FrankGrimes
FrankGrimes None
8/29/09 2:55 p.m.

Recently purchased a 1994 Integra LS w/ 190k miles from the original owner. Trying to get caught up on all maintenance and the car sorted before modifying. My question is - wtf is the part the red arrow is pointing to. I understand its a Fram Inline Fuel filter. But I'm guessing its not attached to a fuel line, or filtering fuel. It also has, what appears anyway, mold growing in it. The line disappears under the cowl cover, and on the end - does a loop around the windshield washer fluid reservoir then to infinity and beyond.

I'm guessing Honda didn't put it there. Any idea why someone would install this? and what the line is running to/from?

DrBoost
DrBoost HalfDork
8/29/09 3:09 p.m.

maybe a windshield washer fluid filter??? I don't know why anyone would need that.....

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
8/29/09 3:58 p.m.

Fuel vapor vent filter? Typically they dump into a charcoal canister.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/29/09 4:04 p.m.

WTF? Definitely not a honda piece. fiat22 might be on to something. I'll try and remember to take a look under the hood of my teg when I get home. If I were you, I'd pop the cowl off and try to see what the hell it's connected to...at least on one side.

wbjones
wbjones Reader
8/29/09 4:33 p.m.

my 01 LS has absolutely nothing that resembles that... good luck

FrankGrimes
FrankGrimes New Reader
8/29/09 5:45 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

Its a BINGO! (sorry.. just watched Inglorious Basterds)

Thx poopshovel, pried up the cowl during lunch - it run to the washer nozzles. Had a buddy spray the washer. I watched the filter fill up, then watched the stream shoot over the entire car.

Perhaps the previous owner used it to ward off tail-gaters? One can only guess...

wbjones
wbjones Reader
8/29/09 6:31 p.m.

those nozzles are adjustable... you'll still spray the tailgaters but you can re-aim them to hit low / middle on your windshield ...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Dork
8/29/09 7:27 p.m.

I was gonna say flux capacitor...

petegossett
petegossett Dork
8/29/09 8:19 p.m.
FrankGrimes wrote: Thx poopshovel, pried up the cowl during lunch - it run to the washer nozzles.

Probably had the fluid filtered to protect his valuable LED washer nozzles that he must have removed before selling you the car.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/30/09 3:53 a.m.

a filter on the windshield washers... that has to be a first for me

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
8/30/09 7:21 a.m.

what? you guys dont change youre washer filter every 6k? I pay my mechanic $50 every 6 mos to do it in my Infiniti - the dealer wanted $85...what a ripoff!.My mechanic seems real happy to do it too, He says hes happy to keep my car running so smooth.

Hes also really happy when I show up for him to top off my headlight fluid between bulb changes...I only have to pay $10 a month! what a deal

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
8/30/09 7:34 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: what? you guys dont change youre washer filter every 6k? I pay my mechanic $50 every 6 mos to do it in my Infiniti - the dealer wanted $85...what a ripoff!.My mechanic seems real happy to do it too, He says hes happy to keep my car running so smooth. Hes also really happy when I show up for him to top off my headlight fluid between bulb changes...I only have to pay $10 a month! what a deal

You got ripped off man! Every vehicle Ive had with headlight fluid just filled up every time it rained.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab New Reader
8/30/09 7:35 a.m.

No tech to add, but great user name! That's one of my favorite Simpsons episodes!

Homer: (to Grimes, who's walking by) Hiya Stretch, what's the good word?

Grimes: My name is Grimes, uh, Simpson, Frank Grimes. I took the trouble to learn your name, so the least you could do is learn mine.

Homer: Okay, Grimey.

FrankGrimes
FrankGrimes New Reader
8/30/09 11:47 a.m.

In reply to Racer1ab:

Frank Grimes: [seeing the Simpsons' house] Good Heavens! This is a palace! How can.. How in the world can you afford to live in a house like this, Simpson?

Homer: I dunno. Don't ask me how the economy works.

Grimes: Yeah, but look at the size of this place! I live in a single room above a bowling alley and below another bowling alley

Back to the windshield washer fluid filter. Although tempted to keep it so I could... uh.. .check it at the gas station? It as been removed and discarded. I got the car from a 65yo woman, I assume she didn't install it. It also has full records from local shops - I still would like to know the logic in installing it. Why a Fram fuel filter.. .and not say... a Brita or Pur water filter?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
8/30/09 4:45 p.m.

You want at least a 10 micron filter to keep your wiper fluid working its best.

Shawn

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A7QnHVoZ2sID0EMmorzw0grRLIStiDWmbStXPV6BwR7yn2M3vxnOI8PG5wfNkOvR