1 2
yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/21/13 11:01 a.m.

I think you're right, I just haven't looked at the 9-5's lately......parts availability might be enough to cause issues later.

You could probably find an extremely nice E46 wagon for half of your budget. Plus I believe you would be familiar with them.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/21/13 12:47 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: Saab 9-3 Wagon?

In case you didn't know, the aero version has a 2.0 turbo 4, 6 speed manual, AWD

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
1/21/13 12:50 p.m.
yamaha wrote: I think you're right, I just haven't looked at the 9-5's lately......parts availability might be enough to cause issues later. You could probably find an extremely nice E46 wagon for half of your budget. Plus I believe you would be familiar with them.

A Saab would make me a little nervous, given their current state. Still...I'll bounce that off my wife. She might be interested in testing one to see what she thinks.

An e46 wagon would be great, but it's just too small. With 2 kids (one a teenager in 2 months), the backseat is kinda cramped. And there is no way our Great Dane would fit in the back!

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/21/13 1:19 p.m.

So the solution would be to put down either the dog or soon to be teenager?

I refer my advice to 5 series wagon or v70r if you have to have the performance

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
1/21/13 1:25 p.m.
yamaha wrote: So the solution would be to put down either the dog or soon to be teenager? I refer my advice to 5 series wagon or v70r if you have to have the performance

Some days, putting down both seems to be the right answer!

I'm digging the V70R. I floated the idea by my wife and she likes them too. I'll start a learn me thread on that model so I can know what to look for.

Aspen
Aspen New Reader
1/21/13 4:40 p.m.

The Saab 9-3 might work for you. I wouldn't worry about parts much for the non-XWD versions. The rear seat room is not very good through and the dog might be a little cramped due to the sloping of the hatch. The Volvo would give more room, but I never see good things about Volvo reliability. Saabs are going for cheap these days because people are afraid. That makes them good value for resourceful GRM types. Manual versions are plentiful.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
1/21/13 7:51 p.m.

I replaced my E39 wagon with a Mazda5, I like it a lot. Not fast but it is a it sporty and highway use can pull down high 20mpg. I turned 40000 today on my 2012 and I've averaged 29. It's a 6spd and you can drive it aggressively with surprising results but I usually don't.

As someone else said all the speed3 parts bolt on.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
1/21/13 8:04 p.m.

I'm actively shopping for a wagon now, though at a much lower price. I'm finding some really nice '00-'01 9-5 wagons for <$4k. A really nice stick shift '08 can be had for under $12k. I'm trusting the input of others that part availability isn't going to be an issue.

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
1/21/13 8:07 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: I'm actively shopping for a wagon now, though at a much lower price. I'm finding some really nice '00-'01 9-5 wagons for <$4k. A really nice stick shift '08 can be had for under $12k. I'm trusting the input of others that part availability isn't going to be an issue.

Did you see the Saab wagon someone posted from the Gainesville CL? $2k

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/cto/3520599228.html

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
1/21/13 8:21 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
Teggsan wrote: Jetta Sportwagen is fairly huge inside given its external dimensions, and if you get a diesel, you'll get high 30s MPG combined.
How are VAG products of late? This board takes a dim view of them traditionally. Is there a recent timeframe when they got better?

2 late model Audi's in house here (A3 & A4 Avant). ~30K miles on each with 1 warranty repair each. The A3's pleasant (6 speed, sport package) but the Avant is a much nicer car and somehow sportier too.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
1/21/13 8:30 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: For some reason, i'm thinking you could get the Saab 9-5 in wagon, AWD, later good V6 turbo, and manual trans...

Incorrect! Other than the brand new 1-year-only redesigned 9-5, which does have optional AWD and the good V6 (but has virtually no parts supply), any 9-5 you'd be looking at would be FWD only and either the great 2.3 four or abhorrent 3.0 V6.

That said, the original 9-5 platform has already been supported by the aftermarket so long that nothing you'd ever need would be NLA.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
1/22/13 6:38 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:
Klayfish wrote: I'm actively shopping for a wagon now, though at a much lower price. I'm finding some really nice '00-'01 9-5 wagons for <$4k. A really nice stick shift '08 can be had for under $12k. I'm trusting the input of others that part availability isn't going to be an issue.
Did you see the Saab wagon someone posted from the Gainesville CL? $2k http://gainesville.craigslist.org/cto/3520599228.html

Yep. E-mailed the guy, but never heard back.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
1/22/13 8:48 a.m.

If you're a glutton for punishment you can look into an older Audi Allroad. They came with 6MT's too...

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
1/22/13 9:05 a.m.

In reply to docwyte:

Isn't that considered by some to be the LEAST reliable car made in modern times, the Bi-Turbo of the 21st century, if you will?

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
1/22/13 10:01 a.m.
docwyte wrote: If you're a glutton for punishment you can look into an older Audi Allroad. They came with 6MT's too...

No thank you!

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
1/22/13 10:20 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: Isn't that considered by some to be the LEAST reliable car made in modern times, the Bi-Turbo of the 21st century, if you will?

Well, duh. I think that would apply to just about any Audi built in the past 20 years...

Aspen
Aspen New Reader
1/22/13 10:47 a.m.

Sludge is a big issue for pre-'04 Saab 9-5s with the 2.3l, so beware. There is a reason for the low price. There was a guy on the Saab board today singing the praises of the 9-5 V6. Owns two and never had issues and finds it pretty easy to work on for belt service, etc. Most interweb lore says to avoid the 3.0V6 though. I would look for an 05+ Aero or Griffin with all the dodads. Otherwise a 06+ 9-3 without XWD for something more modern looking.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
1/22/13 11:38 a.m.

Most people think Audi's are unreliable because they buy older ones with mileage on them that haven't been maintained, then get pissed when stuff breaks.

They're definitely not a honda or toyota that can be completely abused and it'll still run forever. They require a certain amount of attention and if they receive it, they'll go hundreds of thousands of miles...

The allroad is an exception, those can drain your wallet quickly, as the air suspension can be problematic.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MwqkkOYvi8dNDxCiPRcOVsmC4JFUXphj11cCZKWr3tyFm2vRY3vlUiSHxdVI6Ql6