1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
6/28/22 12:46 p.m.
feature_image

Why set up a race circuit in a city? Public roads add a layer of difficulty for both driver and car alike that aren’t normally found at a dedicated race track, like varied road surfaces with differing levels of grip and a lack of runoff area that make mistakes costly.

You’ve …

Read the rest of the story

golfduke
golfduke Dork
6/28/22 12:48 p.m.

Boston, because I always vote for pure chaos. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/28/22 12:49 p.m.

San Francisco

wae
wae PowerDork
6/28/22 12:50 p.m.

NASCAR Cup Series using that loop road for the terminal pick ups and drop offs at DFW.

wae
wae PowerDork
6/28/22 12:53 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

San Francisco

With stadium trucks

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve New Reader
6/28/22 1:02 p.m.

It's always fun when video game designers build the street circuits we'll never get.

With stadium trucks

It may not exactly be a sim racer, but Blur has you covered:

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/28/22 1:06 p.m.
wae said:
93EXCivic said:

San Francisco

With stadium trucks

With diesel powered Hummers. 

(Which is about as likely as any car race in SF)

I have to say, in general, street circuits are very narrow, make for bad racing, hard to watch and based on sim driving, not enjoyable to drive (in the GRM AC racing series, we avoid them like the plague).

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
6/28/22 1:34 p.m.

Not Cincinnati... unless you want off-road truck!  (Yes, our streets are that bad and , no, we don't need another tax levy promising to fix them.)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/28/22 1:36 p.m.
wae said:
93EXCivic said:

San Francisco

With stadium trucks

Mustang vs Charger shootout.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/28/22 1:39 p.m.
aircooled said:

I have to say, in general, street circuits are very narrow, make for bad racing, hard to watch and based on sim driving, not enjoyable to drive (in the GRM AC racing series, we avoid them like the plague).

Yeah, I'm gonna go with none.  We've got more than enough of them already.

Asphalt_Gundam
Asphalt_Gundam Reader
6/28/22 1:44 p.m.

Not a circuit but I'd love to see a rally sprint stage (dirt + asphalt sections) or Touge battle setup (Formula D would be bonkers as well) be run on Skyline Avenue in Duluth, MN. Twists, turns, through the woods and over look views with the twin ports as the backdrop. Would be one heck of a spectacle event IMO.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/28/22 1:53 p.m.

Philadelphia - which actually did host a road race through Fairmount Park over a century ago:   

More recently (a little more than a decade ago) the city did close a good portion of the area for the Philly Classic bicycle race, which while very popular among fans, was stopped due to lack of sponsor funding.  

A course layout could be up MLK Blvd on the west side of the Schuylkill River, cross the Strawberry Mansion Bridge, then down Kelly Dr. to the Art Museum.  It would be an... interesting... course... no idea where the pits could go... 

I give it a near-zero chance of ever happening, but anyone who has driven on these roads has definitely thought about it.

hunter47
hunter47 Reader
6/28/22 1:57 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Disagree. Long Beach Grand Prix is one of my favorite races to attend, race on sim driving, and watch. 

What city needs one? None of them. 

What would I like to see one in? San Diego, specifically downtown. There are a bunch of roads through the industrial areas that could connect to make an interesting circuit, and you could have the main straight go down in front of the convention center.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
6/28/22 2:01 p.m.

The Love Canal district of Niagara Falls NY.. Not only does it have a hilarious name, but you could probably get away with building a permanent circuit there.. What else are they going to do with the land..

iansane
iansane Dork
6/28/22 2:15 p.m.

The elevation change in downtown Seattle would be brutal on a racecar. It'd be awesome.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
6/28/22 2:31 p.m.

In reply to drsmooth :

Would it look anything like this?

John Prieve
John Prieve New Reader
6/28/22 2:38 p.m.

Every state should have at least one toll road open to the public like the Nordschleife.

jmabarone
jmabarone Reader
6/28/22 2:50 p.m.

I would love to set up a kart race in Stuart, VA.  I have a pretty good course layout in my head...natural curves, elevation changes, and some good areas for speed.  

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
6/28/22 2:57 p.m.

Jacksonville might be a pretty interesting place.  It's been over 25 years since I've been there, so it might be way too crowded to do it now somewhere around the waterfront.

stroker
stroker PowerDork
6/28/22 3:00 p.m.

Wasn't there somebody "seriously" pitching a F1 street race in NYC a couple of years ago...?

If I had to pick a city, I'd suggest Chicago or Minneapolis.

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/28/22 3:04 p.m.
golfduke said:

Boston, because I always vote for pure chaos. 

They tried in 2016. Resulted in many legal actions... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_of_Boston

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
6/28/22 3:09 p.m.

The Blues Brothers have already answered this question.

tb
tb Dork
6/28/22 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

This. You have basically described the circuit (with endless variations) that I have enjoyed for decades with everything from 50cc scooters to Vipers. The scenery and atmosphere is wonderful and there is a perfect mix of twisties, elevation changes, sweepers and straights.

The Ben Franklin Parkway is regularly closed for major events so continuing down to Logan Circle would add plenty of room for pits, or they could be squeezed into the South/East half of Eakins Oval.

It is incredibly dangerous, but the big dip just West of Lemon Hill Mansion is a life changing visceral experience when taken at speed.

Defined motorsports
Defined motorsports SuperDork
6/28/22 3:42 p.m.
iansane said:

The elevation change in downtown Seattle would be brutal on a racecar. It'd be awesome.

GT did it. And it's still one of my favorite tracks. 

f1carguy
f1carguy New Reader
6/28/22 4:05 p.m.

This is all downhill and lots of fun. Sorry not a city cuicut but a regular German back road!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
enjkiRk83Ru30FFUSBoA7hjLeJzchkDjNpYaOQgYlEG7DsDaeDQRb9zIgLrGD70s