1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/29/20 4:22 p.m.

Yes I am steeling the idea from the VINwiki series of videos on YouTube (again X2).  Since the 20K thread seemed to get a good bit of interest and some fantastic ideas I figure we could try it again but with a price point that has a ton of options.  

So what car would you get for 100K.  It can be new or used.  It can be a truck or a bike.  Ok it can also be a boat if you want or even a plane.  It can be a responsible choice. . ..   Ok I am not sure there is a reasonable choice at the 100K mark.   Or the not so responsible choice of say. . ..    Well this list would be endless.   It can even be a race car. 

There is no wrong answer it is strictly your choice.  

Photos of your choice are encouraged and sale adds are also a bonus.  

For me If I was to shop at that price point it would be tough as there are so many really good cars.  I would want something I could drive every day.  This leads to Porsche. And not just any Porsche. I would get the nicest 1987 911 with the wide body and no turbo.  These range from 60K to well over 100K but at the 100K price point you get a extremely well sorted one that is in good cosmetic condition.

This I think would be the one.  Silver on black with the corect wheels.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/29/20 4:37 p.m.

Mp4-12c

dps214
dps214 Reader
6/29/20 5:04 p.m.

997.2 GT3, no question. This one belongs to a friend of mine and was bought for under $100k. That was a unique deal but there's a few around asking $100k or less.

My favorite part about this photo is that the watermark covers up the spot where I cracked the front lip on a cone.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/29/20 5:07 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Mp4-12c

Are these under 100k now?  That is a ton of car for the $$$$. Now I am re thinking my choicelaugh

Edit:  I just looked those up and I am amazed at the prices now. Clapped out ones are in the 80k range.  

AaronT
AaronT New Reader
6/29/20 5:12 p.m.

For 100 big ones I'm getting a used Lexus suv tow pig (30k), and LO206 kart (6k), a trailer and parts (10k), and I'm going racin' for a few years and even moving up to 2 strokes with the rest of the cash. 

If you put a gun to my head and made me choose something with a license plate I'm picking up a Boxster Spyder with a 6 speed. And some ridiculous color, of course.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/29/20 5:51 p.m.

Spec Boxster racecar, nice HD truck to pull it and an enclosed trailer. Easy button!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/29/20 5:52 p.m.

That sweet green viper Wearymicrobe has, and...IDK. F355 also on the list. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/29/20 5:55 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Mp4-12c

Are these under 100k now?  That is a ton of car for the $$$$. Now I am re thinking my choicelaugh

Edit:  I just looked those up and I am amazed at the prices now. Clapped out ones are in the 80k range.  

Ask Andy Hollis about his :) When I saw him at the Rolex a few years back, he took our ND V8 for a test drive. The repairs done to his MP4-12C by that time were equal to the turnkey price of that ND V8. And they didn't stop.

For me? Stratos replica. Because I don't have enough cars I don't drive yet!

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/29/20 5:57 p.m.

I would buy a volvo.  Not just any old volvo, an ex-military Volvo. A C303.  I would then clean it up, drop a small diesel into it, set it up for overlanding, and take it cross country avoiding every major road I could.

chada75
chada75 Reader
6/29/20 5:58 p.m.

I'll buy Two Semis,hire a driver or team, and hit the highways 

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
6/29/20 6:03 p.m.

How much are those LC500's going for? They're beautiful. 

Probably the best gated Ferrari that 100k can buy me.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/29/20 6:26 p.m.

Asking on this is $58,000, with a fresh Hendrick engine.  $42,000 worth of gasoline, tires and spares is your $100k.  I presume if I have $100 large to buy a car, I have enough money to get it to the track, as well.

JohnLClark
JohnLClark New Reader
6/29/20 6:27 p.m.

I am of two minds.  The semi-practical one says just get the new Cayman GT4.  The other is saying Viper gts.  

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/29/20 6:38 p.m.

If the rules say i have to spend the $100K on one car...  it must be mid-engined  and have a roof.

The new Vette with handling package  or  the Cayman GT4

Leaning towards the Vette because i'm over 70 with gray hair... i think you have to meet those criteria to be able to buy one.

AaronT
AaronT New Reader
6/29/20 7:30 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Used with low miles are listed in the low 70s. I looked yesterday even though I had no business looking.

RobertElder
RobertElder New Reader
6/29/20 7:47 p.m.

Should be able to score a 991.1 GT3 in that budget! That's where my money would go.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/29/20 9:07 p.m.

Build a street going clone of Bobby Issac's K&K Insurance Dayona. Pack it with as much current NASCAR suspensionas possible,  an all aluminum 572 Hemi and a 6 speed.

CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter)
CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/29/20 9:50 p.m.

Man, I don't even know what 100k would buy

I'd get a Consulier, probably this one in white.

It wouldn't have cost them anything to make it pretty, but it wouldn't have made it any faster either.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/29/20 10:24 p.m.

I'd buy wife a purple transit with the awesome panoramic glass roof. An enduro bike, Honda flavored, for me. Then I'd bank all but maybe $15k to build my VW. 

My dreams are boring. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/30/20 7:26 a.m.

New Cayman GT4 or C8 Z51 'Vette

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/30/20 8:46 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
dean1484 said:

Mp4-12c

Ask Andy Hollis about his :) When I saw him at the Rolex a few years back, he took our ND V8 for a test drive. The repairs done to his MP4-12C by that time were equal to the turnkey price of that ND V8. And they didn't stop.

For me? Stratos replica. Because I don't have enough cars I don't drive yet!

That is the real world. In the world of this thread what ever you choose will run perfectly for ever. laugh

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
6/30/20 8:51 a.m.

Insay this with all honesty. That is a weird price point, you can get something newer that is cool but hard to maintain which you now don't have the money to do. Or you can go older and less practical. 

ie someone mentioned a mp4. The average repair cost of a mp4 over the first 10 years of ownership is close to 70% of the new cost car if you got unlucky. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/30/20 9:30 a.m.

If this can be split across two vehicles, I'd get a Nissan Pathfinder Armada as a tow vehicle (since my wife likes those and it's her turn for our next vehicle purchase - a Honda Odyssey would also be an option as they have pretty good tow capacity) and some sort of open wheel formula car or sports racer as a track toy. Looks like a full turn key Spec Racer Ford in good shape (including spares and trailer) would fit about half the budget.

If I had to spend it all in one place, it would have to go to something with a license plate as I currently don't have a tow vehicle. While the new C8 Corvette is pretty tempting, I think I might go with a nicely restored 1968 or 1970 Dodge Charger with some minor mods - something I could take the whole family in to events or even for something like Drag Week in the daily driver class.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
6/30/20 11:22 a.m.

Trackhawk?

$25k on stuff to turn my Nova into a pro touring car, a Chevy SS, and a Gladiator for the wife?

$50k for a Caterham 420, $50k for a lightly used Hellcat?

$50k for a used F-Type or V8 Vantage, and the rest for maintenance/insurance/fuel?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r0aTJpG7eRitSDjkRkaYjy5ClpiFLrgeHuxsebXtokl3MqBR0CZu1Z4Ipn71ihaf