The_Jed SuperDork
2/13/14 7:57 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Fox body Mustang.

YES!!!!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/13/14 8:11 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Fox body Mustang.

watch for photos from our March 15th event upcoming. You will see something that you like very much. And there's a good chance it will win the Mod RWD class over me (though hoping not...)

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/13/14 8:15 p.m.
Knurled wrote: 911 seems to be the RWD answer. :) The problem with RWD is that there are so few cars small enough, new enough, to be effective cars. I feel that a wheelbase under 100 inches is critical. Engine should be about 200-250hp with even to less ft-lb, for flexibility. Low-end monsters aren't very drivable if you have to worry about maintaining traction, meaning 2WD. Less so for FWD because when the tires spin, you can rudder your drive thrust with the steering, whereas with RWD you have to juggle acceleration and car attitude with setting up for the next corner, which is where my comment of RWD covering for no sins comes from. If you're constantly pedaling the car then you aren't able to effectively drive the course, and someone who can drive the course effectively is going to be faster and cleaner than you. So, no turbos (turbos suck), nothing over 2.5-3 liters, nothing stupid light because light cars bounce around a lot. Miata seems to be a happy medium for RWD if you can get around the lack of cargo space. I really, REALLY want to try an S2000 with a hardtop someday. Or a 944, for that matter.

I think in the next few years it will become increasingly clear that the BRZ/FRS twins are the "car to have" for RWD class rallycross for those who can afford to beat up a fairly new car. Everything is right about them for rallycross, in my opinion. Everything except the fact that you can't pick one up for $3k like most of the RWD rallycross cars are, lol.

I love the 911 idea, but I think the Braid guys are making it look easier than it is to use that car, since they have much better access to wheels, fresh rally tires, and shop/fabrication stuff than the typical rallycrosser might. Plus they have a lot of experience in the rally world.

One other car that was very fast locally was a V6-swapped AW12 MR2. If he had kept the thing running for a full event, it would have been the MR champ by a good margin I think.

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
2/13/14 8:20 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Graefin10 wrote: I watched a nearly 5min. video of the 2013 SCCA Rallycross championships today and the clips they used were of 1 pickup, 4 FWD cars, and the rest were Subarus.
Link? I couldn't find any footage aside from a few peoples' in-cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMn4A-vYuAc

I was hoping for 2013

I'm responsible for the black RX-7 from 2011 and 2012. I left it at home in 2013 and drove a regulation blue Subaru instead. I'm still looking for out of car videos from the Saturday morning slopfest, as it felt pretty photogenic and was the only course on which my times were actually competitive. RWD driving style doesn't translate to AWD on a grippy course, I learned that later in the season.

I also got to drive that white GC from the beginning

Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
2/13/14 8:35 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: I wouldn't. I'd buy an old 1st gen RX7 race car and have at it.

Aw, none of those were mine

Let me fix that.

Here's someone embarrassing the rest of MR with skill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6T5kwM4dgQ

And a compilation I made of one of the cooler events I was at (huge turnout and no SNAFUs and really fun course!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4IqwE8EkcA

...and comparing same driver/same day RX-7 vs. The Answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjtPf0V9kM

Jerry
Jerry Dork
2/13/14 8:42 p.m.

I'd say MK1 MR2 but I might be biased.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Dork
2/13/14 9:30 p.m.

The know-it-alls will chime in, most of which have never entered a rallycross, much less won one or won a championship, and scoff at the idea of a Z31 300zx, but I can offer real world experiences and advice.

This car has won too many events to remember,3 regional points championships,typically supports 3-4 drivers per event, always lays down times in the top 10 overall including modified AWDs with 30-40 cars per event, and more or less dominates in Mod RWD.

It's mostly stock with way more power available if I ever wanted to up the boost. The parts are dirt cheap from Rockauto. There is no drift tax like you'd pay on an S-chassis, no E-30 hipster tax, and no Miata Solo tax to be paid. Entering it's 4th season and all in, including the original $500 purchase price, upgrades, replacement parts, and all consumables, the total budget is under $2000 spent. I'd like to see an E-30 or Miata accomplish what this Z31 has with that same budget.

