1 2
Jerry
Jerry UberDork
5/29/18 10:51 a.m.

A few years ago I bought the current iOtto something that was well-rated. Combo of suction cup and some kind of sticky inside made it so I had to use both hands and sometimes feet to remove.  Wonderful, bought two more for the other cars.

This weekend the one in the WRX was melting off of the windshield in the heat/sun.  Adhesive was actually running down the windshield.  The other two are still fine....

What's the latest greatest?  I definitely need something for the WRX since that's my only clock and Google maps/WAZE.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
5/29/18 11:02 a.m.

I like the ones that fit in the CD player slot. I don't use the thing anyway, I hate sticking anything adhesive on my cars, and suction cups are always an iffy proposition at the temperature extremes.

I think the one in my car is an MPOW, looks like this.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/29/18 11:03 a.m.

I too have the iOtto model since Mid 2016 and placed in a couple of cars since that time.  Yesterday they said it hit 99 degrees here.  Mine is affixed with the super goo suction cup right to the dashboard.  Yesterday it started to "un-mount" in the heat.  

Other wise, it has been great.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BZC262Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been using this iOttie CD slot holder on my Prius and have been very happy with it.  Since I never use the CD but rather XM radio I do not miss the ability to use the CD.  

https://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Holder-Cradle-iPhone-Samsung/dp/B017HME9AU 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
5/29/18 11:04 a.m.

Im using the green magnet kind i get at orielleys for 11 bucks. Love it.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/29/18 11:11 a.m.

Been using a RAM Mount X-Grip for years.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/29/18 11:11 a.m.

iOttie has a lot of things listed on Amazon's list of best selling wireless accessories 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/29/18 11:37 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Me too.  Even on track, it works great every time. 

spandak
spandak Reader
5/29/18 1:25 p.m.

I use one that sticks to the dash and mounts the phone via magnet. It works very well and is pretty small which I like. I have the magnet off center on the phone so it will rotate on bumpy roads but it’s never dropped the phone. No issues with heat either. It’s been on there for a few years now  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I608BJ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1527618333&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=scosche+magic+mount&dpPl=1&dpID=41r9va2IMEL&ref=plSrch

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
5/29/18 1:32 p.m.

Anyone able to recommend one of the magnetic holders that mounts in a cd player slot?  I had one, but it kept loosening up allowing the arm to droop every time I drove the car and after a few weeks of tightening the wing nut every day it would no longer tighten up.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Reader
5/29/18 1:35 p.m.

I use the MobArmor Pro 90 http://mobarmor.com/mobnetic-pro-90/ in all my vehicles. I have 2 of them and a base in every car. 2 years and going strong on them.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
5/29/18 1:41 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I too have the iOtto model since Mid 2016 and placed in a couple of cars since that time.  Yesterday they said it hit 99 degrees here.  Mine is affixed with the super goo suction cup right to the dashboard.  Yesterday it started to "un-mount" in the heat.  

Other wise, it has been great.  

The Abarth and WRX were parked side by side in the driveway like normal.  The holders are about the same age, give or take a month.  The Abarth's is fine, the holder in the WRX is just melting away...

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 Reader
5/29/18 1:49 p.m.

I replaced one of my a pillar trim bolts with a longer bolt, a spacer and once of the ram mount balls, and then stuck an extension and x grip holder in that. Works beautifully and it'll never fall off because the adhesive or suction failed. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
5/29/18 2:01 p.m.

ProClip dash bracket for your car plus ram x-grip is my current gold standard. It's about $75 for both, but for each new car you only have to replace the $35 dash bracket and you can get knock off x-grips on evilbay for $15.  My wife doesn't like the x-grip so she uses the ProClip phone holder instead, but I got her the adjustable one and it's 11 years, 3 cars, and 4 phones old.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
5/29/18 2:09 p.m.

I use exactly the same one spandak linked. Just got another mount for the new pickup. The one in the mini's been through several autocrosses without dropping the phone, as well as a number of potholes.

I had my first-ever dropped phone incident today, but I'm pretty sure that's just because my wife was using my phone, and reached over to put it back on and put it where *her* phone's plate would line up with the magnet, while mine's a bit different. Nothing had happened that was anywhere near the jolts and jostles it's ignored plenty of times before.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/29/18 2:34 p.m.

I usually just use my left front packet or one of the cupholders to hold my phone while I'm in the car, so I'm of no help here.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
5/29/18 2:47 p.m.
Sonic said:
BoxheadTim said:

Me too.  Even on track, it works great every time. 

I found that for on track use, it works even better if you get a metal instead of a plastic arm. I didn't even realise that they had two types of arm until I read about that on another forum. The heavier metal arms tend to reduce the amount of vibration that's transmitted to the mount.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/29/18 2:54 p.m.

Another vote for RAM X-Grip. I even use one on my Trihull boat, and despite the filling-rattling ride in chop and some serious wake pounding it has never dropped my phone Or even gone out of adjustment.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
5/29/18 6:11 p.m.
RevRico
RevRico UberDork
5/29/18 6:14 p.m.
T.J. said:

I usually just use my left front packet or one of the cupholders to hold my phone while I'm in the car, so I'm of no help here.

Same. During auto or rally cross I'll toss it in the center console if I'm logging or trying to use music to increase my times. 

Hal
Hal UltraDork
5/29/18 7:39 p.m.

I like the Pro-Clip setups.  The idea of separate mounting brackets and device holders is nice.  In my Outback I have both of their brackets and can move the tablet and phone from one to the other.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
5/29/18 7:41 p.m.

Ram Mount X-Grip for phones, ipads, and all of our electronics in the rally car. They never slip.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
5/29/18 8:35 p.m.

In reply to Hal :

How do the X-Grip bits attach?  Do you drill holes in the ProClip?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
5/30/18 5:55 a.m.
Jerry said:

In reply to Hal :

How do the X-Grip bits attach?  Do you drill holes in the ProClip?

If you are attaching the ram mount to a pro clip base you replace the suction cup with one of these

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
5/30/18 7:01 a.m.

In reply to oldopelguy :

And added to list.  Thanks.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
5/30/18 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

I use the ProClip holders, but the piece Oldopelguy linked would work for what you want to do.  I like the ProClip bases because they clip on using existing seams in the vehicle.  Even with the off roading I do I have never had one come loose.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kUIUhHVjuEPammGDSjUt1RaS94rn22K7OgwEWPhGEuOnJVN6NUyDCVTn31pg2v1d