donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/17/17 8:47 p.m.

I'm super excited... and super experience... after my last VW experience with the b5 1.8t passat that had fairly poor maitinace about 1/2 way though it's life (given to a friend at 16, was her dads from new)... I bought it for cheap 7 years later)... it still was the most comfortable car I've ever driven, perfect seating position... but 2kish VW electrical grimlens and a few deffered mechanical issues... it went bubye...

today I picked up an 06 jetta TDI base model from a friend of mine (2nd owner)... it has the "auto" trans... 150k miles on it, well taken care of, major service (timing belt etc) is due again in 30k miles or so ... but the scary...  it was a bit of a flood victim... enough water got in that he cut out the carpets but seats are fine... mechanically it still seems great, fun to drive etc... I know the car has a few mods here and there.. the panzer plate is the only one I know off hand, had a bunch of stuff done to the suspension but haven't had a chance to look at it ... and sadly the records of the car where flooded as the house was a good bit lower than the garage the car sat in :(... 

the price is more than worth my risk... the car looks amazing on the outside... all electronics work well... I figure if something does end up wrong the engine itself is more than worth the price and I've always wanted to swap a TDI into a mkII golf or old vw caddy.

right now I need to figure out a few odds and ends... a/c not blowing cold... electric seat recline not working (was before flood)... and replace the cut out carpet...

hoepfully this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass... 

no pics of the exterior... will get some tomm I suppose...

but here is the 1.9l of powa...

dressed... 

and without clothes.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/17/17 9:19 p.m.

Father in law has a PD TDI wagon manual its been good to him so far. Mine was an ALH but I think they are still solid. Just make sure it gets timing belt lots of sites out there with tons of info and dedicated parts vendors

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/18/17 6:19 a.m.

tdiclub.com for knowledge

idparts.com for bits and tools.

Ross-tech for diagnostic software.  While a generic OBDII code reader will work for some things, a VAG-COM focused program will provide considerably more useful information specific to VAG products.  I'm not sure about the PD engine, but it's essentially mandatory for working on an ALH.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/18/17 7:12 a.m.

I never got worse than 39mpg in mine. And that was 100+ degrees all city driving with 4 adults in the car

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i7QFKU92Z72dYeQ3XetpvnQW6f6rPrMjt7j9ZSxbM2uwQ9UVTum64MRLoqCJ2c9G