1 2
Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/11/11 10:34 a.m.
Buzz Killington wrote: give me RWD with snows over AWD on all-seasons any time.

CERTAINLY!

At least the RWD car will be able to brake.

It is one of my biggest gripes about subaru owners. They will say something like "man, on all seasons I dont ever get stuck!"

Well sure, but you can't brake for E36 M3 on them. Just because you don't get stuck doesn't mean it's safe. FWD/RWD cars get stuck when they have dangerous tires. If they don't get stuck, they don't have dangerous tires! (Unless we're talking chains... hooboy)

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
8/11/11 11:01 a.m.
Taiden wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote: give me RWD with snows over AWD on all-seasons any time.
CERTAINLY! At least the RWD car will be able to brake. It is one of my biggest gripes about subaru owners. They will say something like "man, on all seasons I dont ever get stuck!" Well sure, but you can't brake for E36 M3 on them. Just because you don't get stuck doesn't mean it's safe. FWD/RWD cars get stuck when they have dangerous tires. If they don't get stuck, they don't have dangerous tires! (Unless we're talking chains... hooboy)

Exactly. Going isn't the important bit for winter driving, turning and stopping are. Since you can't turn and go at the same time with FWD, I prefer RWD. I have seen too many FWD cars drive into ditches going uphill around a turn.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
8/11/11 11:05 a.m.

BFG All-Terrain T/As are "severe weather" rated. They're a little wide on the Cruiser to be super-effective, but they work well enough.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/11/11 11:22 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Exactly. Going isn't the important bit for winter driving, turning and stopping are. Since you can't turn and go at the same time with FWD, I prefer RWD. I have seen too many FWD cars drive into ditches going uphill around a turn.

If you know what you are doing.. you can turn and go in a FWD car. It's a matter of being prepared and then using the power (and grip) of the fwd platform to pull you through the turn.

You can also left foot the brake while applying power to lock the rear wheel wheels to help

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
8/11/11 11:26 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: You can also left foot the brake while applying power to lock the rear wheel wheels to help

LFB is about control of weight transfer of a vehicle, it will not save you if the front is already understeering on a surface as slippery as snow or ice. It WILL help you prevent this situation from arising though.

FWD, rwd, awd, get snow tires, even the CHEAPEST snow tires are better than the best all seasons in winter. It all comes down to the rubber compound. All seasons turn into rocks, winters stay soft.

And when I mean winter, I mean 8 to 10 foot high snow banks on the sides of the roads from plows and -30C weather, not a couple of inches and -10C weather

oldtin
oldtin Dork
8/11/11 11:35 a.m.

As much salt and plows that are out around chicago and the burbs, the saab looks like a decent choice/price point and kinda entertaining. I only needed the wrangler for about 2 days this past winter when the plows got overwhelmed - most everyone else stayed home. We don't get that option at the hospital.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
8/11/11 1:32 p.m.

Well, I'm not exactly in the Frozen North, but I am looking for an XJ of my very own. You simply can't beat the prices and "roll it off a cliff and it'll still run" factor of them. Although the Saturn does well enough with snow tires, cleaning snow out of the engine bay and high-centering it on drifts every so often is getting old. 4" lift, knobby tires, and skidplates on an XJ for me!

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
8/11/11 5:43 p.m.

Having driven FWD cars for more years than I care to count. When I hear of some one going of nose first because they are spinning. I chuckle. Hey dummy, let up on the throttle. I have seen AWD/4 wheel drive do the samething. RWD cars back in.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
8/11/11 6:16 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

The Saab's heated seats and turbo power are calling to me certainly. I just don't know much about them and am slightly wary.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/11/11 6:19 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Having driven FWD cars for more years than I care to count. When I hear of some one going of nose first because they are spinning. I chuckle. Hey dummy, let up on the throttle. I have seen AWD/4 wheel drive do the samething. RWD cars back in.

I agree.. when I had my Hyundai excel.. I could PASS AWD cars and 4X4s in the snow...

evets
evets None
8/11/11 7:11 p.m.

Easy, in Wisconsin winters its my 2009 Jeep Wrangler!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit Dork
8/11/11 7:48 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke: There are quite a few SAAB naysayers on here but if the car has been cared for it should be good. I have 145K on my 03 9-5 and have only had to replace two plastic window rollers so far.

Check for sludge in the motor, if there is none you should be good. If you do get it there are a few things you should do to it but mine really has been a good car.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/11/11 7:50 p.m.

Plus many Saabs have that really cool 4 wheel e-brake brake, dont they?

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
8/11/11 8:27 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: seems like a waste of money to have two cars just to get you back and forth based on the weather outside.

blasphemy! we have like 85 cars to drive based on different criteria. or more like 10 or so, but i think sometimes i just make up new criteria just to buy another toy.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
8/11/11 8:57 p.m.

I drive my MS3 with snow tires on it during winter. It has tons of grip and handles fine. It is also very easy to recover if it slips a little.

At some point in the future, I want to get an old pickup for winter beater/housework duty. I'm thinking of getting a RWD car next to replace the MS3. I'm not afraid of driving a RWD car in the snow (BTDT with my old S13), but the ocean's worth of salt Mass. puts down every winter takes a toll on the sheetmetal and suspension bits.

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
8/11/11 9:06 p.m.

'00 Sable wagon with blizzak's.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
8/11/11 9:18 p.m.

A 300 hp Subaru Legacy with studded snow tires

Why just kill it when you can overkill it?

Sonic
Sonic Dork
8/11/11 9:19 p.m.

99 Land Rover DiscoveryII

It has 4WD, snow tires, locking diff, 4 wheel traction control, and a whole bunch of ground clearance. It can get through anything, though the snow tires aren't really agressive, so it does better in the lighter snows than the really deep stuff as the tires don't paddle it out of the way fast enough. I live in PA though, so we frequently have light snow or ice, and less often any significant accumulation.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
8/11/11 10:17 p.m.

The MCS does just fine in Canada with snows. Need a new set this year, should be even better.

CanadianTercel
CanadianTercel Reader
8/13/11 2:51 a.m.

my 91 tercel with 155/80/13 mich x-ice has been an absolute killer in the nasty winters here in niagara falls.. Much more confidence inspiring than the 92 legacy GT turbo i had. this past winter, but that was fun to wag the tail like a happy labrador.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
8/13/11 8:44 a.m.

We have an 02 9^5 in the northern suburbs. Awesome car in the snow, although the tires we have on it now leave a lot to be desired. If you are careful with it (i.e. don't go over speed bumps without slowing, like my brother) it is decently reliable. But not something I would trust to my mother.

Clutchsmoke, you have PM.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/13/11 9:26 a.m.
Taiden wrote: Plus many Saabs have that really cool 4 wheel e-brake brake, dont they?

nope.. early 87 and before had front wheel e-brakes. the 88 and later had it one the rear wheels.

I guess you COULD come up with a 4 wheel e-brake if you wanted to.. but you would have to run early rims on the front and later on the rear... and then cobble together a proper handbrake to work all 4 cables

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cZitRe3txaNLqMePbjRAUMSXwFlE4z7xPDJ3O0ICThX7ikZOJksFB55r67l4C97l