1 2
Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
1/27/11 11:56 a.m.

Potential Miata replacement.

I just realized the wife hasn't driven the Miata since August and she tries to talk me out of driving it every single time I do, so this should be an easy sell-and-swap...

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/27/11 12:00 p.m.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
1/27/11 12:01 p.m.

Sounds like it has been cared for. That would my only worry. Bonus: its shiny too!

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/27/11 12:06 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

idunno. Let me eat a few more peanuts and I'll get back to ya.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/27/11 12:14 p.m.

Nice looking car, and low miles too.

"The only reason I'm selling is I'm in school and I'm going into the Air Force in June and I need to pay off a ticket before I can go." Must have been one hell of a ticket.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
1/27/11 12:17 p.m.

No, it's just boot camp. You can't go if you have any unresolved tickets at all, even a $30 parking ticket. Probably was still a doozy though.

My only issue with this car is this one is also for sale.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/27/11 12:23 p.m.

I'd rather see the Javelin on the road, but I suppose the 44 looks like a pretty good deal.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
1/27/11 12:33 p.m.

I wouldn't touch the second 944 unless it was immensely cheap, dude admits it was sitting in a field.

jeffp
jeffp New Reader
1/27/11 12:37 p.m.

Having have owned a half dozen Audis and VWs...I sure enjoy the reliability, simplicity, and cheap stock parts and racing parts with a Miata.

Hmmm...E -stock in a 944 this year?

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/27/11 1:06 p.m.

On the first one, it's clear that the timing belt snapped and took out the exhaust valves, so those were replaced. I'd want to know if there was any piston damage when that happened. I'd also want to know the options on the car - have the seller send you the list from the sticker under the rear carpet. It looks like it might have the sport seats, which are fairly rare and pricey pieces. Overall price seems high though.

On the second one, I paid $2300 for my running but cosmetically rough '86 turbo last summer - I've put about $1k in 2 replacement wheels, 4 tires, brakes all around, rebuilt axles and a wheel bearing into it. If the turbo is good on #2 and there's records of the timing belt being changed when he put it back on the road I'd pay $3k for it, assuming no other major mechanical needs.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/27/11 1:13 p.m.

pick one of the cool cars you've listed and hurry up and blow it up so you can find it's replacement...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
1/27/11 1:27 p.m.

the NA definitely has sport seats on both sides. the turbo definitely does not.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
1/27/11 1:34 p.m.

I dunno if you'll find the 944 more reliable than a Miata, though it seems like yours was cursed.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
1/27/11 2:38 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I dunno if you'll find the 944 more reliable than a Miata, though it seems like every car you've ever owned was cursed.

Fixed

....or maybe its just the cars you mention here. Whatever you buy don't tell us about it!

dean1484
dean1484 Dork
1/27/11 2:49 p.m.

Get the 951

/Thred

corytate
corytate Reader
1/27/11 3:18 p.m.

I'd pick a 928 over a 944 anyday, especially the 924s4

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
1/27/11 3:32 p.m.

Only car to ever be cursed like this was my Miata. The P71 did blow 2 spark plugs out of the head, but it drove home both times. It's in Florida now, you'll probably see it in the spectator section at the Challenge. Never had an issue with my RX-7 either. In fact, it got turned into a track car and won a race at PIR still on the 1/4 million mile original 12A!

So yeah, I'm not getting the explosion jokes. It's just been the Miata, and really it hasn't been that bad. It just came from a crappy used car lot and a crappy previous life and isn't really pushing my buttons.

Oh and no matter what happens with the Miata/new cars, the Javelin is still getting done

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/27/11 5:28 p.m.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
1/27/11 6:06 p.m.

My daughter is allergic to peanuts so I can't be in the peanut gallery

racerdave600
racerdave600 HalfDork
1/27/11 6:25 p.m.

The 951 hands down. I've owned versions of both, and there simply is no comparison. It is SOOOO much better than a NA 944 of any flavor. Even if it means doing a lot of work to get it functional, it's still far and away the better car. It's one of the few cars I really wish I still had.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/27/11 8:19 p.m.

A pair of unripped black sport seats are worth at least a grand on their own.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
1/28/11 1:50 p.m.

Okay, so how are feeling on the NA 944? (The 951 that sat in a field for years bothers me...) How bad is it that the valves have already smacked the pistons?

Oh, the codes on the car don't indicate Sport Seats... Just central locking, cruise, sunroof, Blapunkt, 4-spoke steering wheel, and leatherette.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/28/11 2:05 p.m.

Do you NEED the car ASAP? I think the smart thing to do here would be wait it out for a 951 that you're comfortable with.

Personally (and this may just be me), it makes no sense to "settle" for the lower model within the range when both cars are ~25 years old with not a huge price difference between the two. Take advantage of depreciation, and get the best.

I wouldn't buy a run of the mill 924. I'd buy a 924 Turbo. I wouldn't buy a base 944, i'd buy a 944 Turbo/Turbo2/S2. I wouldn't buy a BMW 325e, i'd buy a BMW 325is. I wouldn't buy a MKiii Supra, i'd buy an MKiii Supra Turbo.

But that's just how i view it.

If you need this car right now, then i think the n/a one is probably a better car, but if i were in your shoes and HAD to choose between those two, i'd still take the turbo. Maybe because i'm dumb, but i don't care. I'd still have a turbo Porsche.

EDIT:
I just realized that the Turbo was CHEAPER than the N/A, and the biggest of it's problems seems to be faded paint. Again, in my mind, this would be a no-brainer.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/28/11 2:15 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Do you NEED the car ASAP? I think the smart thing to do here would be wait it out for a 951 that you're comfortable with. Personally (and this may just be me), it makes no sense to "settle" for the lower model within the range when both cars are ~25 years old with not a huge price difference between the two. Take advantage of depreciation, and get the best. I wouldn't buy a run of the mill 924. I'd buy a 924 Turbo. I wouldn't buy a base 944, i'd buy a 944 Turbo/Turbo2/S2. I wouldn't buy a BMW 325e, i'd buy a BMW 325is. I wouldn't buy a MKiii Supra, i'd buy an MKiii Supra Turbo. But that's just how i view it. If you need this car right now, then i think the n/a one is probably a better car, but if i were in your shoes and HAD to choose between those two, i'd still take the turbo. Maybe because i'm dumb, but i don't care. I'd still have a turbo Porsche.

Someone please mark this day in the calendar..... I agree 100%

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
1/28/11 2:29 p.m.

Simple reason, the Turbo cannot be run in the ST category of SCCA Autocross, which is my preferred racing area. I can setup the 944 for STR and still run the Stock or Street Prepared categories at PCA depending on prep level (LSD and buschings basically).

Also, the NA has 1/2 the miles, actually has service records, and hasn't spent several years in a field.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x4YQWwOrS7i3pIOqDZ6DVsaNxPxo9CoT8AlVu7iVM5gqj6jAqHYnfqaDmqZUB79I