1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/22 9:49 a.m.
feature_image

ICYMI: An all-new Nissan Z is headed our way, with the new one getting twin-turbo power. We can’t yet discuss the price or driving impressions, but everything else is fair game.

So, what questions do we have, and what do we think about it?

Is it a worthy successor to the original? A valid …

Read the rest of the story

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
5/2/22 10:41 a.m.

It's got a lot of pluses to it. Pretty good looks, Proper transmission, looks like a pretty good interior layout. Plus a pretty good power plant. 

Maybe I'm getting old but I don't see that being much more fun than my BRZ though. I guess I mean is it worth another 15-18K at least than what I paid for my car. I'm sure it's a lot more luxurious and has a lot more power but I'll be honest, I've not walked away from time behind the wheel of my BRZ and said man, I need another 150 HP. I know different class of sports car but I can already get in enough trouble with what I have already. 

It's great to have options though and I'm very happy this exists. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/2/22 10:44 a.m.

I like how it looks, but I'm not sure a dash gauge for 'turbo speed' is very useful.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/2/22 10:46 a.m.

The exterior isn't bad, but I think the sharp edges on the front clash with the otherwise smooth rounded body. At least that's how it appears in pics to me. 

I certainly don't hate it though, and it's better than the 350z, but I'm not sure it's an improvement appearance-wise over the 370z. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/2/22 10:59 a.m.

I think it looks a lot better than the 350 or the 370.

On a different note; I see they had you driving down one of our driving roads.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/2/22 10:59 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

"Turbo boost" isn't all that useful either, but it's still fun.

The front quarter shot is so clean it looks like either a show car or a highly modified custom from early in the century. The rear quarter looks like someone used the taillight and rear garnish assembly from a 300Z as part of that custom. 

That is one seriously packed engine bay.

The various Zs have never done anything for me over the years. They just don't touch me. But I hope it's a success because it's an interesting car and we need interesting cars. I suspect it will be very good for the body styling industry.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
5/2/22 11:06 a.m.

As a previous owner of a 350Z track I hope it's exciting.  The 350Z was always just enough.  It was fast enough, it drove nice enough, it was cheap enough, the interior was quality enough  It just was never super exciting.  

It didn't have personality or engagement like a Miata, nor did it feel special.  I liked it but it's no longer in the garage.   I really hope the new one just has that enough extra to be exciting and engaging.  Because it was never about bad performance, as a performance car the 350/370 are plenty.  

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/2/22 11:12 a.m.

I've been studying them since the G35 is blown up. 

The Nismo Tech 370 is tempting me as well, but the Z is going to have more HP and "Turbo Speed."

rocket snail | Funny gif, Snail, Animation

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
5/2/22 11:19 a.m.

Those gauges are there for the sole purpose of being replaced with something useful. Or ignored by non-enthusiast who just want a race car.

Glad to see they finally upgraded to technology in the interior and added all this:

which seems to put it on par with its direct competitors. Finally. 

That front clip makes it a hard "no" for me, though. I don't know what focus group they ran that by but ugh. Id be surprised if it survived to the 2nd iteration.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/22 11:59 a.m.

And some historical context for the nose:

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/2/22 12:07 p.m.

Turbo speed is highly unlikely to be a measured parameter (boost certainly is), but an ECM signal based on a model.  Most OEM ECM software uses this signal as a limit to avoid overspeeding the turbo, not so much as a displayable parameter.  This is very unique, but not so useful as mentioned.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
5/2/22 12:17 p.m.

Best looking Z car since the 260. I really like the front end treatment. Not the kind of car I drive, but I would think about it, if I were in the market.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/2/22 12:27 p.m.

I dig it. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/2/22 12:29 p.m.

I like it, too bad I won't be able to afford it.

The tubo speed guage is silly, something more useful should live there. Too many nanny controls, but that's just the way modern cars are. Hope they are easy to turn off.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
5/2/22 1:12 p.m.

Ive never heard of a turbo speed guage until right now. 

Car looks great, would love to have one. 

nash300z
nash300z New Reader
5/2/22 1:34 p.m.

I love it, definitely considering one.  I think they did a great job on styling (especially with some of the alternate two-opening front bumper options I've seen), but the lights and body lines are fantastic.  A twin turbo V6 and a 6-speed!! I hope it's a huge success for them. 

jkstill
jkstill New Reader
5/2/22 1:36 p.m.

