1 2 3 4
philacarguy
philacarguy New Reader
6/22/22 2:21 p.m.

I have an Ingersoll Rand 1/2" drive, 20V battery powered impact wrench (W7000).  Indispensable at the track for changing wheels.  I kept borrowing a friend's and finally broke down and bought one.  Another friend bought his own after using mine and has thanked me ever since.  

I used to use the classic air powered IR wrench in the home garage, but this is just easier.

Don't cheap out and buy an inferior one - not enough power.  You get what you pay for.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/22/22 2:24 p.m.

In reply to evildky :

Seconded. I've used the 1/4 on impact so much, the cordless drill that came with it only gets used with drill bits.

Dremel tool. There are just some things that require finesse that a drill onmr grinder just don't have. If you do anything hobby related, models, RC, trains, its indespensible.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
6/22/22 2:30 p.m.
Bkennedyjr123 said:

Hands down Kinipex Cobra pliers 

This.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/22/22 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

Snap On wrenches and sockets.  They fit the bolts and nuts better, they fit your hands nicer. They clean up easier.  

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
6/22/22 2:49 p.m.
No Time said:

Not super expensive, but so much easier than pliers. I finally gave in and spent the $40 on a set yesterday to replace the lower hose on the 98 Ram. 

I wish I could thumbs up this more than once. These things are a game changer. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
6/22/22 2:51 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

What is it?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
6/22/22 2:57 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Remote spring clamp pliers. You hook the free end on the tabs of a spring clamp and then squeeze the pliers to lock the clamp open, push the little red lever to release.

I have a set, they are absolutely necessary if you own a NC Miata.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/22/22 3:04 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

ARrotard
ARrotard New Reader
6/22/22 3:07 p.m.

*Snap-On screwdrivers

*Snap-On semi-deep sockets,, the perfect depth

*A quality 1/4 ratchet , a friend of mine turned me on to the idea that so many things I was doing with a 3/8 wrench could easily be done with a 1/4in, saves space and less chance of over tightening. 

madmrak351
madmrak351 Reader
6/22/22 3:13 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Good torque wrench. You're using one for a reason, you can't afford a bad one. 

Absolutely number one on the list. Rebuilt a 327 SBC using  my dad’s torque wrench. He was a professional mechanic. Felt a main cap bolt go “soft” I was nearly afraid to pull it back out. Got lucky and the bolt stretched instead of pulling the threads out of the block. I was 19 then. Got a Snap-On torque wrench and a new set of main cap bolts. Lesson learned!! If your torque wrench has some age on it have the calibration checked or replace it with a quality unit.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
6/22/22 3:40 p.m.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/22/22 4:07 p.m.

I came here to say lift, but it's been said, so I'll go with an enclosed trailer instead. :)

Portable garage to keep the race car out of the elements, storage for all your tools and tires, shade at the track, and if you bring a generator you can even mount AC on the roof.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/22/22 4:09 p.m.

I almost forgot about the Christmas present I got this past year. A Bolt Buster inductive heater, never out of gas and works in areas I wouldn't think of using a torch. 

GeddesB
GeddesB Reader
6/22/22 4:31 p.m.
robismyname
robismyname
6/22/22 4:31 p.m.

Battery operated whatever... impact gun, screw driver, sawzall ... I'm still old school and have a compressor and related but dang the battery operated stuff is so much easier, and quieter! $500 may seem like a lot of a set but its worth it. 

charlesl
charlesl New Reader
6/22/22 4:57 p.m.

If you work on older Mercedes diesels then you need a set of valve adjuster wrenches. Not too expensive but irreplaceable. I tossed (or let my sister sell as part of estate sale) a set when I went through my late dad's tools. I forgot what they were for until I needed them.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
6/22/22 5:27 p.m.

In reply to charlesl :

We made a set using cheap-0 renches. Not as much fun as using real ones.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/22/22 5:51 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

It's magical. 

Some talk about the synthetic clay pad here:

nmdouglas
nmdouglas New Reader
6/22/22 5:52 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Couldn't agree more. Spent 40 years lying on my back jacking cars up and down, jack stands etc etc. Finally got a 2 post lift and what a difference in frustration levels and willingness to start a job. Expensive and takes up a lot of room but worth every penny and square foot.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/22/22 5:59 p.m.

I am fascinated that people think $80 tools are expensive smiley

There is a kind of inverse usefulness with tools though.  My $1100 thermal camera sees less use than my $200 Pico scope. (which does need like $700 in accessories to be useful, but still cheaper than a $5000 setup from Bosch)

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/22/22 6:29 p.m.

My new M18 Milwaukee...... mower.  I can post photos when I am back in town.  It was pricey, but it was as advertised.  Kiddo is 8 and she was helping mow the lawn with it.

Folgers
Folgers Reader
6/22/22 6:36 p.m.

Frlf80a Snapon, 3/8 drive, flex head, quick release ratchet. And quality Snapon wrenches.

When it’s 100 degrees out, your standing waist high in a E36 M3 pit, and the guy next to you is an shiny happy person, I  take solace in the fact that at least my wrench doesn’t suck.

Power tools are great, diagnostic tools are wonderful, but my ratchets will be buried with me. 

Further eloquence escapes me, but they are worth it. 

burdickjp
burdickjp Reader
6/22/22 6:47 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

Gear Wrench cross force ratchet wrenches.

I grabbed an entire set of cross force wrenches in ratcheting and not ratcheting, took all of the rest of my wrenches and threw them in a bag. I effin' love them. If I could fix one thing it would be to have 6-pointed box ends instead of 12.

Nomad
Nomad Reader
6/22/22 7:09 p.m.

In reply to No Time :

I was going to post this very thing. When you need it, it's the best way to take pipe clamps off, makes the job nearly fun

And I just taught my son how to clay bar with a bar I've had for about 12 years. (1/2 still new)

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/22/22 7:13 p.m.

Snap On flare nut wrenches. Nothing else is near as good. I can't overstate how superior these are to everything else.

Astro Pneumatic "big nasty" model air hammer.  Frame rivets take about 4 seconds to remove with one. 

MasterCool flare tool. It does way more than just flares, ie. quick connect fittings. I have never made a bad flare since I got mine. Not once.

Knipex pliers (of any variety)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YKDUbzPxCndsvFemikF1I5OQJ7WjXoulg5ZKvPn3ZxPJ1tP48xjYAX255Vy9cUiI