1 2
untchabl
untchabl Reader
2/2/19 8:04 p.m.

Looking for options/opinions/insight on doing an engine swap in my 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege project. Current drivetrain in the MSP is of unknown condition, I bought it not running with a supposedly blown head gasket. The factory engine and transmission are known to be weak so I'm considering other options. 

Wanting suggestions of other realistic drivetrain swaps. Currently considering a K-swap, since I could buy a complete donor RSX or similar to get engine/trans/wiring harness/etc. What are my other options? Not looking for crazy suggestions like LS swap or AWD conversion, just a regular front wheel drive 4 cylinder. Overall performance is important, it's not going to be a DD, just a fun weekend car. My county no longer does obd-2 inspections.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
2/2/19 8:16 p.m.

Its not the most current swap, but the tried and true 2.5L KL V6 will fit in the nose of a Protege.  I think it has been done a few times before.

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
2/2/19 9:08 p.m.

Turbo BP swap.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
2/2/19 9:34 p.m.

Yeah I'd be considering a KL ZE from Japan, or even a built KLDE would be good.

A turbo BP would be nice too. 

I don't like what I hear about K24 oil consumption issues, but I realize I am in the minority about being squeamish about them.

How bad is the current engine? I would also be looking into how to make the current setup more robust.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/2/19 10:26 p.m.

Do not put honda in that. Please. Bp-t is my choice. 

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
2/2/19 10:56 p.m.

What? No "F2T ALL THE THINGS!" replies?

sergio
sergio Reader
2/2/19 11:28 p.m.

Will a Speed3 drivetrain fit?

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
2/3/19 12:20 a.m.

VQ35 from an Altima or Maxima!

235whp with matching torque is about the starting point using a stock Altima computer, 260+whp with an UpRev tune, and 285whp+ if you get a "FWD HR" from 07+ Altima/09+ Max.

Junkyards are littered with them. I bought my wrecked 03 Altima donor car for $475 CAD and sold the shell to the recyclers for $225 after I was done taking everything I needed.

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
2/3/19 7:40 a.m.

Curious to see what you do here.  The MSP is truly a car in search of a engine.  It felt like driving a 4 door Miata.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/3/19 7:42 a.m.
sergio said:

Will a Speed3 drivetrain fit?

This.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
2/3/19 8:21 a.m.
ccrelan said:

Curious to see what you do here.  The MSP is truly a car in search of a engine.  It felt like driving a 4 door Miata.

An autocross friend of mine has a 1.6 five speed protege with some suspension work and some MSP parts. Open diff, good tires.

He's really fast in that car. I'll concede that he's a good driver, but I can't imagine what he could do with a substantial power increase.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/3/19 11:07 a.m.

I'd do a KLZE. The only reason people don't like the MSP engine is because it breaks. Naturally aspirated KLZE makes more power than stock MSP and won't break. Also a sound upgrade. 

untchabl
untchabl Reader
2/3/19 11:15 a.m.

What are the transmission options with the KLZE and BP-T? The stock transmission is pretty fragile in the MSP so I'd like to get a stronger transmission with whatever engine swap I do.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/3/19 11:26 a.m.

I think that the first fwd Mazda manual transmission that isn't so easily broken is the unit in the 3's. Everything before that is some G-series derivative that just aren't that strong. 

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
2/3/19 11:40 a.m.

BP+T and since you're getting a cheap motor, drop the coin on a PAR dogbox. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/3/19 12:06 p.m.

Stock KLZE torque is not going to break anything in the absence of wheelhop and E36 M3ty shifting. 

untchabl
untchabl Reader
2/3/19 5:49 p.m.

How about a supercharged or turbo Ecotec?

Eric Kilber
Eric Kilber None
2/3/19 9:22 p.m.

If you want to keep it mazda

Turbo an FE3 from a Kia sportage

F2T plenty of torque but the stroke means it probably wont rev really high

untchabl
untchabl Reader
3/28/19 5:34 p.m.

So I've still been thinking about possible engine swaps for my MSP. However, there is a part of me that really wants to keep a Mazda engine in the car. So what's the pros/cons of an engine & trans swap from a Speed3? What kind of issues am I looking at as far as fuel system goes because the Speed3 is a DI engine? I would buy a complete wrecked Speed3 from insurance auction so I would have a complete donor car to get parts from.

Is there some major gotcha or issue that I'm overlooking?

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
3/28/19 6:12 p.m.

Pros is it has an aftermarket. Cons is it has a powerband optimized for a truck until you modify it and they have been known to blow up in near-stock trim due to a combination of inadequate fueling and boost spikes. I honestly wouldn't go through the trouble unless this somehow costs you way less than upgrading the MSP motor, or you're going somewhere the stock motor/trans can't easily go, like 500hp.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
3/28/19 7:00 p.m.

Miller-cycle engine from a Millenia???

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
3/28/19 7:25 p.m.

It seems like nobody really tried to fix the motor in these.  Like a good set of aftermarket rods, pistons, and a lightened / rebalanced crank.  I always thought that was odd.  The bones of the engine scream "average 90's Japanese four cylinder" so there should be something to work with there, right?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/28/19 7:28 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Miller-cycle engine from a Millenia???

Stillborn fetuses of doom. Cool as heck, but finicky as typical small batch mazda and mostly made of unobtanium

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/28/19 7:30 p.m.
Vigo said:

Pros is it has an aftermarket. Cons is it has a powerband optimized for a truck until you modify it and they have been known to blow up in near-stock trim due to a combination of inadequate fueling and boost spikes. I honestly wouldn't go through the trouble unless this somehow costs you way less than upgrading the MSP motor, or you're going somewhere the stock motor/trans can't easily go, like 500hp.

The g trans in the MSP is stupid fragile, and the fsde.....

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
3/28/19 7:44 p.m.

Speaking of transmissions. If you won't be using the limited slip from the MSP unit, I'll purchase the transmission to raid it for the factory limited slip. Let me know. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jfhq4RilYXCjIJtep730fY2YCncH8A7utaMPiAo2PF9zDizyguocNoAXvXtLsHNo