1 2 3 4 5
darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/6/11 10:51 a.m.

BUY BUY BUY IT IT IT!!! I've always thought about doing a 2.3 turbo'd version, but if it's already got a V8, no reason to change it. I say buy it, drop in an '89-'92 HO 5.0 (out of Mustang, T-bird/Cougar/Mark VII) and a T5, tighten up the suspension, and drive it.

BTW, I personally always found 'em a bit lacking in the looks department, but in King Cobra guise, they're pretty tasty:

I did this JDM-inspired coupe photochop for a guy over on pro-touring.com:

pres589
pres589 Dork
9/6/11 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Aeromoto:

If a car's only major redeaming factor is low parts cost, that doesn't seem to be a major endorsement.

And I just suggested a Capri for crying out loud, so I think I've got an obvious kink for "a road less traveled". I'm also biased, as a current Capri owner (who can almost hear the thing dissolving into an even rustier pile as we speak).

Geekspeed
Geekspeed New Reader
9/6/11 11:25 a.m.

I like the JDM styled one. I personally like the fastbacks better, but that is cool.

pres589, cheap parts cost is not the ONLY criteria, but it is a consideration. I am weighing the cheap price vs. the need to do some major component swappage. The only thing that scares me is the C4 to T5 conversion....

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
9/6/11 2:59 p.m.

I agree that the fast backs are better looking than the Notches. I felt that way about the Fox bodies too

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/6/11 3:03 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I agree that the fast backs are better looking than the Notches. I felt that way about the Fox bodies too

Hmm, I feel the notch looks more distinctly "mustang". It could also be nastalgia for my sisters M2 notch.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/6/11 3:31 p.m.

Have you bought it yet?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/6/11 5:11 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Pretty much the same, isn't it?

Sorta...

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
9/6/11 5:21 p.m.

nothing wrong with the Pinto... just that the Mustang II is more awesome

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
9/6/11 5:21 p.m.

The mid-late 70s was a real "depression" for Detroit/Dearborn.

Performance was a nasty word, if I recall an old Car and Driver... the Cobra II was the 3rd fastest car built in America... behind the L48 Corvette, and the lil'red truck from Dodge

If memory serves the Cobra II topped out @ 105mph

What might make a VERY interesting swap is the current V6, that way keep the power up, the fuel mileage up and the weight down.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/6/11 5:33 p.m.

I'd like to do a road race 70-74 pinto with a custom fabbed SLA front, 3-link rear, and a wicked little 2.3L duratec.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
9/6/11 6:50 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: The mid-late 70s was a real "depression" for Detroit/Dearborn.

that was a very depressing time for HP for all cars.. not just those made in detroit. I think even the 911 lost some hp during a couple of those years

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
9/6/11 10:23 p.m.
darkbuddha wrote: I did this JDM-inspired coupe photochop for a guy over on pro-touring.com:

OH MY YES!!!

mmosbey
mmosbey Reader
9/6/11 10:39 p.m.
novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
9/7/11 12:32 a.m.

what is it about this site that people feel the need to ask for permission or at least affirmation before getting something that isn't a Miata, Subaru, or made in Europe?

if you like it, get it. and build it how you want to build it.. Mustang 2's are fugly with a capital F, but they do have a lot of potential performance goodness that offsets that aspect..

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
9/7/11 8:43 a.m.

Fugly or not that blue car is sweet.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/7/11 8:54 a.m.

In this whole thread so far... the only one that does not look over-wrought and tacky to me is this:

That looks purposeful.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
9/7/11 9:42 a.m.

it could possibly need the factory rear spoiler.. but yes, I like it a lot as it sits

Aeromoto
Aeromoto New Reader
9/7/11 1:02 p.m.

Yes Mustang IIs are fugly, unwanted, unloved, and certainly not everyone's first or even second or third choice, which is exactly what makes them cool.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
9/7/11 2:50 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: Yes Mustang IIs are fugly, unwanted, unloved, and certainly not everyone's first or even second or third choice, which is exactly what makes them cool.

I'm guessing you don't know any Mustang II owners

http://www.google.com/search?q=mustangII+forum&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=#pq=mustangii+forum&hl=en&sugexp=gsis%2Ci18n%3Dtrue&cp=8&gs_id=4&xhr=t&q=mustang+II+forum&pf=p&sclient=psy&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-SearchBox&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=mustang+II+forum&aq=0&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=34c5832ff4b86bd&biw=999&bih=581

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
9/7/11 4:11 p.m.

this might be heresy in some circles.. but I think the II is better looking than the original Mustang and most of the Fox bodies.. especially the early fox bodies

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
9/7/11 6:25 p.m.

I THINK, that the wife signed off on me putting the '74 into the basement so I can start working on it over the winter. This is since the shop will not have electric yet. Hopefully I can help aide the "answers" here over the winter.

Yes, I say to get it, then get another. Just to make sure your covered!

Graefin10
Graefin10 HalfDork
9/7/11 6:48 p.m.

And then there's this Mustang II:

http://www.mustangii.net/photo_template.asp?pagename=IMSA_Kemp_Cobra_II&chosenin=other&imagename=images/kemp/kemp_cobra.jpg

I worked for Charlie in the late 70s. He kept this car in his shop. Shortly after I stopped working for him to open my own business, he entered it in the 24hrs. of Daytona again. I thought this picture was interesting in that it showed the car in comparison with the original plus the two Monzas.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
9/7/11 6:52 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: this might be heresy in some circles.. but I think the II is better looking than the original Mustang and most of the Fox bodies.. especially the early fox bodies

How can you prefer a Mustang II over the 79 Pace Car/82 GT or even the 85-86 GT?

I'd much rather have my 92 notch over a Mustang II.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/7/11 7:02 p.m.

'79 Pace Car & '82 GT are the best looking stock fox bodies EVAR!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
9/7/11 7:31 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: <

Had one the same color. A 72 coupe w/1.6 & 4-speed manual. Small back window with trunk lid. Used to have visions of a Porsche style whale tail spoiler, chin spoiler, lowered w/wide wheels and a little (ok, more than a little) more punch under the hood, something in a DOHC 4-cyl in 2L. I was thinking Italian at the time (like Alfa) but you get the point. Ex got the car in the divorce though while I was overseas.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yKYPSTsFVWegiIvWoqe4xa0qVF6rILavMDgQDQUqIqjkFJonKe3PK8yT5jyHiOJd