1 2
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/9/23 8:53 a.m.

New-to-me 944 needs a cellphone holder, and my recent S23 Ultra means it needs to hold a biggun...  I did not have luck with RAM a handful of years ago with the WRX, fell off at least 3 times in the sun.

Vanmoss this looks like a newer version of what a friend has.  Anyone have thoughts?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/9/23 8:58 a.m.

ProClip is the only phone mount I have ever had worth a E36 M3.  I installed it 1.5ish years(?) ago, and its been untouched since then.

They don't make a 944 solution, but I wonder if on the 944 forums someone has a specific recommendation?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
3/9/23 9:02 a.m.
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/23 9:07 a.m.

Based on the forum’s recommendation, I went with the Panavise PortaGrip. Looks like it’s now on sale for $18.42. It’s been almost two years and am still happy with it. I use it with an iPhone XS. 

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/9/23 9:56 a.m.

If you want to go with a magnetic type, i have these in several cars. Pretty small, adjustable, and the magnets hold well. They're like 18 from Amazon

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/9/23 11:35 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

ProClip is the only phone mount I have ever had worth a E36 M3.  I installed it 1.5ish years(?) ago, and its been untouched since then.

They don't make a 944 solution, but I wonder if on the 944 forums someone has a specific recommendation?

iOttie One Touch phone holder attached to a Proclip mount. Only way to fly.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
3/9/23 11:55 a.m.

I 3D printed one for the Miata.  To that I bolted a generic tripod phone mount.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
3/9/23 7:33 p.m.

I have a lady named Barbara who holds my flip phone. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
3/9/23 8:19 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Sounds expensive

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
3/9/23 9:49 p.m.
TRoglodyte said:

In reply to L5wolvesf :

Sounds expensive

Aren’t they all? This is a fairly new service provider so I haven’t paid the price . . . yet. But I imagine I will. At that point I may opt to find another service provider. I would have to see how the reception is and what level of services are available.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
3/10/23 9:22 a.m.

Nobody likes the Weathertech Cup Phone?

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/10/23 9:33 a.m.

I've gotten a few vehicle specific mounts from Rennline that I've liked a lot.  Not cheap, but typically good instructions and a solid mount.

https://www.rennline.com/exactfit-magnetic-phone-mount-944-sku-pm01-23/

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/10/23 9:35 a.m.

I'm a big fan of Quadlock, though they're not cheap. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
3/10/23 9:36 a.m.

I just got Quad Lock for my motorcycle and it's pretty stout. Requires a different case or a stickon though. I plan to use it for cycling and my other cars too. My DD has android auto so it stays in a cubby normally.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/10/23 9:37 a.m.

With Android Auto, I only need to mount my phone for track days and perhaps long drives where I want to use other functions. So getting it in and out quickly is not a big concern, so I went this route. VERY secure, easy to cinch down, phone is rock solid (Galaxy S22 Ultra) 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/10/23 10:21 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) :

Oooh, that looks nice. Got a link?

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
3/10/23 12:08 p.m.

My oldest got one of these:

https://www.proclipusa.com/

It seems well made.

thewheelman
thewheelman Reader
3/10/23 2:34 p.m.

If Course Motorsports has an option for you, I highly suggest them. I have one of their mounts in my wife's Tahoe, and it's fantastic (I just discovered they offer a dual mount option too!). Had a Proclip before, but didn't like the mounting position. 

I'm also waiting for them to get their S550 Mustang mounts back in stock. I had a stick on for a while, but didn't like how jiggly it was. 

https://coursemotorsports.com/

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
3/10/23 2:56 p.m.

So magnetic or finger clamps for holding the phone?  Windshield suction cup or plastic disc stuck on the dash?

nlevine
nlevine Reader
3/10/23 3:48 p.m.

Not sure which interior your 944 has, but if it's the old style, there's a ProClip that works well (I have one in my 924S). Slides between the trim around the vents.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
3/10/23 4:06 p.m.

I got tired of those cumbersome multi-part monstrosities and tried the Carmount.  Its uses a magnet you attach to your phone.  Holds quite well and is easy to snap in place and easy to remove.  Not recommended for motorsports though.  Here is a picture of one to the right of the screen in my FK8.

Carmount  I got mine on a sale for $10 each.  Have them in 3 cars.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
3/10/23 4:38 p.m.

I use a proclip in my Miata and a RAM x-grip with suction cup mount in the Xterra. Both seem to do well. Neither one has failed me so far. 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip Reader
3/10/23 6:44 p.m.

I use the Carmount as well in many cars now.   They stick well, don't vibrate (which is a must for me), easy magnet attachment and cheap.  They also are low profile and don't look out of place in anything i have them in.  

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/13/23 8:22 a.m.

I've seen Carmount ads on Facebook lately (thanks Mr Zuck).  Do they work with the wireless phone chargers?

I use a Panavise mount and a Proclip device holder. I'm not a fan of magnetic mounts as it interferes with wireless charging. I also don't like suction cup mounts as any big changes in temperature (like parking in the sun) cause the mount to fall off. I want a sold mechanical connection to the vehicle.

Those DirectFit mounts look interesting though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ARyO78GwXROu0HOrMYz2wXPR2W46xlN40h9kYgBxjBn3b5stb897dshOgVCweevC