1 2 3
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/10/22 5:10 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

You did not say this is an "elder purchase" but on the chance it is, here are some of my past experiences that resulted in a Ford Escape. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/good-elder-transport-thats-not-a-pt-cruiser/184379/page1/

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/10/22 6:05 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks and, no, not an elder purchase. 

David S. Wallens
1/13/22 12:52 p.m.

And we have a purchase after hours of conversation and a zillion e-mails and texts: Hyundai Kona Limited AWD. 

There was some debate as to the need for AWD. Was it really needed? Maybe? Maybe not. But getting it eliminated a worry.

Also, yeah, not easy buying a car these days. But the price offered for the current car was just nuts. 

flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
1/13/22 1:44 p.m.

The AWD was a good choice.  It probably will help on the resale end because that's what the market wants in a CUV. Even modestly powered FWD cars really struggle to put the power down even in rainy conditions, let alone snow- they're fine in a straight line, but trying to make a left turn across traffic or pulling out, you get wheel spin /traction control shutting the party down and things get scary.  Or you have to wait for gigantic gaps in traffic.  I get people wanting to keep it simple/lighter and yeah, you don't NEED it for the most part, but a well implemented AWD system is really nice to have. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/13/22 1:52 p.m.
John Welsh said:

There's an article / study I'd like to see... 

How much real advantage is provided by the awd on the current crop of fwd based CUVs? 

I too think the 2wd is likely sufficient. 

Since this is GRM, I suggest a "Do you really need AWD?" article based on a stage rally or rallycross showdown between an AWD vehicle and its 2WD counterpart.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/13/22 1:56 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

A biking friend has a CX-5 and likes it well enough, other than being too small at times (he occasionally jealous of my minivan).

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/13/22 2:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And we have a purchase after hours of conversation and a zillion e-mails and texts: Hyundai Kona Limited AWD. 

There was some debate as to the need for AWD. Was it really needed? Maybe? Maybe not. But getting it eliminated a worry.

Also, yeah, not easy buying a car these days. But the price offered for the current car was just nuts. 

Let us know what you think about the Kona. It doesn't ring my bell, but I'm willing to be convinced.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/13/22 2:32 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Sonic :

A biking friend has a CX-5 and likes it well enough, other than being too small at times (he occasionally jealous of my minivan).

I have the perfect car for him. https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2022-cx-50

rocketrich
rocketrich New Reader
1/13/22 2:57 p.m.

The answer was (!) the Alfa Romeo Stelvio,  get a 2019 or later. Checks all your boxes. Don't believe the haters. I've got a 2019 Giulia and a 2021 Stelvio and they are wonder vehicles to own and drive. Stelvio has been up and back a 16 mile gravel road in a national forest with no problems. Its not a hard core off-roader, but certainly up to your standard National Forest gravel road, but clearly not a rock crawler. Capable enough for  those gravel roads and more capable than most of its CUV peers as an enoyable drive on the road. These can still be had at a reasonable cost both as new and used including CPO.  

David S. Wallens
1/13/22 3:08 p.m.

Mazda was high on the list, especially the CX-30, but the local dealer closed while there are several Hyundai dealers in town. So that answered that question. 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
1/13/22 3:10 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Which color? There are a couple Konas in our area. The blue looks good and really stands out.

David S. Wallens
1/13/22 3:32 p.m.

In reply to CAinCA :

Red.

We debated the Kona N-Line, but that can be too much red (or white or whatever).

Like, this just seems like a lot of blue. Where this seems like the right amount of color.

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
1/13/22 3:45 p.m.

Yes, the bottom one has just the right amount of bright blue.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/13/22 4:07 p.m.

I'm proud of you Mr Wallens. Very very proud. 

David S. Wallens

In reply to CAinCA :

In gray, the N Line works really well, but then it became an even tougher search.

David S. Wallens

In reply to bobzilla :

Thanks. But this wasn't for me. I just got to help. :)

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/13/22 4:08 p.m.

Still counts.

David S. Wallens
1/13/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Thanks. It's replacing a 10-year-old Kia Soul. It was a good car but time for something new. 

David S. Wallens
1/18/22 11:35 a.m.

So, the Kona showed up middle of last week--late Wednesday, I think.

It took its new owner on a hiking trip in the mountains this weekend. It snowed. 

Feedback from its new owner: The Kona was awesome.

Could FWD have done just as well? Maybe but someone felt confident on the trip so they're happy. :)

No Time
No Time SuperDork
1/18/22 11:50 a.m.

This is a good example of the reduced stress from knowing AWD is present (even if it wasn't necessary) is worth the cost.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/18/22 12:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Thanks. It's replacing a 10-year-old Kia Soul. It was a good car but time for something new. 

My wife replaced her Soul with a Buick Encore and loved it until we gifted it to our daughter. Our budget was under $25K and her main criteria was nice interior with all the toys. If Ii had to do it today, I would have pushed towards the Niro or Kona for sure.  

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/19/22 10:47 a.m.

Late to this party as usual, but nothing but praise for my 2019 Crosstrek Premium.  3 years old next month, a recall about a year ago for a minor thing.  About 35k miles and ready for more.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/19/22 2:55 p.m.

I'm sure all of these have been listed but:

- Subaru Crosstrek most likely hits all of these marks and price point

- Does the Hyundai Kona have an AWD option? 

- The Honda HR-V has an AWD option and it should be under that price point. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/19/22 2:56 p.m.

Edit - I'm late to the party. 

David S. Wallens
1/19/22 8:03 p.m.

Crosstrek was high on the list. I think the feel of the CVT didn't help. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uSyOj6vwshQJuwpSk6YdR61otXIHwebZaawIPXwhLaok0zenQq2VvsiMr1CTB0tR