1 2
snipes
snipes Reader
1/19/10 8:42 a.m.

So I am sure a bunch of you guys own cars from dead manufacturers. As a classic Saab guy what can I expect as far as parts and value? Thanks

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
1/19/10 9:04 a.m.

Have you seen the prices for a Hispano-Suiza, Talbot-Largo or Pierce-Arrow? They are all out of business but still pretty pricey! I am not sure Saab will do as well, perhaps you should hyphenate it to a GM-SAAB.

snipes
snipes Reader
1/19/10 9:38 a.m.

Ya, I am not sure about my 1988 900 ever bringing Pierce-Arrow money. Saabs had little to no resale to start with. I will miss driving my old car to the dealer lot to look at all the new models each year.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
1/19/10 9:58 a.m.

I'm just guessing, but I would think parts would be about the same for your 1988, most of the stuff you use is probably aftermarket brand anyway? It might be different, with, say a 2005 93, but those share alot of epsilon parts, so who knows?

Joey

carzan
carzan Reader
1/19/10 10:41 a.m.

I wouldn't totally write them off just yet:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE60I0PO20100119

kcmoken
kcmoken New Reader
1/19/10 10:52 a.m.

I might suggest looking to Daewoo as the most recent relevant example of a car brand that no longer exists in the U.S. However didn't GM purchase at least the car portion of this company? If so, even though the nameplate doesn't exist maybe parts availability isn't too bad. You sure don't see any on the road though...

TJ
TJ Dork
1/19/10 11:02 a.m.

I can get parts for my Austin Mini without a problem. There are lots of NLA parts, but if you want functionality parts are available.

When I bought my BMW this past summer I found it pleasant to be able to drive to the dealer and talk with the dudes behind the parts counter.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
1/19/10 11:19 a.m.
kcmoken wrote: I might suggest looking to Daewoo as the most recent relevant example of a car brand that no longer exists in the U.S. However didn't GM purchase at least the car portion of this company? If so, even though the nameplate doesn't exist maybe parts availability isn't too bad. You sure don't see any on the road though...

On the other hand, Daewoo hardly existed in the US to begin with, while SAAB has an established fan base. I'd expect it to be more like Triumph than Daewoo.

kcmoken
kcmoken New Reader
1/19/10 11:25 a.m.

Good point on Triumph vs. Daewoo. I certainly never had any problems getting parts for my TR6.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w Dork
1/19/10 11:28 a.m.

I tend not to purchase vehicles from Makes still available in the USA, I like to be different (like everyone else)

TJ
TJ Dork
1/19/10 12:29 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: I like to be different (like everyone else)

Does that mean you like to be the same?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku HalfDork
1/19/10 12:37 p.m.
TJ wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: I like to be different (like everyone else)
Does that mean you like to be the same?

yeah, me too..

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
1/19/10 6:21 p.m.

I dunno, my Saturn's cheap to run.

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
1/19/10 6:38 p.m.
snipes wrote: So I am sure a bunch of you guys own cars from dead manufacturers.....can I expect as far as parts and value?

desirability creates value. My Geo was $175. Read what you want into that.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
1/19/10 6:50 p.m.

Chevy gAyVEO is a daewoo, same with Pontiac G3 (or a Wave as the Canadians call em).

subrew
subrew Reader
1/19/10 6:52 p.m.
snipes wrote: So I am sure a bunch of you guys own cars from dead manufacturers. As a classic Saab guy what can I expect as far as parts and value? Thanks

Unless you are speaking about a 2-stroke or V4 powered Saab you didn't mention, you don't own a "classic" Saab. You own a 22yo car that has been, and will continue to be at the very depths of the its depreciation curve. Maybe in another 20 years, you can start worrying about values, it being a classic etc.

Saabs in general have suffered tremendous depreciation even before the recent bad news. Spend 10 minutes on craigslist in any metropolitan area and see how many 3-5yo Saabs there are for sale. And then remember that most of those cars sold for $30,000 to $40,000. Some were even getting close to $50,000.

