1 2 3
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 7:42 a.m.

This weekend has me frothing at the mouth now.... $800 max for a manual trans running/driving Korean car. I really want one of the later Accent GT's but they aren't super common. I should have just hopped in the car and driven to Cincy the instant the wife said "sure" but I was knuckles deep in her truck. 

So besides CL, FB Marketplace what other cheap places to peruse? 

johndej
johndej HalfDork
1/28/19 7:50 a.m.

Funny enough I just bought a miata 2 weeks ago after jumping on letgo.com randomly.

Not the biggest fan of the site but it's done it's job lol.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/28/19 7:52 a.m.
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 8:08 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

with that much rust visible, the underside is going to be trashed. I had to get rid of my 02 because the frame horn rusted through that held the core support. But still a good car. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/28/19 8:11 a.m.

Govdeals.com

There are non-police cars.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
1/28/19 8:12 a.m.
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 8:14 a.m.

Damnit... THIS needs to be closer. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
1/28/19 8:22 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

looks like an hour from John

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 8:23 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Those are all too new. I'm looking for the 03-05's. They were smaller, lighter and had AC standard. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/28/19 8:25 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

In reply to bobzilla :

looks like an hour from John

Yep!  its going to be stupid cold here most this week but I could get that here to my house by the weekend.  

$750 is too much for a non-runner.  I bet I could get it cheaper!  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 8:29 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

If t-belt is broke, it'll need at least a few valves at best. A new head or used engine at worst. If it was local, I'd do $500 max.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/28/19 8:30 a.m.

I have added this Cleveland IAA car to my Watchlist.  It has not yet been assigned an auction week but I will now be notified when it goes up.  I can easily see it in person before the bidding.  

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=30828883&rowNumber=45&loadRecent=True 

Here is my suspicion from pics...

The actual grill took some impact.  This part with the emblem: 

If you look at the IAA pics the grill seems to have separated from the bumper cover in the area at the bottom of the grille/top of the lisence plate.  

Further then, the body shop was likely paid a couple hours of labor to take off the whole front bumper cover.  It generally looks like it has been intentionally taken off and that the bumper cover would go back on.    I don't see what looks like radiator damage or top core support damage. Reattaching the actual grill could be as easy a few zip ties.  A genuine replacement is probably cheap and some black painted mesh grill, hand fabricated could be cool too.  

I will guess that it might take $750-$1k all in to buy this from IAA.  That then still means you have to rebuild the title and continue to carry that branding.  

The one with engine trouble may represent a better challenge value.  

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
1/28/19 8:33 a.m.
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Dirtydog :

I've owned the Elantra. It's a great car. But it's heavy. The GLS Sedan will tip the scales at over 2900lbs (I had my 02 at 2880 with lightening) and the engine, while having a decent midrange powerband only makes about 135hp at the flywheel. To top it off, the front brakes are miniscule (9.9" front rotors and rear drums) and the bolt pattern is hard to find (4x114). There are front upgrade options that are cheap (03 Sonata rotors and 02-06 Tiburon calipers) but then they don't clear 15" wheels. 

The accent uses the same diameter front rotors but weighs 500lbs less and has the 4x100 bolt pattern. The 06-up is a torsion beam car and the older 2000-2005 are 4-wheel macstrut.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Dork
1/28/19 8:48 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Oaky doke.  I'll keep an eye out.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 8:56 a.m.

looks like the 06-up SE's all get rear disc.....Hmm

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/28/19 9:02 a.m.

I went searching for this old GRM pic and found this old GRM Thread too.  

I think this is a great look! 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 9:04 a.m.

Rebuilt/salvage titles don't bother me. Her Forte is a salvage. We buy them to beat the crap..... I mean drive them until they're done. That's why we buy them so cheaply. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
1/28/19 9:09 a.m.

there's this one down near mazdeuce, but it's got missing title, but does have a manual

edited to remove stupid automatic

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 9:16 a.m.

definitely no auto. All of the cars we're talking about had the 4-spd auto. IT is absolutely soul-crushing. If the Rio hadn't of had the suspension done it would have been absolutely miserable as a car. It's sucks that 110hp to about 20. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms New Reader
1/28/19 9:45 a.m.

Just grabbed a 2002 Elantra GLS for $350 and am building a Chump Car with a few friends. Not going to be a world beater but should be quite reliable/durable on track. Brakes are going to be the issue for us as they are stock sized with some pads, front lines(drum rears yikes!) and fluid. Hope with some ducting they will last. We are fully gutted(no dash, corbeau forza, nrg wheel, no a/c or heat) and are in process of installing a cage. Even with H&R springs and 205/50R15's it still sits high. We will hopefully get the thing down to under 2300lbs once everything is removed.

Around me there are about 15-20 Elantra sedan/hatchbacks with almost no rust, m/t and lower miles in the $750-$1500 range that we looked at. One really had my fancy as it was a silver 03 GT sedan, m/t and was stored in a garage. Had something like 90k miles on it and owned by some old guy. It was $2500 last i saw but he wouldnt budge. We ended up going with the partially destroyed GLS with 115k miles for $350. We are in the whole car total with all safety equipment and parts for $4600.

Good luck with the build!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 9:57 a.m.

SUPER Cheap brake upgrade is the 04 Sonata Rotors and 03-up Tiburon calipers for the front. Hawk makes pads for those calipers so plenty of pad options. Downside is they don't clear all 15" wheels but the master cylinder is properly sized for that. Plus you can adjust your rear bias with the e-brake.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/28/19 10:11 a.m.

this has promise but it is an old ad. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
1/28/19 10:28 a.m.

OfferUp has a pretty weak search engine but a lot of stuff gets listed there. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/28/19 10:32 a.m.

I share your Korean love but have you considered Focuseseseses? In New England, there’s a ton of Mk 1 & 2 for cheap. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z7zwV8TQ4Bb3zyQ03iiXYxnbeuGnTMZV0d7DcR2pWkOPjO9EsZgjBicLCHtN92bO