GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
7/5/20 2:19 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/939818663138627/

For those who can't view FB, it's a 5 week ad for a $1,500 engine-less 1983 Prosche with a kit for a chevy V8 swap... allegedly, and still has the Porsche 5-speed.

I know from past threads here tha tthe 928 has a pretty mad suspension and that most of the body is aluminum; what do you guys think? I don't wanna lead someone on by asking for more pics.

MTechnically (Forum Supporter)
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/5/20 3:17 p.m.

The question is what do you want to do with this thing? If you want it for anything other than stripping it down for a track car, I'd say stay away. Mind you they aren't really meant to be track cars, but it's been done successfully in the past.

I had an '83 928 S and, while I loved it, I spent a lot of time and money keeping it on the road. There is no such thing as a cheap 928. Everything for them ranges from expensive to pick your least favorite organ. Outside of that the wiring is known to be particularly complex and problematic. 

If you just want a front engined Porsche you'd be better served with a 924/944. If you want a cheap German GT car, well those don't really exist, but I think you'd be better off with a E24 635i.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/5/20 4:05 p.m.

What should I look for in a project like this Porsche 928?

Look for money. Lots of money. I think that they are cool cars, but I do not want to own one. If you do any level of real restoration, you can spend thousands just on little rubber and plastic parts. For a restomod there are plenty of other better platforms to start with.

Take a look through this:  http://986forum.com/forums/off-topic-discussions/76564-project-lazarus.html

Search Rennlist for some detailed builds.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/5/20 4:11 p.m.

If it's got a SBC conversion, can't you gut it and go with Chevy's one wire alternator and 1980 truck lighting?

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
7/5/20 4:21 p.m.

The way that ad is worded, it sounds like the swap parts are going to cost extra. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/5/20 4:22 p.m.

I would look at the car as a pile of parts. If you can recoup your $1500 in parts then you may do ok. However this is an early car that is not very desirable compared to the later cars so the used parts market is thin at best. I would not pay much above scrap for that.  

dps214
dps214 Reader
7/5/20 4:39 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I would look at the car as a pile of parts. If you can recoup your $1500 in parts then you may do ok. However this is an early car that is not very desirable compared to the later cars so the used parts market is thin at best. I would not pay much above scrap for that.  

If it's really a manual car and the transmission is still there and functional, the trans and associated parts are probably worth at least that much. The age, description, and rust on the trunk lid doesn't make me optimistic that there's much of anything else of value on it though.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
7/5/20 5:52 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

What is your thinking?  Is it something you really want to do or is it something you think might be cheap performance?  
Track car or street car?  
The time to do a nice race  car is always a lot more than you imagine.  From decades of experience I mentally estimate 2000-2500 man hours  to do something I'm proud of. 
A customer of mine bought a Lotus 11 that really looked good. Not just at first glance but on close examination.  I was happy because I already had too much work lined up.  The closer I looked the worse it got. I leaned on a frame tube and it crumbled in rust. 
New frame time.   The engine needed a complete overhaul. Etc etc etc. 
My point is it  takes a lot of work if you're going to risk your life. Every corner you cut or step you ignore is the one that might ruin everything. Even your life.  

A street car doesn't stress stuff to the same degree racing does. But costs more. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/5/20 6:14 p.m.

That may actually be a fantastic challenge car. Sell off the interior and other bits and add forced induction. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/5/20 6:14 p.m.

If you can get it for $500 with all the SBC swap parts it could be an interesting Challenge car. Beyond that, run away.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/5/20 6:39 p.m.

The 928 was slated to replace the 911, so its loaded with everything they could throw at it at the time.

The suspension is much better than the 924/944, so if you can simplify it by removing the old electrical bits you don't need or care about it should work quite well.

Being a manual helps and other than cooling it, making power from a SBC is pretty well known.

928 Motorsports still has a web presence and the info on their 928 IMSA Race car.  It's interesting to read up on.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
7/6/20 12:07 a.m.
MTechnically (Forum Supporter) said:

The question is what do you want to do with this thing? If you want it for anything other than stripping it down for a track car, I'd say stay away. Mind you they aren't really meant to be track cars, but it's been done successfully in the past.

I had an '83 928 S and, while I loved it, I spent a lot of time and money keeping it on the road. There is no such thing as a cheap 928. Everything for them ranges from expensive to pick your least favorite organ. Outside of that the wiring is known to be particularly complex and problematic. 

If you just want a front engined Porsche you'd be better served with a 924/944. If you want a cheap German GT car, well those don't really exist, but I think you'd be better off with a E24 635i.

I knew I forgot something! Yeah, basically as a challenge vehicle, or something I could drop a JY-ed LS into and make it rip on the cheap. I'm okay with a damaged interior so long as it can be fixed- not nessesarily replaced.

In reply to Frencyd :

Probably street/strip, more of a dumb fun car.

In reply to Stefan :

Thanks! I'll take a look.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/6/20 7:16 a.m.

Having come of age when the movie Risky Business came out, I have a particular fondness for the 928.  The intervening years however, have taught me that owning a not-particularly-well-loved thirty-five year old German grand tourer is not a financially responsible decision.

Well, that and the fact that my wife absolutely hates the way they look.

Good luck!

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/6/20 7:46 a.m.

They're really fun on the track. An SBC makes it so much easier to get parts for your track car engine. I see no downside.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gWlMj4fq08BQ0VnnerILUQvz1FhNxMsVXRMnj4Snfqq3HribzdIEb944KqyvBM1o