1 2
wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
6/1/10 10:02 p.m.

There is an inexpensive "big brake" swap for the front tha still fits under 4 on 4 13" rims.

MGB calipers, Spitfire rotors, and a special adapter plate. I have a "near turnkey" (slight grinding required to the new calipers) kit that I was going to use on my V8 car...

Bill

digdug18
digdug18 HalfDork
6/2/10 10:56 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: If you decide to keep it and go with the A-series get this book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuning-Engine-Definitive-Performance-Economy/dp/1859606202

while I don't have this book, I do have a book from the 60's that has more information on sprites/midgets and racing. I forget what its called but I'll post a pic when I get a chance. that jefferson video has got me wanting to go vintage racing, but that is yet another expense.

What organizations have the vintage races, is it just scca/nasa? Or are there others out there? I figured I'd look into it, see what it all entails and such.

Andrew

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
6/3/10 5:39 a.m.
digdug18 wrote: What organizations have the vintage races, is it just scca/nasa? Or are there others out there? I figured I'd look into it, see what it all entails and such. Andrew

In response to your question, one example in The Vintage Racer Group here in the northeast USA. Our next big event in the BeaveRun event that is part of the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand prix.

www.vrgonline.org

Most vintage groups are members of the Vintage Motorsports Council. All the clubs involved in VMC are listed here:

http://www.v-m-c.org/members.html

VMC clubs generally recognise each others racing licenses.

BritishV8
BritishV8 New Reader
6/3/10 12:51 p.m.

These are great cars for vintage racing...

If engine swaps interest you more, do a lot of research before you start cutting. These little cars weigh next to nothing, so they don't need a whole lot of engine to be great fun. There are literally hundreds of suitable small engine models you could use. Sprites are technically unitbody cars, so they don't really have a frame per se. The chassis mods to suit a bigger, heavier or more powerful engine aren't easy.

That said, I think this is a pretty inspirational Sprite build: Bruce Uchida's BMW-powered 1959 Austin Healey Sprite

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
6/3/10 3:30 p.m.

Any contact info for Bruce? I'm interested in his seats, which I believe are Cobra Cubs?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RrCMxxOrWnjydgAhutOCg4Jtj453QoVBVfni52NdcyxFD7P05Xh0hob4tZ1s3Iwk