[URL=http://s114.photobucket.com/user/hotrodhabit/media/1a1690_zps95d61143.jpg.html][/URL]

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/13/14 10:24 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: The know-it-alls will chime in, most of which have never entered a rallycross, much less won one or won a championship,

I haven't seen anyone scoffing at your car or z31s in general in any previous rallycross threads on here (or did I miss something?), but I'm definitely interested to hear who you're calling out on this point From what I can tell, most of the commenters in this thread are experienced rallycrossers. IDK, I would expect the z31 to be a good rallycross car, personally. Why wouldn't it be?

Aeromoto wrote: I'd like to see an E-30 or Miata accomplish what this Z31 has with that same budget.

An e30 325e (not mine) here in WDCR is a three-time SR and one/two-time PR championship car (as well as some 2nds and 3rds by other drivers, since four guys drive the car.) WDCR is one of the highest-attended regions in the country (60 cars per event), with 15-20 RWD cars at any given event....so there's pretty strong competition in most classes, generally. IIRC it was bought for $500 (or possibly less) and to my knowledge in 4 seasons all they've done is bought new tires for it and a few other little things. If you think you're the only one nationally doing well in rallycross on a really low budget, I think you'd be surprised....

Aeromoto wrote: more or less dominates in Mod RWD.

I don't know who won the class, but I was under the impression that Colin was battling it out at the top of MR in your region in his e30 and won at least a few events (correct me if I'm wrong).

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
2/13/14 10:34 p.m.
irish44j wrote: From what I can tell, most of the commenters in this thread are experienced rallycrossers.

Well, I'm just an internet forum expert

That Z31 sounds intriguing. They are definitely overlooked cars. Needs more videos!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/13/14 11:26 p.m.

how do you keep the radiators in one piece in that Z31. From working on my dad's old one, doesn't it lay down behind the bumper?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
2/13/14 11:42 p.m.
Aeromoto wrote: The know-it-alls will chime in, most of which have never entered a rallycross, much less won one or won a championship, and scoff at the idea of a Z31 300zx

Well that's an interesting way to go about proving a point, but I'll have a go at it:

Just because a car does well, has nothing to do with the car (especially in traction limited settings). It has to do with the driver. It is why a Ford Fiesta can beat 95% of the field in American rallying, including the fancy evo's and sti's. The same applies to rallycross; the 300zx isn't special or awesome, it just so happens that someone who is relatively good is driving a car that gets the job done.

It CERTAINLY is NOT the best car, nor one that would dominate in a apples to apples comparison. But I digress.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
2/14/14 1:56 a.m.

Audi TT Quattro 3.2 VR6

lol, jk I wouldn't do that but i'm sure it would be awesome.

JohnLClark
JohnLClark New Reader
2/14/14 3:56 a.m.

Ever since I saw the video of one, I have been entranced by the idea of a Rally Cross Lotus 7.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
2/14/14 6:54 a.m.
JohnLClark wrote: Ever since I saw the video of one, I have been entranced by the idea of a Rally Cross Lotus 7.

With hard top don't forget!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
2/14/14 7:02 a.m.

I have a friend with an AE86 Corolla that is brilliant. It's just utterly fantastic to drive on dirt. Adding an LSD and putting in some development time would be incredible but he really likes the car and rallycross is hard on cars you like. His next car is a first gen MR2 and it seemed marginally faster than the Corolla though he wasn't sure he liked it as much. It ate a rod bearing last month and the plan is for a 20v six speed and LSD. If it can come together then it should make it to nationals. I'm driving a first gen RX7. I like the car though I'm not sure it's a dirt car at it's core. Brilliant on pavement but lacking a certain something in the dirt, at least so far.
Eventually I'll probably move back to front wheel drive because I really enjoy how good light FWD cars handle in the dirt.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
2/14/14 7:17 a.m.
JohnLClark wrote: Ever since I saw the video of one, I have been entranced by the idea of a Rally Cross Lotus 7.

