1 2
stroker
stroker UltraDork
10/22/18 7:48 p.m.

I'm in the process of finishing an engine swap in my Sidekick which is identical save the automatic instead of the manual.  I'll be interested to see what a difference the 2.3 liter Aerio engine makes.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/22/18 9:58 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

That would be a cool project!

stroker
stroker UltraDork
10/23/18 8:45 a.m.

I need to find a wrecked Sidekick Sport with a manual transmission.   That 2.3 hooked up to a manual might make an interesting drivetrain for something like a Spitfire/MG/Locost. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/30/18 1:28 p.m.

A day or two on the trickle charger and the battery held a charge. I tried to start it but the starter didn't even click, but I noticed the clutch pedal was very firm and had little travel. So I contorted myself into position so I could manually press the clutch interlock switch and turn the key at the same time. After triple checking that the Sidekick was in neutral, I cranked .. and cranked .. and sputter crank and it runs! It had a little tick at first but that quieted down once oil pressure built. It idled well and ran smoothly.

I checked the clutch out and it's leaked all the hydraulic fluid out - the master cylinder is bone dry. That's certainly what sidelined the car. I think the clutch is super firm because the cylinder in the master cylinder likely got caught on something or bound up once there was no fluid in it. I imagine it would make sense to do the master, slave, and any rubber lines since everything's been dry for a bit.

The interior is actually quite nice. There's one open seam in the driver's seat that could really be repaired without even removing the cover if you didn't care about visible stitches - which I wouldn't. There's one small hole in the driver's floor carpet that would be covered by a floor mat. The seats are very clean but the carpet needs a good cleaning. Overall it's very presentable.

I couldn't get the rear (cargo) door open. It feels like it's locked and the key wouldn't turn in the lock. I need to put some good lube in there and see if it helps. It's low on coolant in the overflow but the radiator is full. Overall it's quite nice, actually amazing for the price. I haven't crawled under it yet to check the undercarriage out for rust.

I'll do a pic dump in the next post since you guys are all about the shiny pictures.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/30/18 1:32 p.m.

Yes the hood closes right - I had the trickle charger under the hood while taking these photos.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/2/18 1:34 p.m.

The underside isn't as rust free as the top but it's great for the age and being an Ohio car. I only found rust through on the gas tank skid plate mount - and it's a pretty wimpy skid plate anyway. The frame rails and floor pans are solid. There's some scabby stuff at the extreme front and rear of the truck, just behind the bumpers. The metal is still there and solid but the edges are a bit ugly. Some wire wheel time and POR15 should get that safe from father time. I'll do another pic dump in the next post about it.

I haven't done anything else since charging the battery and getting it started; I need to clean up my lift bay so I can pull it in and check it out! But it might be leaving before that, we'll see. I've decided I have too much on my plate for even the sideXsidekick.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/2/18 1:37 p.m.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
11/2/18 1:58 p.m.

Looks like an average old Michigan vehicle, I really like these.  Too bad my boys aren't quite old enough to start their first car project or I would be offering to take it from you.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/28/18 10:45 p.m.

Well, I've spent three solid evenings trying to get the clutch hydraulics working on this thing and it's still no bueno. I'm giving up. I need to get my lift bay free and I need to move on. It's for sale for sure, at $800 asking, any trades or offers considered. At $800 I will throw in a good set of General snow tires I just got for it, they're on wheels that are wrong for the car but they're the right size. Have them swapped to the wheels on the Sidekick, get the clutch working, and have an unstoppable winter beater.

I did get the tailgate working, and do have a replacement headlight to throw in. I found the passenger side mirror under the driver's seat but there's some broken mounting bits so you might need to buy one. It leaks oil, as evidenced by the engine bay covered in it. It does run but has a good exhaust leak or other noise source.

Let's talk.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/29/18 9:43 p.m.

WOW, well life sure is strange sometimes. Someone that's not a member of the forum happened to see this post and emailed me that he knew exactly what my problem was. Well, the problem with the Suzuki, I have plenty of other problems he has no idea about. Anyway, he said that the lever arm that connects the clutch pedal jack shaft to the master cylinder is a known weak spot on, get this, only the Sidekick Sport. Because the base Sidekick is a cable clutch. Since they didn't sell many Sidekick Sports, there's not a lot of people that know about this flaw. And when the lever arm bends, you get poor clutch engagement and hard shifting because the pedal is not able to fully engage the master cylinder.

All sorts of bells went off in my head - I realized that the master cylinder had been frozen in its bore, and the person that owned this previously is strong, like ex-boxer strong, and when the clutch wouldn't work for her she probably pressed harder .. and harder. Well, wipe my ass and call me Shirley because I stuck my head up under that dash and the clutch lever arm is bent.

And just like that, an angry swarm of bees left my head. I'm going to order a replacement and I am very optimistic that this will get the Sidekick drivable.

But, it's still for sale, and still $800 for you guys. I won't bother bumping this until it's drivable but if anyone wants to go ahead and get it let me know. Crazy trades are still fine.

P.s. Miles, if you're reading this, you are awesome. Thank you thank you THANK YOU. Also, you should join up, your love of unloved orphan vehicles would fit right in here.

P.p.s. Miles told me that the Suzuki Aerio motor is a drop-in, the stock computer even runs it, and the only difference is more power and better fuel mileage. I'm unlikely to do anything with that knowledge, but one of you should. I bet you could score that motor for about $150 and a bag of chips.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/29/18 10:22 p.m.

Hot dam.  That's some useful info! 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/30/18 3:28 p.m.

To put an ending on this thread, the Suzuki left today on the back of a trailer. It did drive itself up on the trailer, and the buyer was someone off Craigslist that seemed familiar with these vehicles and has plans for it. Which is great; hopefully it lives a long useful life.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
12/30/18 5:14 p.m.

dammit, here I go to CL to see about these...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hYRZ4ZkVswnTQquAl6rGGJaRzBdXuAYf147NmTsIHUhJGLw6x0eqiVweuAbDYbuO