1 2 3 4 5
aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
7/6/10 4:58 a.m.

During the 50's, the famous racing driver, Juan Manuel Fangio had a new team-mate who was struggling to improve his laptimes.

He asked Fangio for advise....

Fangio shared with him the secret of all successful racing drivers......

"More gas, less brakes."

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/6/10 5:56 a.m.

Sign on the dash of Fred Lorenzen's '65 Daytona 500 winning Ford Galaxy: "Think. What the hell's the matter?"

Tralfaz
Tralfaz New Reader
7/6/10 5:58 a.m.

" Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn. " - Charles De Mar:

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
7/6/10 6:18 a.m.

You will never achieve greatness behind the wheel, without first conquering your own ignorance of cars.

"I WAS 7th!!!!!!"

kturner
kturner New Reader
7/6/10 7:23 a.m.

blah... blah... blah... accelerate - Team O'Neil tshirts

miatame
miatame Reader
7/6/10 7:29 a.m.

"Rubbin's racin' son"

And my own personal saying: "what's the worst that could happen?" - typically quoted while working on a Challenge car.

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
7/6/10 8:12 a.m.
Tralfaz wrote: " Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn. " - Charles De Mar:

LOL I just watched that movie last night.

"We the willing, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungratefull. We have done so much for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing". - Posted on the wall in the garage of car builder/driver Martin French

"In the paddock, the cars sit pretty for their scrutineering inspection. During this time, they lose their character and personality, they are seen only as metal and rubber objects just like we really are all just skin and bones, but we all know better than that." unknown

"All those other guys were cheatin' 10 times worse than us, so it was just self-defense." - Smokey Yunick

"Fear disturbs your concentration" - Sabine Schmitz

HappyJack
HappyJack Reader
7/6/10 8:13 a.m.

"God hates a coward"

a friend of mine used to say that to me all the time when I started racing.

My fathers words of wisdom, not sure where he got it from, "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem"

7pilot
7pilot New Reader
7/6/10 8:34 a.m.

Sabine Schmitz to J Clarkson: " Well, You are 98% Talent Free"

m

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
7/6/10 8:40 a.m.

"And now my friend, the first rule of Italian driving: What's behind me is not important" Franco Bertollini (Gumball Rally (1976))

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
7/6/10 9:25 a.m.

"I feel the need, the need for speed"

In reference to cones "If you are going to hit one, you might as well hit them all"

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
7/6/10 9:29 a.m.

In a spin, both feet in.

Understeer is hitting the wall with the front of the car, Oversteer is hitting the wall with the back of the car, horsepower is how far through the wall you go, and torque is how much of the wall you take with you. (It's been posted a time or two in this thread already, but this is the version that I know).

She runs like a raped ape!

There are no cones on an autocross course. There are no cones on an autocross course.

Simplificate and add lightness.

Ass-engined Nazi slot car

VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Smooth is fast.

car39
car39 Reader
7/6/10 9:40 a.m.

I can't remember if it was Cale Yarbrough or Bobby Allison talking to a dim bulb reporter after an accident"

"Well, what happened out there?"

"I crashed. It is f@cking possible to do that out there."

Wally
Wally SuperDork
7/6/10 9:42 a.m.

We've been doing so much with so little for so long, soon we will be able to do anything with nothing.

Boxed in like a turttle's pecker.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
7/6/10 9:48 a.m.

Unlike Football, Baseball and Basketball
Racing requires two balls

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Reader
7/6/10 10:18 a.m.

Not sure but I think when asked how he made it through a wreck Richard Petty replied, " Amazing what you can do with your eyes closed!"

In like a lamb, out like a lion.

"Throttle, throttle, throttle!" Words spoken by my instructor at my first COM driver's school after I went in too fast and lifted. Car began to rotate. (FWD). Wouldn't you know, the judicious application of throttle straightened the car out and I was able keep on going as if little had happened!

alleykat
alleykat New Reader
7/6/10 10:32 a.m.

"If you can't afford to push it off of cliff and walk away, don't put tit on the track."

splitime
splitime Reader
7/6/10 10:36 a.m.

"Take it To The Track"

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/6/10 11:15 a.m.

'It takes knobby balls to ride motocross'.

jamesalanray
jamesalanray New Reader
7/6/10 11:43 a.m.

I don't race to work, I work to race. That's racin. One of them racin deals. Iam in the wall.

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
7/6/10 11:57 a.m.

"It will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear."--Mark Donohue responding to the Porsche engineers asking if the 917 CanAm car had 'enough' power.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
7/6/10 12:05 p.m.

Three pages and no one has mentioned tightening the nut behind the wheel?

glueguy
glueguy New Reader
7/6/10 12:19 p.m.

Running out of talent is an isolated event. For the more, um, consistently underachieving there is OSB - other sports beckon. I think this came from Skip Barber school?

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
7/6/10 12:24 p.m.

this:

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/6/10 12:33 p.m.

"Why don't you guys just build one really good car?" - my buddy Mike.

"How has NASCAR changed since I started driving!? Shoot, the only thing that hasn't changed is they drop a green flag at the beginning of the race, and a checkered flag at the end." - Richard Petty.

"The only thing that should handle like it's on rails is a train." Can't remember where I read that, but it I like it a lot.

"There's no way you're going to GAIN a second here, but you could easily lose one." course walk with Heath McMillan.

"Well, ideally you'll want to be here, but in reality, you've probably overcooked the berkeley out of the last corner and will be right around here." Life-changing course walk with my buddy Jim.

"It's...it's just like...it's like being in a constant state of panic." Our buddy Bill after driving the s0up3y-turd.

"Go fast. Don't hit stuff." - Mrs poop.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XRQ3zQk34pR4MOoTJ3CxUazeSJwYS04rgcbdDPjc1fYhpxJkaAD5PVDNj06TerP6