Interesting that there is a gauge for turbo speed.  This is a common option on aftermarket ECUs.

ModularCal
ModularCal New Reader
5/2/22 1:57 p.m.

I like the way it looks, the TT V6 and I will probably like the way it drives (I liked the 370). I'm not a fan of a screen as a guage, mainly for looks. Analog guages look good (subjective) even while the car is off and they seem to age well. A screen may start to look outdated after a bit. Then again, maybe their design is getting to a point where it won't. My main dislike is I would have to get the "Performance" trim for a limited slip but that also adds a heavier stereo (the last I heard) with leather, etc., which probably comes a big jump in price. Maybe it can be added as a separate dealer option?

Either way, I like it a lot. I'm looking at getting a new car within a year it's still on my radar with a few other fun cars. Hopefully dealer markups don't price it out of reach for me. Unfortunately, that may be the deciding factor in the end.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
5/2/22 2:02 p.m.

Nissan showed off a 400Z with different front and rear treatments at the Tokyo Auto Salon a while back. I really wish this was the standard version, I like the lines a lot better. Hopefully it's at least a NISMO option or something.

Stripe package for the new Z | 2023+ Nissan Z Forum, Community, Owners,  News, Discussions (RZ34)

blacksheep
blacksheep New Reader
5/2/22 2:10 p.m.

Success will depend on pricing but I suspect that I'd like the styling a lot more if the A-pillars, roof sides and buttresses were body color? Leave only the panel between the windshield and back glass in black ... Wish I had the time to try it in Photoshop

Edit: just saw the orange car above, I agree the front bumper is way better. Also the body-colored line going up the buttress and above the side window is half way to what I suggested and already improves the style IMO. Now just do the A-pillar PLEASE laugh

jb229
jb229 New Reader
5/2/22 2:11 p.m.

I like it, as was said it definitely seems aimed at the BRZ/GR86/FRS crowd that complains about the bhp and the luxuries.  Hopefully the driving dynamics are good and it makes a solid replacement for what may be one of the longest lived car designs still going in the 350/370.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/2/22 2:16 p.m.

I find this car way more appealing than the 350 or 370 by a lot.  And Nissan gives the option of being more involved with shifting too!  I like the subtle styling more than 'Yota's in your face design too.  And it's not a BMW in disguise.  

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike HalfDork
5/2/22 2:18 p.m.

I agree with pointofdeparture.  That is exactly the nose it should have. 

David, I have to disagree with the "historical" precedent you show.  That Z looks like it has had the bumper removed that breaks up the opening.  This has been a common sun lately by all of the manufacturers and started by Audi. Getting rid of the dividing line between the above and below bumper grills to make a gaping maw has just taken so much character and distinctiveness out of the front ends.  Everything looks like a giant gasping fish mouth.  Hell, even Chevy had to backtrack on the current Camaro when they tried to go maw on it only to have to reintroduce the body color divider the next year.  

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
5/2/22 2:18 p.m.

I want to like it and, in the context of what's out there, I do. It would be easier to like if the roof/pillars matched the body color. Blind spot visibility looks crummy, but we'll have to hear from someone with butt-in-seat perspective. You're probably not supposed to head check, though. I don't like the touchscreen and just 2 knobs and the turbo RPM gauge is just weird. The center console looks bleh and the engine bay is a nightmare. 

I like the styling and the seats and the wheel. Overall, I would take it over a Mustang (crossover or real) or Camaro if I were in the market. Then again, I just looked at the door sticker and my wallet ran screaming at the thought of buying wheels or tires. Would still take over most of the market if I had to pick something new. Might cross-shop it with a 2-door Bronco in that hypothetical, I appreciate the plain exterior styling of the LuxoBronc and interior cargo area. Either one is computer controlled so not much difference there. Hypothetically, it may come down to a test drive. 

thashane
thashane Reader
5/2/22 2:38 p.m.

can you fit 4 wheels/ tires in the back? 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cc4SmPVBDlo33kV6TbQKiPvVJ6wwfn9mGTGmEskX7UxDklgN5j5cJDNVZogjNBs1