1 2 3
hamburglar
hamburglar None
2/9/10 10:44 a.m.

What car would you take on a roadtrip to South America?

Hi guys, a bit of an intro post too, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm considering driving down from Canada to Argentina, 15 000 miles or so. I have been strongly suggested to have a diesel car, as gas can suck in rural areas. It needs:

To fit 4 people and gear.

Be able to drive up mountain passes

Decent fuel consumption (and preferably diesel)

Reliabilty/ Easy to fix with nothing.

Cheap! Total car budget including prep is less than 3000$

Be disposable, I may abandon it at the airport if shipping it home costs too much or the car is broken.

I'm looking to tap into this famous GRM creativity, and in this case, the answer probably isn't miata!

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
2/9/10 10:47 a.m.

I imagine shipping a car from another country would cost a few thousand. I can't imagine spending $2k to bring back a $3k car.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
2/9/10 10:50 a.m.

Jetta TDI if you can find one for less than 3k

A Benz 300TD Wagon

RossD
RossD Dork
2/9/10 10:57 a.m.

not quite a diesel but close, a super beetle! then you'll at least look like a local

hamburglar
hamburglar New Reader
2/9/10 11:02 a.m.

BEETLES! and fit 4? without wanting to kill each other? Not sure about that. Locally, Jetta TDIs are rust buckets in my price range. My personal choice was also the wagon. something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/300tdorg/2406736873/in/set-72157609267375263/

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim HalfDork
2/9/10 11:05 a.m.

W123/W124 Mercedes Diesel is usually a good one, they run on pretty much anything that isn't gas and that does combust. Plus, W123s are pretty simple. But if you need AWD or high ground clearance, well, they're not really what you want...

If I were to plan something like that from over here (UK), I'd probably get an LR Disco in decent working condition or a Toy-ow-ta Land Cruiser with a Diesel. Dunno if you can get those within your budget in Canada, though.

Oh, and I'd very carefully investigate the bit about leaving your car behind. In some countries, that can land you with a rather big bill for import taxes.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
2/9/10 11:16 a.m.

A Toyota Diesel crew-cab truck or Land Rover would be ideal, but maybe hard to find. If it were me, I would want rugged, light, and something I could find parts for along the way. The gas doesn't scare me, just install a bigger fuel filter and bring spares. I would go this route:

Easy to find, cheap, roomy, reliable, and sold throughout S. America so you can find parts and sell it when you are done.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/9/10 11:27 a.m.

What cars have the best service availability in S.A.? I'm guessing Nissan or Toyota.

I would go diesel because fuel quality doesn't effect performance as much as bad gas would. Availabilty of diesel better or worse than gas?

Ottowa to Magellan's Pass, you better bring back some pictures!

Dan

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/9/10 11:30 a.m.
JFX001
JFX001 Dork
2/9/10 11:34 a.m.

http://www.sjrlift.com/

not a diesel....but the car could be bought on the cheap.Strap some jerry cans on a roof rack....some extra lights...

*EDIT...again...not a diesel...but has a following:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/ctd/1591692660.html

hamburglar
hamburglar New Reader
2/9/10 11:44 a.m.

Top Gear Bolivia special!, sort of like that, but without the jungle off-roading. Think more along the lines of the Africa special. As for typical S.A. cars, isuzu, mitsubishi, nissans, toyota: Lots of Japanese stuff.

Selling the car is not allowed in Argentina or Chile (my two possible final destinations), because I would be a foreigner and imports laws bla bla bla. It will probably be literally left at the airport.

In reply to BoxheadTim: My first thoughts were Landcruiser diesel. A good one around here can set you back nearly 10K! I know a lot of LandRovers in my area for the same price range. The problem with both 'Cruisers and 'Rovers is that they are so expensive to buy in the first place it would be a shame to leave it at the end of the trip, which means shipping, which is more money...

A lifted subaru.. that's a neat idea...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
2/9/10 11:46 a.m.

You're serious!? Dude I'm so freaking jealous!

Ok, candidates:

Toyota Hilux (SUV version of Toyota Pickup, not sure if there's a different name for them in the North American market): Whatever you can afford, the worst Pickup/Hilux is still a damn good truck and they're not bad on fuel for their size. I'd go with an NA diesel model for reliability, as tempting as a turbo might be....you don't want to be stuck with your precision instrument of boost broken down in the middle of nowhere. If you can find one in good shape, go for the earlier ones, they have less electronic doodads and can run on WVO without skipping a beat! (At least I know the turbo models can) This would be my first choice.