I fully expect existing new Saabs to suffer even more.

Chris H

CagleRacing
CagleRacing New Reader
1/19/10 7:00 p.m.

We have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am SC/T and received an offer from GM in the mail today for 4 free oil changes, tire rotations and multi-point inspections during the year. I always take care of vehicle maintenance myself, but I'm giving serious consideration to this free offer.

GM still makes Corvettes, but my 1977 is old enough that it's not well supported by GM. It might as well be a dead company to a 33 year old car. Fortunately, there are plenty of private companies selling nearly every part it should ever need.

blizazer
blizazer New Reader
1/19/10 7:17 p.m.

FYI to the Pontiac owners out there: GM has a promotion to retain Pontiac customers. If you own a 1999 or newer Pont purchased new or 'certified used' from a dealer, then you can call 1-800-276-6842 for coupons for 4 free maintenance visits at your local GMC/Buick dealership, same as what Cagle received.

Sorry Saab guys, I haven't heard of a similar promotion for any other brands yes.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
1/19/10 7:34 p.m.

Pontiac, Plymouth, Oldsmobile. Yes, apparently my used car purchases have the power to kill car companies.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/19/10 8:13 p.m.

I think you'll still be able to get parts and service for your Saab for quite a while, they tend to belong to diehard owners. There's a little one man repair shop around the corner from my house that specializes in 900/9000 Saabs, he's been in business for 10 years or so and it always looks like he has as much business as he can stand.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
1/19/10 8:16 p.m.
subrew wrote: "classic" Saab.

"classic" = 79-93 900, aka c900 (and, sometimes, "original [old] generation," or og900). IOW, not an Opel.

Saab churned out ~900,000 c900s. Parts will continue to be available: Skandix (which sells body panels!) and ScanTech (aka ScanCrap) support c900s, and I've yet to hear of any Bosch parts being NLA (except ECUs). Yes, some stuff is NLA but there are a number of sources for used. The only worrisome issue is gearbox parts: apparently, some synchros are NLA. Layshafts, reverse gears, etc., too.

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
1/19/10 8:59 p.m.

People keep telling me that I should park the GTO and let it appreciate. I may be wrong but I just dont see that car becoming a Bugatti or even a hemi Cuda. It is fun; it is fast and it is rare but most ppl dont know what it is. That really is the part I enjoy.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/19/10 9:10 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Chevy gAyVEO is a daewoo, same with Pontiac G3 (or a Wave as the Canadians call em).

And the suzuki reno and forenza, along with it's SIARPC cousin, the Chevy Lacetti

P71
P71 SuperDork
1/19/10 9:34 p.m.

I like orphans. AMC hasn't existed since 83-84 and I can literally buy more stuff for my Hornet now then when it was new! Parts prices haven't changed for the Pontiac either. I've also owned Ramblers, Eagles, Plymouths, and Datsuns and none of them were ever hard to get parts for.

As for value, it depends. AMC's were worthless for a long time, now you can't touch a performance one for under $30K (for a driver). SC/Ramblers and 390 2-seat AMX's are pulling $100K in #1 condition. On the other hand, base model 4-doors are still worthless. So it really depends on whether or not it will be "worth" something. Parts OTOH should pretty much always be easy.

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
1/24/10 11:46 p.m.

While a lot has to do with the brand itself.....Daewoo is a case in point. The bigger question is/will be "can you continue to get it serviced (those times when you can't do it yourself?) by someone you trust to do the work correctly?"

In the case of the Triumph, if the carbs, for example, needed a rebuild (not too many folks can do this nowadays) can you still find someone to turn to when you "get stuck?"

It's kind of ironic that Saab shared platforms and engines with Opel/Vauxhall, and those companies ALMOST went under, too.

Keep your fingers crossed, Saab may still survive....in some form.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Sai4DMFbJzgBZ7PqU3sCHRoVQjexYQCrw7RYaSXitmuzJJUijKla5WiX2Cb3GSnx