU-prepped E36 M3, a Miata, and this E30, to give you a sense of what I like. Also, I care a lot about how a car feels... the driver controls and how they feel. I like a car with controls that feel... right. I don't know if that makes sense, but the Miata has it, the E30 has it in some areas (steering, pedals).

I don't want to buy something that needs a lot of attention, which pretty much negates anything German. I like old BMWs, but I don't want the hassle for my daily. MUST be four door, and I want a manual. 

I'm thinking the following:

-First gen Mazda 3. I've driven them and like them. I wasn't floored by the one I drove, although maybe I was expecting too much after the Miata, and my dad has the latest 3, which felt quite a bit nicer, and faster. 

-Focus SVT. I've heard mixed things about the reliability/maintenance. Heard the revs hang on fast upshifts. Also heard they handle really well.

-Matrix XRS. I like the idea of that engine, but haven't driven one yet. 

-Scion xB. Yeah, I dunno, I kind of like them, kind of hate them. 

-Mazda 2. I have heard good things, but haven't driven one. 

-Protege 5. Getting harder to find with less than 100k, and I've never driven one, not sure if there's any reason to get one over the 3.

-First-gen Honda Fit: The second gen I drove had bad visibility, but maybe I should give a first gen a try. 

-Mazda 6 wagon. Hard to find, esp with a manual. Drove a sedan once, liked the steering, but the clutch felt weird to me, not sure if it was just that one tho. Love the looks, love the space. 

Has anyone cross-shopped and/or drove the above cars? Other ideas?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
12/5/17 9:56 p.m.

They made a 5-door mazda6 too, so that might be an option for you. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/5/17 10:01 p.m.

Mazda 2 is what you're looking for. Good driver. Not refined feeling. If you could get past the visibility I'd sell my 2013 Fit sport for $9k...

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
12/5/17 10:07 p.m.

I am selling a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon 135k.  $2900.00

Blaise
Blaise Reader
12/6/17 5:46 a.m.

Why isn't the WRX on your list? I paid under 7k for my '02 WRX wagon back in 2009... which I'm assuming means you should be able to get an '08 or better at this point for similar price.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
12/6/17 6:12 a.m.

IS300 Sportcross?  

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
12/6/17 6:20 a.m.

The motor in the Matrix in great, It just does not work great in the Matrix.  It's a little too much car for a peaky motor, my mom had that combo in a Vibe 6MT.  It felt like after every shift it took another 12-1500 rpm crawl to get back in the power.  Maybe that can be cured by shifting at 8500 every time.

akylekoz
akylekoz HalfDork
12/6/17 6:21 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

IS300 Sportcross?  

I like these but they are even harder to find with a manual than the sedan.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
12/6/17 6:26 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

That's because they weren't offered with one from the factory, it needs to be swapped in.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/6/17 6:57 a.m.

No Saabs on your list.  They make a nifty manual wagon.  Just finding one is a bit tricky.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
12/6/17 7:45 a.m.

I second Saab. They are well-built and the controls just feel right. Might be hard finding one under 100k miles, but manuals are very common. Orphan branding has slashed prices on them.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
12/6/17 7:50 a.m.

Saab 9-2x turbo?

alleykat
alleykat Reader
12/6/17 8:15 a.m.

Mazda 5 can be found in a manual.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
12/6/17 8:48 a.m.

E91.

A RWD manual option would be a pain to find and might come at a premium, but it'll fit what you're looking for. It's also a bit more reliable as it's the NA N52 engine.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
12/6/17 9:07 a.m.
  1. Minis?
  2. Chevy HHR?
MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
12/6/17 9:29 a.m.

Hhr, Mazda 3, older focus, Malibu maxx would get my vote. Subarus in that prices point tend. Be a bit rough imo 

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
12/6/17 9:39 a.m.
pimpm3 said:

I am selling a 2004 Mazda 6 wagon 135k.  $2900.00

Looks fantastic!  

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
12/6/17 10:18 a.m.

It's a bit of a unicorn, and it's German, but in 2009, and only in 2009, you could get a Jetta Sportwagen with a 2.0t and a manual transmission.

If you could get over the German stigma, there are a lot of Golfs that would meet your criteria, probably GTIs too.

spandak
spandak New Reader
12/6/17 10:44 a.m.

You might be able to find a first gen Mazdaspeed3 for that money too. They're not as refined as a Miata or a BMW in the driving department but they're big fun. Pretty reliable too

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/6/17 11:46 a.m.

Saabs! Hmmmm, how reliable are they? My guess is not very. But I would like to drive one. 

I was also thinking maybe a Volvo V40, I know they don't have a manual tho. 

Sport cross is a good idea, they are just super rare.

Never thought about a Malibu Maxx or HHR. Did they have manuals?

Mazda6 hatch is on my list, thanks for the reminder! Mazda5 is an option, but I don't really need anything that big, so why carry around the extra weight over the 3. 

I don't like Subarus that much. I feel like I shooooould like them, but I just don't. A friend had a WRX and it was cool and all, but the motors often seem to have problems, I hate the clutches (engagement is always so far from the floor), and at my price point they are usually trashed in my area (SF Bay). It really would be a good option otherwise. Maybe I should give them another chance.

Mazdaspeed3 are all well above 7k around here unless they have a billion miles. 

I want to like the VWs, but I just don't trust them after warranty. 

BMWs are out. I know BMWs, and it's just too much hassle. They eat coils, leak all their fluids, need cooling systems, have a billion little electronic doo-dads that just break. Been there, done that. 

@John Welsh, looks really nice. Where are you located? Judging from the foliage, not close to me. I also prefer a manual and less miles, but I might make an exception for GRM members. I trust you guys. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/6/17 11:50 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Good to know about the Matrix, thanks!

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/6/17 11:51 a.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

Good to know thanks. If I can just find a manual near me. 

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
12/6/17 11:53 a.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

The Mazda6 wagon is in Jacksonville, FL.  It is not mine but rather PimpM3, Jeremy's.  I have bought 4 cars through Jeremy and would recommend doing it again.  Jeremy will give you a genuine and true GRM'er assessment of the car.  I have bought all of mine unseen and just off his assessment.  I then use Uship to have them brought up to Ohio for about $500 for the 1,000 mile trip.  Or, you can fly in to Jax and drive it home if you can spare the time.    This has been a cheap way for me to get amazingly rust free cars sent here to the rust belt.  Where are you located?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
12/6/17 12:14 p.m.

I've been looking for a reliable daily as well recently. I've loved my miata, e28, I had a Saab 9-3, but right now I need something I can just drive without having to work on it all the time.

I think I finally found something that fits me for performance/reliability/decentish gas mileage/comfort, I am currently planning to pick it up on Saturday for $6500.

This is not a wagon, and it has 167k miles, but I'm buying THIS one. An e46 wagon is not out of the question for what you're looking for. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/6/17 12:57 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I'm in the SF Bay Area, so a LONG way from Florida. I am sure he's great, but I usually like to drive cars before I buy, and I can't fly to FL right now. But thanks for the idea!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yrWaCuNvOLRCBgNzQj2edJY3kK98vcJdCr5XWjEIRHRnt5gpeZUrwhHTqhZXghPr