2 3 4 5
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/15/22 11:02 a.m.

+1 for E28 or E24

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
6/15/22 11:16 a.m.

It would be a commercial flop but I always wanted to build hot rod Cressidas.

Two versions: 

One with a 600hp turbo Supra motor 

One with NA motor complete with ITBs using slide valve throttle bodies just so you could here the intake roar everytime you stepped on it.

I'd use a 6 speed manual in the NA motored version but some kind of sequential trans in the turbo car.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/15/22 11:19 a.m.

There are a several guys on the mye28.com board who've done an S54 swap / restomod of an e28 5 series.  It's a good platform to start with, a lot of things like brakes and suspension can be updated with factory parts pretty easily.  Here are a couple of them.

https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=108450&hilit=toronto

https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=137105&hilit=minerva

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/15/22 11:49 a.m.

How about dupes of the 88 Fiero GT (they year with the good suspension)  with an LS engine in it?

And to the chap that mentioned the MGA coupe, I agree that there are a lot of little things like the cool external door pulls that subtly make it a stylish car.  And IMHO, anyway, they look even better with modern tires on wider wheels.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/15/22 12:41 p.m.
Rusnak_322 said:

C3 Corvette. Especially the rubber bumper cars. So much potential with those bulging vendors and coke bottle profile. 

Stock, rest car is blah.

I agree, but backdate the bodies to the chrome bumpers from 68-72.

When I read the title I had originally thought the G body platform could be effectively a blank slate with lots of potential, but doesn't have the status to support the financial aspect. 

That leaves the idea to take the Ferrari Mondial, 308, or 348 and update it to be a modern super car. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
6/15/22 2:32 p.m.

Oh, and it's patently stupid, but I've always thought VW Fastbacks were cool, and doing a replacement for the VW pan with a proper engine where the back seat used to be (and proper suspension, and... etc) seems like a good start. There's enough about VWs that's cool to me that I think the interior could be made pleasantly cool, comfortable, and interesting. There's probably some sort of Venn diagram joke involving old VWs, BMWs, Porsches, and gummihaar...

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/15/22 4:13 p.m.

Just thought of a car I'd love to be able to buy - Porsche 904!  Preferably the 904-6

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) Dork
6/15/22 5:16 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

http://www.beck904.com/ 

The 904 is my favorite Porsche.

Folgers
Folgers Reader
6/15/22 6:21 p.m.

Vintage Turbo dodges, anything with a 2.2 or 2.5. 

I would bury myself in them. Assuming I’ve won the lottery. 

Who needs 15 turbo voyagers? Me. 

You need a K car station wagon? I’ve got thirty in the west garage. 

When I get bored with replacing head gaskets, I hop into one of my 47  first gen Cummins rams, and drive the country side in southern climes. Buying every 30 year old pos that mother mopar made that hasn't succumbed to the tin worm. 

I would part with some of them, to other like minded automotive perverts like you guys. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/15/22 6:29 p.m.

What about Saab and Volvo?  

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/15/22 6:49 p.m.

The Walker/Singer thing is way overrated IMO. It's a way for boring-but-rich people to think that they are cool. It's done for Porsche owners what Tiger Woods did for golf.

We all love restomods. But what Walker/Singer do is to make something desirable even more so. So that means that you needn't consider 1970s Chevys and such which will only be cool to a relatively small segment of the population. That probably also precludes my beloved Corvairs and Old Volvos.

So what marques have cachet but could use a quick picker-upper? I submit that the Italians, French and a few Brits fill the bill. How about Alfa 164s or later GTVs? Lancia Scorpions or Zagatos. Aston Martins or Lambos. 

Edit: Or underapreciated BMWs like the Bavaria 

GaryC83
GaryC83 Reader
6/15/22 7:34 p.m.

I don't know if they've been mentioned. But Totem Automobili is another company I respect. They are doing some marvelous things...

https://www.totemautomobili.com/

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/15/22 7:34 p.m.
Rusnak_322 said:

C3 Corvette. Especially the rubber bumper cars. So much potential with those bulging vendors and coke bottle profile. 

Stock, rest car is blah.

Quoted for correct answer.

/Thread

And I'll supply my 75 to start things off. Chevy made half a million of them. Plenty enough parts and support. And that body. Damn!

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
6/15/22 10:02 p.m.

VW SP2.  I think this model should get a full reproduction with a turbo 3cyl. 

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
6/15/22 10:54 p.m.

When I look at my MGA Coupe and compare it to a finished car I have to admit, mine is a rough canvas that might be beyond me.  But it has such a pull on me.  But knowing what I would change to update it keeps me sitting on my hands and wallet.

