donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/12/19 7:54 p.m.

my daughter called me to let me know the car was making some strange noises... I got a quick chance to look at it... it makes this noise when you put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the ON position... I don't know if it continues to make the noise while the car is running but when you shut the engine off it continues to make the clacking sound for a few moments as well.

it's on the passenger side of the engine near the fuel filter/distributor stuff, it sounds like the fuel pump from from what I can hear but all the info I'm finding is the '09 and later TDIs

this is a 2005 jetta TDI 1.9l any help on where to look further would be amazing... note that in the vid I say crank it but she never goes beyond turning the key to the on position... I'll have to look at it more in the daylight

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/14/19 12:34 p.m.

Any ideas guys?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
12/14/19 5:04 p.m.

I wish I did but it seems like something someone familiar with these cars would be able to identify quickly. 

donalson
donalson PowerDork
12/14/19 5:47 p.m.

haha thanks :)... and ya that is what I was thinking but I'm not able to find much online based on the wording I'm using... I need to dig in a little closer still and see what specific part/areas are making the noise... it's obviously something electric as it's only once the ignition is turned on doh.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
12/14/19 7:04 p.m.

Use a stethoscope or some tubing in your ear and against different parts to see if you can isolate the part

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uUlqjsiG70ZhyGOaTzGnm5mJtluBEaa7Pp07YixKZ3v5qgYC1nmayRFQN2aGEfnf