You want a Lotus? They rallycross them in the UK, what's called Global Rallycross here.

Sorry for the bit of a Flounder, I know that's not what this thread is really about, just having fun.

Now back to those who actually know what they are talking about.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Dork
2/14/14 7:30 a.m.

Sorry for getting pissy, and I'm not calling anyone out, but I just get sick of the same two platforms (the E30 and Miata) being a knee jerk reaction to everything. Good cars, no doubt, but there's more out there, and how friggin boring would it be if everyone drove the same car?

Yes Colin's E30 and the Z are always neck and neck. He won the championship last season, I won the two previous to that. So far in 2014 the Z has won 2 events and Colin has won 1. The E30 turns in better, I suspect because there's so much weight over the front axle, but as far as exiting a corner, gripping, and powering down a straight, the Z can't be beat. It has excellent weight transfer and way more power than any of the E30s that have come out.

As far as the radiator, I've never had a problem with it as far as getting damaged. I did ditch the stock fans and it currently runs an SHO Taurus dual fan set up. Underneath the car has been skid plated with steel diamond plate from the front bumper to the oil sump. The gas tank has been double-bottomed as well, and the exhaust is tucked into the tranny hump.You'd pretty much have to find a boulder and reverse up on top of it to damage anything.

Once again, Sorry for getting pissy, but the E30/Miata thing is getting like Stairway to Heaven- great song, but how many times do you have to hear it? And that's not intended to discount your car Irish, it's an awesome build and I salute you.

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
2/14/14 8:00 a.m.

what is the OP's budget and will the car be daily driven as well, or primarily or even only rallycrossed? (I don't recommend purchasing a car for ONLY rallycrossing, yes it's cheaper as if you tow it to events you don't need to insure it or tag it, but it's also a large initial purchase for about an hour worth of seat time a year.

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
2/14/14 8:08 a.m.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4297135413.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4239383233.html

i'll just leave these here...

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
2/14/14 8:13 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: I don't recommend purchasing a car for ONLY rallycrossing, yes it's cheaper as if you tow it to events you don't need to insure it or tag it, but it's also a large initial purchase for about an hour worth of seat time a year.

That essentially is true for any car purchased for racing.

For me it's a chicken-egg problem. The Philly region's program can't seem to keep moving. The WDCR program is great, but now it looks like the venues will be really far away.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
2/14/14 8:43 a.m.

I would want to use a Miata, then a third gen Camaro/Firebird.

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
2/14/14 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

In that area of PA i'd be hard pressed not to build a hillclimb car that's capable of doing rallycross with some quick changes in setup.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UberDork
2/14/14 9:23 a.m.

Since my plans for the Miata were changed, I'm back into this discussion as well. Neons, a Focus and Nissan Z cars are back on the list, too. The final purchase will have more to do with what is available in my price range when I am looking than anything else.

turtl631
turtl631 New Reader
2/14/14 9:28 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: what is the OP's budget and will the car be daily driven as well, or primarily or even only rallycrossed? (I don't recommend purchasing a car for ONLY rallycrossing, yes it's cheaper as if you tow it to events you don't need to insure it or tag it, but it's also a large initial purchase for about an hour worth of seat time a year.

How hard is rallycross on a car? I'm guessing that is pretty region and course dependent. But other than getting dirt on/in everything and sand blasting your paint, are there any other common forms of damage? I've not been to an event but I'd assume you'd get a lot of boost buggies showing up, and they're relatively new and expensive.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/14/14 9:39 a.m.

I am resurrecting my $2009 and $2010 challenger, the 96 S10, as my rallycrosser. We have already boxed the frame and it has a 4 link rear, just adding longer springs and afco coil overs in the rear. Installing a stock 5.3 and a super T10 4 speed.

Already has the 8.8 with discs and LSD

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
59jAlLHSMel719UDWU3zoAGyYr1wrELJNVbUgviucLrwmkqpHI1LrSiE2VtICF2z