Toyota Land Cruiser / FJxx: Basically a more utilitarian Hilux.

Nissan Pathfinder/Hardbody pickup: Looks really good on paper, they seem to be reliable and I haven't heard any horror stories. Objections?

Nissan Patrol (bigass truck): All the strengths of the Hilux, with even more space but one disadvantage: They guzzle fuel like a cruise liner. An auxiliary fuel tank would be an absolute must.

Land Rover 3 series or old Defender: Enough said. The hard part is finding an affordable one.

Oh the 4dr sidekick could be an option too, they're very light on gas (no diesel option AFAIK), but they might be short on storage room and the suspension isn't quite bulletproof. I don't know how the 1.6 I4 will stand up to lots of uphill driving - it'll get you there but not necessarily quickly, which could be an issue on long drives.

hamburglar
hamburglar New Reader
2/9/10 11:56 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Seriously suggesting an old Land Rover for reliability and fuel consumption guys? how about price? That sounds like three strikes to me...

I like the Hilux, even if its not a diesel. I've yet to see one within 500 miles though, or even close to my budget! Along those lines, I could downgrade to an old 4Runner, which may be the same thing?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/9/10 12:00 p.m.
hamburglar wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: Seriously suggesting an old Land Rover for reliability and fuel consumption guys? how about price? That sounds like three strikes to me... I like the Hilux, even if its not a diesel. I've yet to see one within 500 miles though, or even close to my budget! Along those lines, I could downgrade to an old 4Runner, which may be the same thing?

Define old.... Discos and Rangies can EASILY be found within his budget, and in pretty decent shape. Reliability is only based on what you consider reliable. They'll get you there, whether or not all the electronics and silly creature comfort work at that point is another ball game.

Fuel efficient, probably not.

hamburglar
hamburglar New Reader
2/9/10 12:08 p.m.

In reply to 93celicaGT2:

Sorry, forgot how old is a very relative term. Okay, I meant old as in series 1 or 2 land rovers. Which are harder to find within my budget. The only one I found needed way way too much work to start with. Disco's are somewhat available in my price range, but are visibly, complete rust buckets to begin with. Running or road legal Range Rovers are still out of budget. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

As for reliable, I don't care too much about creature comfort and electrics. I mean reliable as in I won't have to stop every 1000 miles for repairs. I'm okay with doing maintenance, because it's easier to plan for that. I mean reliability in the sense that it will function as a car, to get me from A to B, without too much fuss.

That being said, I do expect to have mechanical problems, its better to be in that mindset from the start.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
2/9/10 12:14 p.m.
  1. benz turbo-diesel sedan or wagon
  2. lift kit
  3. off-road lights
  4. ?
  5. profit!
twolittlebroncos
twolittlebroncos New Reader
2/9/10 12:19 p.m.

I'm having flashbacks to the TV show I watched where a guy was riding his motorcycle through SA and was kidnapped in Columbia... plan your route very carefully.

I lived in Venezuela for a while and have always want to do a similar trip. I'd be very reluctant to go to Columbia or Venezuela given my nationality and the current political situations in both countries.

Ideal would be a diesel Hilux, but it's probably not within your budget and you don't want to leave one at the airport. Diesel really limits the choices. A full-size truck (diesel or gas) would allow you to carry a lot of fuel which reduces your dependency on finding fuel en route.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
2/9/10 12:26 p.m.

like this, only newer, with more lift:

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
2/9/10 12:31 p.m.
hamburglar wrote: In reply to 93celicaGT2: Sorry, forgot how old is a very relative term. Okay, I meant old as in series 1 or 2 land rovers. Which are harder to find within my budget. The only one I found needed way way too much work to start with. Disco's are somewhat available in my price range, but are visibly, complete rust buckets to begin with. Running or road legal Range Rovers are still out of budget. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. As for reliable, I don't care too much about creature comfort and electrics. I mean reliable as in I won't have to stop every 1000 miles for repairs. I'm okay with doing maintenance, because it's easier to plan for that. I mean reliability in the sense that it will function as a car, to get me from A to B, without too much fuss. That being said, I do expect to have mechanical problems, its better to be in that mindset from the start.

