secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/16/20 9:28 p.m.

I may go look at an '02 GMC extended cab with the LB7 Duramax/Allison combo this weekend.  From the description it sounds like it needs injectors. Owner indicates hazing at idle which seems to the be the primary symptom of leaking injectors.  Any idea what this should cost if paying a shop to replace all the injectors? Any special tools needed to self perform?  What other "gotcha's" do I need to look out for?

If I end up acquiring this fine piece of machinery, will it fit on a U-haul car trailer (not a tow dolly)? Looks like it's about 75 miles away and I would plan on towing with my '05 Tahoe.

Edited to correct the engine code in this post...can't fix the title...

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
1/16/20 9:54 p.m.

Lm7 isn't a duramax that I'm aware of, to my knowledge, its a 5.3l iron ls. Aside from that, I have little to offer. 

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/16/20 10:08 p.m.

In reply to Carbon :

Yes, I'm a moron. LB7 not LM7. 

codrus
codrus UberDork
1/17/20 12:40 a.m.

LB7 injectors are expensive.  $300-350 each for the injectors themselves and it's something ridiculous like 12 hours of labor because they're buried beneath the valve covers.  Expect it to be $5K+ at a dealer.

Googling it, a U-haul trailer weight limit is about 5200 pounds and an LB7 truck is going to be more than that.  That said, they're usually drivable with leaky injectors unless they're really really bad.

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/17/20 5:12 a.m.

In reply to codrus :

Driving it home requires a "volunteer" to help out. Sadly, In the past 9 months I have discovered how unreliable or useless most of my "buddies" are & how difficult it is to do some things by yourself...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/17/20 5:43 a.m.

If it is 75 only miles away, AAA Gold package includes towing up to 100 miles. 

Have a non expired plate on the truck, even if the plate is not rightly from the truck, and AAA will tow it. 

Here's some previous chatter  and shared experiences with AAA

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/17/20 6:03 a.m.

If you're really confident, how much would it cost to Uber?

APEowner
APEowner Dork
1/17/20 8:27 a.m.

You're not going to want to tow a Duramax truck with a Tahoe regardless of what trailer you use.  You could however tow an empty U-Haul trailer out with the Tahoe and then put the Tahoe on it and pull it back with the Duramax.

06HHR
06HHR Dork
1/17/20 8:44 a.m.

Go Greyhound? 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/17/20 9:26 a.m.

The truck won't fit on a Uhaul trailer, it isn't long enough. I barely got a 1987 Dakota long bed on one.

Here are a couple picts of a trailer with a regular truck on it.    Link

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
1/17/20 9:45 a.m.

I once hiked 75 miles.  How bad do you really want it?

Curtis73
Curtis73 UltimaDork
1/17/20 10:12 a.m.

Dad's LB7 got new 30-over injectors for $3500 at a diesel performance shop.

It is not a job for the weak.  There is a coolant "cup" that likes to come out with the injector requiring replacement.  They are under the valve covers and a bit of a pain.  To give you an idea of the involvement, many shops prefer to lift the entire cab off the frame because that takes less time than leaning over the fenders to do the job.

Once repaired, the LB7 is my second-favorite engine on the planet.  Second only to the LLY/LBZ.  Dad's LB7 with the bigger injectors, 5-position chip, intake, and exhaust puts almost 950 lb-ft to the rear wheels.  The first time I drove it after the mods, I was going down a highway entrance ramp at 60.  I stabbed the throttle and got sideways.  At 60.  In a 4x4.  That thing truly pins you to the seat.

Expect 400k with nothing more than regular maintenance.

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/17/20 10:22 a.m.
secretariata said:

In reply to codrus :

Driving it home requires a "volunteer" to help out. Sadly, In the past 9 months I have discovered how unreliable or useless most of my "buddies" are & how difficult it is to do some things by yourself...

I'd be your car buddy but I don't think we're nearby each other. 

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/17/20 1:55 p.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

That's what I was afraid of...trailer too tiny, but U-haul's website would let me rent a 15' truck and what appears to be the same trailer for the purposes of towing a 3/4 ton extended cab pickup which had me confused.  They wouldn't give me the option to rent the trailer with the combo of the Tahoe & the truck no matter which one was towing and which one was on the trailer, so that made me wonder.

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/17/20 1:56 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Not that bad without yet having seen it in person and negotiated a really good price...

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/17/20 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Thanks Stampie!  You are correct, I'm in SC. :(

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/17/20 2:00 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 :

Yeah, I'm thinking stock is fine for my needs.  950 lb-ft...I do not have the required self control!

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/17/20 2:02 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

That is an idea that escaped me.  Thanks John!

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
1/17/20 2:05 p.m.

Crap, just checked the list of Craig to try and arrange to see it in the morning and the ad has been deleted...

Oh well, thanks for playing along everybody!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CzzCid14VeRSCDOjJtVcETb2G3mTabyUSrC8HnayxAwogwT66UGyLczzimTMEl0I