1 2 3
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
11/16/22 11:42 a.m.

Toyota revealed their new Toyota Prius, available spring 2023.

The company says it has "front hammerhead shark-like design."

Your thoughts?

Note: More info here, on their Japanese site: HYBRID REBORN NEW PRIUS | Toyota Motor Corporation Website

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/16/22 11:43 a.m.

I like that the Prime and regular one has a lot more power, however, was hoping for a LOT more MPG. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/16/22 11:46 a.m.

I'd like to see it in person before placing too much judgment. I've noticed a lot of recent cars look much different in person than in photography.

Can't really complain about getting more power, though.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
11/16/22 11:49 a.m.

I think it looks pretty cool.  The front is giving me strange Lambo SUV vibes but in a good way.  

If we get the 220HP Plug in one..  I may need to go drive one to find out if its even remotely tolerably sporty as a DD.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/16/22 11:50 a.m.

If thats what really lands in the showroom, good for them. Its the first Pruis thats not ugly. 

J.A. Ackley
11/16/22 11:51 a.m.
Colin Wood said:

I'd like to see it in person before placing too much judgment. I've noticed a lot of recent cars look much different in person than in photography.

Can't really complain about getting more power, though.

It does appear a tad different in-person. I'd use words like "bold" and "aggressive," at least when compared to previous generations of Prius.

J.A. Ackley
11/16/22 11:53 a.m.
nocones said:

I think it looks pretty cool.  The front is giving me strange Lambo SUV vibes but in a good way.  

If we get the 220HP Plug in one..  I may need to go drive one to find out if its even remotely tolerably sporty as a DD.

FYI: PHEV, "achieving 0-100 km/h (or roughly to 62 mph) in 6.7 seconds*"
* That's a development target.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/16/22 11:59 a.m.

It looks like the designers actually saw a Prius in person before they started, instead of someone describing an Integra over the phone.

I'm excited, it looks great, and it should accelerate more in line with the expectations of modern driving.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
11/16/22 12:02 p.m.

I have to say I truly like it.  I didn't like the first few generations, the last one was meh.  This one I actually think is nice.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
11/16/22 12:07 p.m.

I like it too. There is a lot of similar design language shared with the Supra, which I think is a good thing. Especially features like this:

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
11/16/22 12:11 p.m.

I really like how it looks, even the color. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/16/22 12:12 p.m.

I dig it. The current lineup looks like the Brain bug from Starship Troopers.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
11/16/22 12:13 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

I like it too. There is a lot of similar design language shared with the Supra, which I think is a good thing. Especially features like this:

Rear side view is a twin to my Mirais. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/16/22 12:14 p.m.

Holy cow, a good looking and quick Prius? What is happening here?!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo PowerDork
11/16/22 12:26 p.m.

I see a lot of similarity with the new-ish Venza front end:

but in a "move the language forward"... "good way".

I'd be curious to know if the prius has a TCS-off button... and how well it works when removed.  Those specs, might be a good match for my needs.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/16/22 12:35 p.m.

I like it alot.  I never had the same thought about any other generation Prius.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
11/16/22 1:00 p.m.

Much better!

Powar
Powar UltraDork
11/16/22 1:28 p.m.

I like it a lot. The current model is hideous. This could very well end up being the replacement for our high mileage 2010 Prius.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/16/22 2:05 p.m.

Much like.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/16/22 3:50 p.m.

In addition to 0-60 performance, the increase in EV range to 37ish miles is significant, as if someone has an employer with EV charging available, it means most people would be able to commute almost entirely in EV mode, or at least burn less than a gallon a day. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/16/22 4:08 p.m.

I honestly can't believe that that a Prius looks this good. Kudos, Toyota.

Erich
Erich UberDork
11/16/22 4:18 p.m.

The range for the plug in version is pretty good, and it definitely looks sharp. I'll be curious to see what the price will be, if it gets cut at all from the current $28k, given that it probably won't qualify for any US tax incentives. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/16/22 4:21 p.m.

Wow, I actually like it.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
11/16/22 4:51 p.m.

Will Toyota figure out a way to build it in the USA  and send the ICE motor and EV parts from Japan ?

How much has to be made in USA to qualify for the rebate ?

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/16/22 4:53 p.m.

I dig the color.

I really want to see somebody (toyota maybe?) have a car not designed, purley engineered. Give me a 5 door, like the prius, but with all aesthetics dictated by aerodynamics and crash structures, etc.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w3nWDuJqmpB0797GS66hA01Fa0SBGjhRK1ohLQROpgAWkwtP3dSYgdQWwAcM2J1X