1 2
stroker
stroker UberDork
7/21/21 9:04 p.m.

The Champ Car race in Australia (Surfer's Paradise?) that was run (IIRC) under yellow flag conditions with the pace car due to rain...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/21/21 10:08 p.m.

Year: 2001 

The cars:  1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator with a 428 Super Cobra Jet, and Dodge Charger Daytona (big wing car) with a 426 hemi.  Yes it's two automotive legends dueling it out in the 1/4 mile.  

The announcer gave this race all the hype of an Ali / Foreman bout.  It was the saddest display of 15 or 16 second 1/4 mile ET that I ever saw.  It was so pathetic, sad, boring and lackluster I don't even recall which car won or lost.  It was totally unsatisfying and I realize now we all lost. Never meet a legend in person.

I was expecting high 12s or at least a low 13.  The fact is my 97 Cobra I was driving at the time would thrash either of them soundly even if I slept on the light or missed a shift or both.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
7/22/21 12:31 a.m.
ShawnG said:

Autocross has to be the most boring race to watch

It's more boring than golf. I can't

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/22/21 6:48 a.m.
759NRNG said:
Barb_Dwyer said:

In the final lap, Marc Marquez qualifies on pole position, seizes the lead, and disappears into the sunset without a trace. They don't have to contend for their positions with those in 2nd and 3rd. In the back of the pack, there are only contests.

That being said, Marquez II crashed out (I believe) in 2019. I watched in disbelief as a Marquez fan wept. His tears were like water to me.

I think I've just read my first forum Hiakuk.......not quite 5/7/5.....but I'll take it.

Barb_D.....welcome to the hive

I think we can expect some future watercraft sales from Barb.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/22/21 1:09 p.m.
NickD said:

I don't watch F1 or NASCAR or NHRA or any of that, the only motorsport I pay close attention to is Formula Drift, so mine will be a little odd. It was the last year that Formula Drift ran the event in Montreal, so I think 2015 or thereabouts. Frederic Aasbo tried a new method of winning, where he would make lead and chase runs that were better than average but not astounding and force the judges to declare One More Time matchups against him and his opponent. And he would continue to make these low-impact but technically acceptable runs, and just keep forcing OMTs until the other driver either fatigued and made a mistake, or they got pissed off and overly aggressive and made a mistake. He wasn't winning, he was just tieing and then forcing the other driver to hand him a win.

Star Trek did it.

So did Initial D.  (Takumi vs. "God Hand" in the S2000)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
7/22/21 1:10 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:
Opti said:

At our local shut down air field we used to do drag racing. Lots of weird and cool stuff was normally out there. One time I watched a 90s gran prix race a first gen xB, it never ended, far and away the most boring race ive ever seen. After the race the guy in the right lane turned into the guy in the left lane, so that was more interesting but the race itself, not so much

at the VW Bug In  you could race any Aircooled VW ,  so we would race our VW campers :)

I think we were in the low 20's !

I was at a bracket race where the event winner (class win then final class vs. class race) was a 22 second Honda CVCC.

The normal winner was someone with a Iron Duke powered Celebrity running 18s.

It's not about speed, it's about consistency.

It's still a little trippy to see a tatty Celebrity leave with all the fury of an indifferent cat, while his opponent had to wait seven or eight seconds before HIS tree came down.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
7/22/21 1:31 p.m.
yupididit said:
ShawnG said:

Autocross is highly dependent on course and the class that is running. We build some long fast courses (one had a slalom that guys were hitting 80mph+ through). And when the loud, serious cars, like Street Mod or C/Prepared or B/Mods hit the course, they are a lot of fun. But H/Street at a local level is painful. Thanks to it's catch-all status its usually just a bunch of novice drivers in bone-stock automatic grocery-getters on 8000tw tires puttering around at 10mph.

The absolute worst was Junior Kart though. I'm so glad that all the local venues won't allow Junior Karts on site anymore for liability reasons. Our chapter would always have the Junior Karts take all their runs for the day at once, right before lunch break. So everything would have to shut down while 4 or 5 Junior Karts took all eight of their runs at once. And they would all either be off-course, the karts would be running like E36 M3 and stall on course and a parent would have to run out and get it going again, or they would spin out and a parent would have to run out and straighten the kart out and get it pointed the right way. It was interminable.

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/22/21 1:41 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

It is possible to be consistent and boring. Good autocross runs, golf, bowling, marksmanship, bracket drags, these are all things that, when you are really good at it, your are super boring. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/22/21 2:49 p.m.

Autocross tends to be at its most interesting when you either have a great driver in a terrible car or a terrible driver in a great car. Watching the local hot shoe drifting a dually because the race car wasn't working, or a Lotus Elise keep exiting tail-first, certainly has plenty of drama. Or any course that has most of the FWD cars up on three wheels.

For most boring races to watch, I'm sorry to the parents who are getting their kids involved in racing, but junior dragsters have to be the most tedious spectacle.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UltraDork
7/22/21 2:54 p.m.
Duke said:
759NRNG said:
Barb_Dwyer said:

In the final lap, Marc Marquez qualifies on pole position, seizes the lead, and disappears into the sunset without a trace. They don't have to contend for their positions with those in 2nd and 3rd. In the back of the pack, there are only contests.

That being said, Marquez II crashed out (I believe) in 2019. I watched in disbelief as a Marquez fan wept. His tears were like water to me.

I think I've just read my first forum Hiakuk.......not quite 5/7/5.....but I'll take it.

Barb_D.....welcome to the hive

I think we can expect some future watercraft sales from Barb.