So the car sits, inside in dry space. Its that darn gear box, the driving experience is awful. Really.  Drive a MGA and tell me what you think! 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
6/15/22 11:05 p.m.

Early Mustang. But not an aggressive pro touring hot rod with a big V8 and fat tires.

Think updated but classy, good brakes suspension tuned for street driving, and electric power. Add rigidity, noise damping, and modern conveniences.

You could use it everyday and the 1964 1/2 Mustang is at least almost as iconic as a Porsche.

Edit: that's what I think people might actually buy.

For myself... probably a lowered and wide body Toyota Previa or something :P

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/15/22 11:47 p.m.

Came here to say Big Healey. Glad I'm not the only one thinking that direction. 

Also, BMW 6 series, Mercedes SEC, and Impala SS's would be good options. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/16/22 5:58 a.m.
mtn said:

Came here to say Big Healey. Glad I'm not the only one thinking that direction. 

Also, BMW 6 series, Mercedes SEC, and Impala SS's would be good options. 

For the SEC I kinda think what Benny S was building when they were new is the right move. Smoothed everywhere with flares, more power and a wicked interior

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
6/16/22 9:02 a.m.

I have been thinking about how to do something similar to Singer and Arkonik (who do cool builds with Land Rover Defenders) with the Nissan GQ (Y60) Patrol. I have zero idea how to go about getting a business like this off the ground though. Plus I'm not sure I want the stress.

In stock form, these are probably one of the most capable vehicles around, and the driveline is as close to indestructible as a factory has ever produced.

With some tasteful mods, these can look very mean and are unstoppable off road. As part of the package I'd re-engine these with the customer's choice of Duramax or Cummins diesels or LS V8's and auto or manual transmission to suit.

Here's a pic of the Y60 ute I used to own and still feel sad about selling:

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/16/22 9:05 a.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I don't get why Magnus Walker and Singer are used synonymously? I feel like Magnus cars are a little out there, where as Singer cars are rather subdued and highlights the 911 already positive design traits. Then there's RWB lol. I like them all though. And it's okay to be rich-but-boring and pay for stuff to get done to your already cool car. Especially if you don't have time to do it yourself because you're busy as hell making money lol. 

And what Tiger Woods did for golf is what they did for Porsche owners? Explain, because all he did was be an exceptional golfer. So you're saying Singer cars are exceptional like Tiger Woods? How is that overrated then?

Lol

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/16/22 12:58 p.m.
jr02518 said:

When I look at my MGA Coupe and compare it to a finished car I have to admit, mine is a rough canvas that might be beyond me.  But it has such a pull on me.  But knowing what I would change to update it keeps me sitting on my hands and wallet.

So the car sits, inside in dry space. Its that darn gear box, the driving experience is awful. Really.  Drive a MGA and tell me what you think! 

I have owned mine so long (since the 1970s) that I have restored it twice. 

Gassing up at Alturas CA in 1980, over 40 years ago:

Today:

Doesn't matter if you do a slow or fast restoration and they make very usable classics.  I am fine with the non synchro first gear (the other gears have synchros that may need replacement during restoration) and I use a mildly tuned 3 main bearing early MGB engine that slots right in.  Take your time - it will be worth it.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/16/22 5:01 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Singer brought black people into Porsches maybe?

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
6/16/22 7:10 p.m.

Hmmm.  Cars built to win the Ridler Award.   I don't mean that as a bad thing.  BTW, are Singer Porsches driven or just parked away as an asset?

I do admit that when I owned a Type III Fastback I wanted 911 Turbo flares on it with Fuchs wheels.

And another thing, start with some run down POS and save it even though it is cheaper to start with the best car you can find.  Old cars are a finite resource.  (Well, except for Mustangs and Camaros, early Novas, 32 Fords, 40 Fords, Model A Fords, Tri five Chevies, some Broncos, some Chevelles, Challengers, Ford Pickups, Chevy Pickups and more.)  Insert Gilda Radner saying "Nevermind" here.  

Wait, I think I just laid out the script for Overhaulin...  blush

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/16/22 7:32 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:
Rusnak_322 said:

Stock, rest car is blah.

Quoted for correct answer.

/Thread

And I'll supply my 75 to start things off. Chevy made half a million of them. Plenty enough parts and support. And that body. Damn!

Imagine a Z3 with a chrome bumper C3 body.

80sFast
80sFast Reader
6/16/22 8:08 p.m.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CGE3lyl5flD2h2RcPTTdbt3v1y0zXGORiAYxNoRZdsbh6G21jz2LzAkBFnNC07jH