Well, I wouldn't worry too much about bit of rust in a vehicle that's only going to go on one trip. And when you do ford any rivers, it'll let the water back out... I mean, isn't this sort of trip exactly what these vehicles were designed for?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild New Reader
2/9/10 12:33 p.m.

i second the mercedes 300 wagon idea. my family had one for years and aside from needing to charge the AC every year, the thing was dead on reliable.... even with the turbo. and there are lots of mercedes cars in SA (half the german army moved there after WW2) so i am sure you can find parts if needed. second would be swapping in a relatively newer model GM diesel into an old suburban. lots of room. seriously cheap (for the suburban anyway) and there is no way you wont find GM diesel parts all over SA.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
2/9/10 12:35 p.m.

Old School Bus. Every few years my friend's church rounds up a couple old school buses and drives them down to various points in South and Central America for churches down there to use. They are rugged, probably in your price range, and if it's donated at the end you can probably write a chunk of the bus and trip off your taxes.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
2/9/10 12:44 p.m.
hamburglar wrote: In reply to 93celicaGT2: Sorry, forgot how old is a very relative term. Okay, I meant old as in series 1 or 2 land rovers. Which are harder to find within my budget. The only one I found needed way way too much work to start with. Disco's are somewhat available in my price range, but are visibly, complete rust buckets to begin with. Running or road legal Range Rovers are still out of budget. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. As for reliable, I don't care too much about creature comfort and electrics. I mean reliable as in I won't have to stop every 1000 miles for repairs. I'm okay with doing maintenance, because it's easier to plan for that. I mean reliability in the sense that it will function as a car, to get me from A to B, without too much fuss. That being said, I do expect to have mechanical problems, its better to be in that mindset from the start.

Hrmmm... price may be a geographic thing, then. I see plenty of running Range Rover Classics for under $2000 within a 500 mile range of me, and quite a few around the $1000 mark that could probably be made road worthy without too much additional investment.

hamburglar
hamburglar New Reader
2/9/10 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V:

I'm not sure quite what you guys are imagining. My understanding is that 60% of the roads I plan to travel are paved. If i take side roads, they are considered "bumpy" so I would need more ground clearance, but not necessarily in the off-road truck range. These may be gravel, mud, sand or anything in between. Most locals don't necessarily drive 4x4 trucks, although I'm sure most would like to. A jacked up road car would have plenty of clearance. I like that rally merc very much!

How comfortable would you be with a loaded hilux, +4 people for 15 000 miles? How about the all important fuel economy?

As for rust, yeah, I'm Canadian, I live in the stuff, everything I own or have ever owned has rust. In terms of the land rovers I saw being rust buckets, well, I mean structurally unsound rust buckets, not the "has patina" kind of rust bucket.

As for safety in Columbia and such: I'm still at the planning stage. I have a few contacts locally who may be willing to help me out/guide me through. There are few countries where safety is a bigger concern, like guatemala, or Columbia. Nothing that can't be overcome, it has been done before and can be done again. I've travelled to far eastern Russia and Mongolia before and I've heard a lot of horror stories from there too. I'm not going to be stupid about it, and will plan/research this thoroughly. Thank you for your concern, twolittlebroncos. I would be interested in any insights you may care to share with me.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
2/9/10 1:01 p.m.
hamburglar wrote: In reply to Chris_V: I'm not sure quite what you guys are imagining. My understanding is that 60% of the roads I plan to travel are paved. If i take side roads, they are considered "bumpy" so I would need more ground clearance, but not necessarily in the off-road truck range.

An off-road truck maybe overkill but a car may not be enough...you don't want to hit a massive pothole / stupid animal / edge of road and be stuck with a wheel hanging off, and if you encounter any mud "roads" in South America you'll absolutely need 4WD - make sure at least one wheel on each axle will get power at all times or you don't stand a chance in the slop.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim HalfDork
2/9/10 1:26 p.m.
Chris_V wrote:
hamburglar wrote: In reply to 93celicaGT2: Sorry, forgot how old is a very relative term. Okay, I meant old as in series 1 or 2 land rovers. Which are harder to find within my budget. The only one I found needed way way too much work to start with. Disco's are somewhat available in my price range, but are visibly, complete rust buckets to begin with. Running or road legal Range Rovers are still out of budget. Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.
Well, I wouldn't worry too much about bit of rust in a vehicle that's only going to go on one trip. And when you do ford any rivers, it'll let the water back out... I mean, isn't this sort of trip exactly what these vehicles were designed for?

Only problem with visible rust in LRs and RRs is that it's usually in the chassis and trunk floor. Neither is what I'd call ideal...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d5JlX6NkVITQUP5wMlzJCBisljGmDsIAapQER4Vr0G8skDQNtHFqikS6fQoSJUtN