1 2 3
JPSeuropa
JPSeuropa New Reader
12/12/17 3:41 p.m.

Volvo V70 or XC70. First or second generation. Comfy, decent handling. Indestructable. Never rust.

AND they come with half a V10!

The third generation was really a Ford...and theres the rust.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
12/12/17 5:43 p.m.

If you're up for a 2-door the 7th gen civic si is another contender. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/12/17 6:56 p.m.

In reply to lnlds :

It's something I am really interested in. If I cave on the 4 door front, I'll go that route. 

Volvos... I think too involved of a relationship is required. 

lnlds
lnlds Reader
12/13/17 1:59 a.m.

I didnt really love the mazda6 v6 (only drove one in auto) but wasn't impressed by the steering, but there are some decent v6 hatches in your area. 

https://modesto.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2004-mazda-mazda6-4dr/6406984648.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/2004-mazda-6/6380113479.html

We just picked up a 1st gen TSX and I would strongly suggest you think about one even though it's not a hatch. Double wishbones up front, great shifter, good  gearing, vtec, and a modern interior.  The celica GTS (matrix xrs on a 250 lb diet) is more competent but the tsx is more enjoyable when motoring politely.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
12/13/17 6:48 a.m.

The Mazda3 is a nice car for this.  We had a 2012 with the Skyactiv engine that gets much better mileage.  The dynamics are decent.  I've heard the stick is decent although ours was the auto. I'd look for the newest Skyactiv Mazda3 you can find.   

JPSeuropa
JPSeuropa New Reader
12/13/17 8:03 a.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

My 2004 V70 has almost 200K on it. Shocks, brakes a few times, upper shock mounts on front, upper engine mount. That has been it for repairs.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
12/13/17 8:22 a.m.

Hhr ss. Not sure if Malibu maxx came in manual. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/13/17 9:32 a.m.

In reply to lnlds :

I worked at a Acura dealership when the TSX came out and I really liked it. I'll see what is out there, it's a good idea. The problem, besides not having a hatch/wagon in that first gen (newer ones are too spendy), is that they are hard to find without a billion miles or don't have a manual, or are pretty beat but still expensive.

Thanks for the links on the 6! I have been meaning to test drive both of those, but have been too busy (both are about 1.5 hours from me). Should have more time this weekend. 

Curious, what didn't you like about the steering? I drove one once and thought the steering was nice, it was the clutch that didn't do it for me. 

Turtl631, the Skyactiv is too expensive around here, but I would love one. 

JPS, that's good to know, thanks. Just found an '01 V70 for 4k with 96k and one owner. Might have to check it out. Not a manual of course, not sure they even made them. 

MazdaFace, I do sort of like the idea of those SS Chevys, but never driven one. I'll have to try them.

M3Loco
M3Loco Reader
12/13/17 12:47 p.m.

Whatever you decide, let me know and I'll look through the Wholesale Auctions (Manheim) to see what's available. We have a Dealer's License and buy our toys wholesale.

lnlds
lnlds Reader
12/13/17 1:31 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

I was expecting double wishbone goodness where you could point it and it would hold a line without adjustments, but it felt more like a mcpherson strut car where I'd make a lot of small corrections.  I'd say it was similar if not a bit sharper than a v6 accord 7th gen, but I personally would prefer the 4-cylinder accord over it. I agree TSXs are overpriced, we were very lucky to find a 1 owner low-mileage old retiree car. I was originally looking at the 7.5gen 4-cylinder accord but they were almost as expensive as the tsxs where I am.

Just curious what are you hauling in the hatch? I am a hatchback fan but a sedan can work for a lot of things especially coming up from compact coupes.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/2005-acura-tsxmiles-manual/6422186412.html

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/13/17 2:20 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

I have a Vibe GT for the winter beater, a second gen MS3, and owned a first gen 3 hatchback in GT trim for a while. The Mazdas are the better drivers cars.

The Vibe manages to feel like a smaller car than it is because the seating position is lower than most CUV's, has a lot of interior room, and is generally pretty fun to drive around (It has the 2ZZ-GE which basically means its a hatchback Lotus right?). The main issue with the Vibe is that the seating position isn't my preferred position, it's higher than that of the 3's which feels more like sitting on a chair than sitting down into the car. I'm 5'11" and the shift knob feels just a tad too far away based on my distance from the steering wheel. I

I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying one, I actually highly recommended one to a member here, and it's great fun to thrash around but it's a different driving experience than the Mazda 3 cars.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/13/17 3:21 p.m.

In reply to lnlds :

I see. I didn't drive the one I drove for very long or aggressively.

My wife and I want the hatch for hauling stuff like bags of mulch, going camping, picking up the random coffee table off of Craigslist. 

Thanks for the link, that's close to me so I'll probably check it out. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/13/17 3:23 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Thanks so much for the feedback, very helpful. Now if I can just find one with a manual without a billion miles!

octavious
octavious Dork
12/14/17 7:30 a.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

My wife has had a 08 Mazda 3 hatchback manual since new.  It has been a great car for us, but at 5'11 I don't really fit.  Even with the seat all the way back my right knee hits the center console.  I also can't stretch out my legs straight, even when trying to squeeze behind the pedals to the firewall.  

Also while  perfect car for my wife, I personally think it needs more power.  I think the handling and steering are fine, but I just wish it had more umph!  

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/14/17 8:00 p.m.

In reply to octavious :

Hmmm, that's interesting, I'm 6'3" and I've driven one and I didn't have any problems fitting. Maybe it's because most of my height is torso and a giant head. :)

I agree, they aren't that powerful, but that's okay, I am not expecting them to be super fast given what they are. I can't afford the MS3 version, and I don't mind slow cars (former Miata owner, current E30 325i owner). Thanks for sharing your experience!

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
12/14/17 8:01 p.m.

In reply to M3Loco :

Thanks! Let me know if you see a Mazda 3 hatch with less than 100k and a manual trans. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
msbrivGOgIxZUhhemeolFedZGT21MeEdhfJicXxxiCwJ1PPin34pAHLT2FZ9Nm3C