93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/30/13 2:16 p.m.

Ok so I need a new driver's seat for my Civic. I want something more supportive then a stock seat. I have thought about Del Sol seats but everyone wants stupid money for them here and I would rather just buy an aftermarket seat at that point. I don't want an aluminum seat (due to the need for a back brace) and I want to use the stock belts. What is there that I can find reasonable priced that will fit this? Momo Start, etc?

Edit: This car will be mostly for autocross.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
9/30/13 2:20 p.m.

Factory Recaros from a GD mx6? They're cheap. I hate em, but a lot of people love them.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/30/13 2:25 p.m.

Integra seats are the ticket here. Believe they're an easy fit, too.

The MX6 seats are awesome, but are also 40-50lbs EACH. Not worth doing any fab work for.

About all i'd move them to would be a GD 626 or a B-series truck.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/30/13 2:35 p.m.

The only thing with the Teggy seats is that they are the same height as Civic seats so that will put my helmet really close to the roof. I might try to find some though.

I was really leaning towards something like a Momo Start or Corbeau Forza Sport but I don't know if a seat belt will work with that. I am not a fan of running harnesses without a roll bar and I am not going to install one of those this winter. If a stock seatbelt won't work with that style seat, I will be on the look out for a Del Sol seat.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
9/30/13 2:47 p.m.

Stock seat belts generally don't work very well with non-reclining race seats. Yes, you can use them (I've done it often enough) but you are better off with harnesses.

I'd lean towards a reclineable seat with deep bolsters, those usually work pretty well with stock belts.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
9/30/13 3:11 p.m.

Have you considered modifying the stock seat ala Miata foamectomy?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/30/13 3:12 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Have you considered modifying the stock seat ala Miata foamectomy?

The side bolster is gone.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
9/30/13 3:41 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: The only thing with the Teggy seats is that they are the same height as Civic seats so that will put my helmet really close to the roof. I might try to find some though. I was really leaning towards something like a Momo Start or Corbeau Forza Sport but I don't know if a seat belt will work with that. I am not a fan of running harnesses without a roll bar and I am not going to install one of those this winter. If a stock seatbelt won't work with that style seat, I will be on the look out for a Del Sol seat.

If you were closer, I'd sell you my Corbeau Forza's so I can go lighter weight with Ultrashield/Kirky's

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/30/13 4:02 p.m.

Check these guys:

www.racetech-usa.com

www.ompamerica.com

www.momousa.com

www.sparcousa.com

You can also go the cheapo route and get some EBay specials, but I'd be wary of the quality of construction---- especially in a crash.

Otherwise, the junkyard is your friend. I've always been pleased with the RECAROs that came in old VWs, but they are getting very hard to find. Old MR2 (1st gen) seats might work--- if you can find them. Toyota had a bunch of great seat designs in the 80s. Unfortunately, they don't hold up well.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/30/13 4:09 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

I am not doing Ebay specials for that reason.

I think it is going to end up being Del Sol seats or Teggy seats because of the seatbelt issue.

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
9/30/13 4:11 p.m.

Low end sparco's are Chinese and as badly made as ebay seats.. I bought this for my S197

Chinese junk... just terrible. Go OEM or a higher end aftermarket...

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
9/30/13 5:47 p.m.

What are your measurements? I snagged a cheap set of factory Recaro SRDs because they have a cigarette burn in them and the suede side bolsters are kinda stained/dirty. I don't give a hoot. I'm not trying to win any hella flush mad tyte awards with my DD. They're really snug on me and I'm 6' 175lbs, 31 inch waist. If your hips are any wider than mine you wouldn't properly fit in them. They are fantastic for when I want to maintain momentum in turns/on-ramps. Arguably more comfortable than stock civic seats. I also have a set of cloth GSR seats and those were much better than stock civic seats. Del Sol seats would also put you lower I think. I'm sure if you ran a CGlock with GSR seats you'd be pretty happy. IIRC the GSR seats actually put me a little lower in the car than stock seats. Too bad you're far away I'd sell you my GSR seats.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
9/30/13 6:01 p.m.

craigslist and "recaro" will get you some interesting options......

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/30/13 6:44 p.m.

I am 6'2". 210lbs with a 36" waist.

Lancer007
Lancer007 New Reader
9/30/13 7:22 p.m.

Im 6'2" and 195. The recaros out of an EVO 8 or 9 fit perfectly, hard to find them cheaply though.

I have some Corbeau A4 seats getting ready to go in my car. Fairly solid, I have heard the material fades after a couple years or so and the fabric can wear quickly. Not issues for me as I only drive my car a couple times a week. Perhaps seat covers might sustain them a bit longer .

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 Reader
9/30/13 7:59 p.m.

How does a 300zx seat compare to an Integra or Del Sol?

I know I've never been in a Del Sol, and can't remember being in an Integra, but I've been in several older Zs and always think they could be an option. No clue on weight though.

• Lee
racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
10/1/13 6:32 a.m.

what about e36 seats, or 944...they can be cheap, as can mini seats.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/1/13 6:59 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: what about e36 seats, or 944...they can be cheap, as can mini seats.

I don't know about 944 seats, but E36 seats depend on the model - M3 seats (Vaders) have good bolsters, but are pretty heavy. Standard E36 seats (and luxury package M3 seats) are comfortable, but not particularly sporty. MINI seats have marginal bolsters and are also very heavy (these are air-bag equiped seats).

E30 sports seats have decent bolstering without being excessively heavy, but they still aren't light by race-seat standards.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
10/1/13 7:41 a.m.

No factory seats are light by race seat standards, but airbags can be removed.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/1/13 7:46 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: No factory seats are light by race seat standards, but airbags can be removed.

Not easily, though. They're sewn in and then would need to be replaced with foam. Sure, it can be done, but why? It seems air-bag seats are extra heavy even by factory seat standards. Extra bracing, perhaps. And very few have remotely good bolsters. VW R32 (or European market sport) seats... and MINI JCW Recaros (which I tested and was not impressed with). Neither tend to be cheap when they come up for sale.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/1/13 7:54 a.m.

Really I am going to be looking for an Teggy seat or Del Sol just because they are easy to mount...

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/1/13 8:10 a.m.

A friend of mine has a Del Sol. They are surprisingly comfortable seats. However, she loves it and plans to keep it forever (a restoration is planned), so I doubt the seats will ever be for sale.

I had a 91 Integra, but to be honest, I don't really remember the seats much. Regretfully, it never occurred to me to try auto-x with that car.

pushrod36
pushrod36 New Reader
10/1/13 2:00 p.m.

Prelude, S2000, or RSX? Those are ones that I had on the short list for my car. Downside to S2000 is no way to access back seats.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
10/1/13 2:57 p.m.

In reply to AutoXR: I did not expect to hear that about Sparco, even the low end. I've never bought aftermarket seats though, so there's that.

As far as Integra seats - if you're concerned about the height, make sure to get cloth instead of leather. They have significantly more sag to them and you end up sitting almost an inch lower. I think they changed the leather material at some point though, so YMMV.

I like the idea of RSX seats - I find them to be more comfortable than my Integra's. Dunno about height and fitment though.

Lancer007
Lancer007 New Reader
10/1/13 5:13 p.m.

The Neon srt-4 seats aren't bad either.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6QbIRmiQfG9dYrFzearPS3okaaAvAJrOQinkZAazbCwrpMz5POjucPfZTRI2pASD