It's a clever one, that's for sure. Only copying like 98% of someone else's post.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
7/22/21 5:48 p.m.

I spectated an interesting autocross once. There was some mod class Mustang that showed up on a trailer, and wot's this? It's an automatic? Well every time the driver shifted that thing from P to D the rear slicks chirped. The car did a great job of rubberizing the tarmac that day!

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
7/23/21 8:31 a.m.

Do we have a Most Exciting or Interesting Race thread?  This one is fun and all, but I'm probably not gonna hit up Youtube looking for highlights of boring races.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/25/21 8:49 p.m.
NickD said:
yupididit said:
ShawnG said:

Autocross is highly dependent on course and the class that is running. We build some long fast courses (one had a slalom that guys were hitting 80mph+ through). And when the loud, serious cars, like Street Mod or C/Prepared or B/Mods hit the course, they are a lot of fun. But H/Street at a local level is painful. Thanks to it's catch-all status its usually just a bunch of novice drivers in bone-stock automatic grocery-getters on 8000tw tires puttering around at 10mph.

The absolute worst was Junior Kart though. I'm so glad that all the local venues won't allow Junior Karts on site anymore for liability reasons. Our chapter would always have the Junior Karts take all their runs for the day at once, right before lunch break. So everything would have to shut down while 4 or 5 Junior Karts took all eight of their runs at once. And they would all either be off-course, the karts would be running like E36 M3 and stall on course and a parent would have to run out and get it going again, or they would spin out and a parent would have to run out and straighten the kart out and get it pointed the right way. It was interminable.

The other fun guys to watch in autocross are those who go balls out, 100% of the time, and sometimes can control it. My old group had a guy that was often in contention for FTD, usually in a borrowed car, but he was always at risk of not having a single clean run and often had multiple spin outs. 

Countingcrowbars
Countingcrowbars UltraDork
7/25/21 9:29 p.m.
bigeyedfish said:

Do we have a Most Exciting or Interesting Race thread?  This one is fun and all, but I'm probably not gonna hit up Youtube looking for highlights of boring races.

We're gonna call this thread that ALSO. Please post us the coolest races and finishes 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
7/25/21 10:47 p.m.

Any Nascar race not on a road course.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/26/21 12:09 p.m.

Most boring race I ever took part in didn't really happen. On race day at Westwood BC the fog was so thick they couldn't start on time. They finally sent a bunch of us out to run around at reduced speed to 'disperse the fog' (not sure what the dubious science behind that was  - maybe none?). Didn't work.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/26/21 12:33 p.m.

About 10 years ago, I came to the Challenge without a car.

I did, however, take a pass on both the autocross and the drag race on a single speed tandem bicycle. 

This is my son and me running the autocross:

Alan McCrispin managed to talk the track officials into letting us make a pass on the drag strip. He and I turned a blistering 1/4 mile pass of 42 seconds. Yep 42. 

However, that was not the most boring race. The most boring race was an actual Challenge competitor car who We beat on that tandem!!

I won't name any names, but he was SLOWER than 42 seconds!

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/26/21 12:53 p.m.

50% of the horsepower was often missing! 

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
7/26/21 2:20 p.m.

MotoGP at Assen in 2018 was not the most boring race ever.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/26/21 5:16 p.m.

I was at some podunk dirt track in MO about 15 years ago.  I was mostly there for the fair/funnel cakes/deep fried twinkies, but they had a stock car race so I watched some of it.  I saw a bunch of school buses waiting, and sure enough, they had a school bus race.  I thought I would LOVE it.  Schoolies whacking into each other, flipping, blood, death...

None of the above really happened.  They got up to about 35 mph which is about all they could do on the tight track.  They rubbed paint sometimes, but it was such a waste.  I would have preferred a tortoise race.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
7/26/21 5:31 p.m.

My in car videos probably qualify; 1-2 laps dicing and then 5-7 laps of me on my own. I'm either outclassed or I pull away from the car I just passed.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
7/27/21 9:45 a.m.

NASCAR at Talladega.

To be fair, I had a lot of fun until I went in to the race.  Then I was hot, ran out of beer, and was slowly dragged into a daze by watching cars go around in a circle for hours.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
7/27/21 10:35 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I was at some podunk dirt track in MO about 15 years ago.  I was mostly there for the fair/funnel cakes/deep fried twinkies, but they had a stock car race so I watched some of it.  I saw a bunch of school buses waiting, and sure enough, they had a school bus race.  I thought I would LOVE it.  Schoolies whacking into each other, flipping, blood, death...

None of the above really happened.  They got up to about 35 mph which is about all they could do on the tight track.  They rubbed paint sometimes, but it was such a waste.  I would have preferred a tortoise race.

School bus Figure-8 is a lot better than on an oval.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
7/27/21 8:03 p.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Sometime in the early 80's a customer I restored and race prepared his DeMar mk11 had been asking me to drive it in the races. 
At the Milwaukee mile, in the rain. I lined up with the rest of the field. A slow start to keep the field bunched up with a Lotus S7 in the #2 spot.  Apparently he decided to go as he exited the last turn instead of waiting for the green flag. Assuming A yellow would come out I held the speed down with the pack behind me. 
I was  shocked when the green flag dropped.  But right on top of the cam .  My foot went down and I blew past him on the outside exiting the the 2nd turn. And lapped him 2 times to rub it in. 
    But it was me in front without a single serious competitor to race with.  And the whole field strung out behind with no passing. I'm not sure if it was the rain or an oval or what. But it was a parade. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9P9G40wOT7SkTvh0hpOm9GvYvxoA08atnWaBvOjQxTUS0tOmW9rJiENa6QOrXL3j