2 3 4 5
Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
4/18/17 2:20 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner: The short answer is Yes. Yes indeed. And that does lead to Evil Thoughts, doesn't it?

The only issue I've never seen answered is whether the (slightly) longer wheelbase TCs (or the longer CV taxis) need anything different if you want to upgrade to the PI suspension stuff. Obviously the driveshaft would be an issue (duh), but I'm thinking about springs/shocks/sways: would it all port directly over and work the same on the longer wb?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/18/17 2:47 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: In reply to mad_machine: I'm not sure you're​ very good at this game

nope, I am just cheap and practical.. as practical as one can be when they own a Land Rover, Fiat, Saab, and a sailboat

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/18/17 3:00 p.m.
yupididit wrote: Really though, 12k budget hmmm...Something with an AMG. They go from highway cruiser to highway cruise missile within a few inches of the right foot.

Apparently everyone is all afraid of AMG's lately. Pfffffft, cowards.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
4/18/17 3:47 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
yupididit wrote: Really though, 12k budget hmmm...Something with an AMG. They go from highway cruiser to highway cruise missile within a few inches of the right foot.
Apparently everyone is all afraid of AMG's lately. Pfffffft, cowards.

Tell me about it. I though our threads might help with that a little, but maybe it hurt! Even Joe seems to be afraid of them. For a long trip there is no other place I'd rather be right now than a big Benz with a lot of hp and a huge pile of torque.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
4/18/17 4:32 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

They all turn when they get a taste of big benz goodness.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
4/18/17 4:35 p.m.

There's an E55 I think was on Ebay with over 400k miles on it. I've put 40k on mine with the biggest issues being tires. It does help to have access to a shop with a lift but that's true of anything. Really, truly.. find as new an E55 as you can get hold of and test drive it. Look for a solid maintenance history and see if the SBC's been replaced recently, and if the fuel sender leak hasn't been addressed, plan on taking it to the dealer for warranty fix. Worth the hassle; AMG crack... first hit is free. If nothing else it will make you feel all rational and smart and logical when you go get the Caprice. or anything else cuz these cars are stoopid...

(but my kind of stoopid)

yupididit
yupididit Dork
4/18/17 4:51 p.m.

In reply to Jay_W:

Overpriced, but thats a clean 200k miles. Nothing to fear yall. AMG's do last!

s55

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/18/17 7:31 p.m.

Since noone has said it i'll say GS350/400/430/460. Hell, even 450h if you wanna take your chances.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
4/18/17 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

What about the GS makes them get a vote? I ask because I honestly know nothing about them.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
4/18/17 9:16 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock
4/18/17 9:32 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

The upper end of the possible budget hinges on a whole deck of cards being thrown in the air and coming down in a neatly shuffled pile ready to deal. IE, not very likely. But it never stopped me from daydreaming.

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
4/19/17 1:56 p.m.

I was in the same boat 2 years ago. Did plenty of research, wanted something very comfortable, sporty enough and reliable as a rock:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2007-bmw-550i-vs-infiniti-m45-lexus-gs450h-m-b-e550-comparison-tests

Look at #1: BMW driving fun with Lexus/Toyota reliability. Regularly beat the competition from that era in almost every camparo. Makes an E46 feel like its been put together with plastic clips (I had both at the time). I have also owned a 2004 G35 and this blows it out of the water. If you find one with the sport and tech package that is what will get you ALL the goodies, pretty impressive tech for the year. Bluetooth, adaptive cruise control, 4 wheel steering, adaptive headlights, navigation, heated/AC seats, 14 speaker Bose...etc, etc.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
4/19/17 3:17 p.m.

For the best seats in the car world, my suggestion is 2007+ Volvo S80 V8. It sound good and they are a bargain used.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
4/19/17 5:27 p.m.

In reply to rwdsport:

That's a pretty good endorsement. I've found several in the area that I consider reasonably priced as well. Moved up on the list

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
4/19/17 6:06 p.m.

This is a sad trombone downer of an answer, but I'd rent a car for that trip. Something like a charger or maxima or Taurus or Impala. All will be much better than the Elantra, all will be perfectly reliable, and if not you just find a rental branch and get another. You avoid putting the miles/wear/tear on your own car, and avoid the tax/Reg fees of buying a car just for this trip.

If you are set on buying, look at an LS400, Saab 9-5 (30+mpg I loved mine), or Infiniti M45. While I adore my CLS63 AMG, any big euro car for cheap always has the potential to go very very badly.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
4/19/17 7:03 p.m.

In reply to Sonic:

I understand your point. As strange as it may sound. Selling the wife on a rental car for the trip would be a much harder job than replacing a car I'm not happy with, with a car that just happens to be a much better car for a long trip than her car.

The Civic is going whether or not we end up taking it's replacement on the trip. And my criteria here is the type of car I would want to replace the Civic with even if we end up taking the Elantra.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/19/17 7:05 p.m.

Wait. Are there kids involved in this road trip??? If not you know you want it.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
4/19/17 7:08 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

You know me so well

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/19/17 7:09 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Also helpful if:
You are trying to do what they say can't be done.
You have a long way to go and a short time to get there.
You are east bound.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
4/19/17 7:10 p.m.

Volvo. Seats are superb, and for the highway, RWD/FWD doesn't matter, right?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/19/17 7:11 p.m.

I was asking my wife and her first choice was the "Loooooooove Bug"

I this is why we have been married for so long.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
4/19/17 7:12 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

Wrong, it always matters

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/19/17 7:14 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: In reply to dean1484: Also helpful if: You are trying to do what they say can't be done. You have a long way to go and a short time to get there. You are east bound.

ROFL. Seriously in tears laughing now.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/19/17 7:18 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Thanks. I'll be here all weekend.
Tip your waiters and waitresses.
Try the veal.

ggarrard
ggarrard Reader
4/21/17 4:03 p.m.

How about this fine example.... Found via Dailyturismo