1 2 3
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
12/1/20 6:28 p.m.

So yeah this gets delivered tomorrow along with a big old check for the viper. Took it as a partial trade because I have always wanted one and I got it basically for 40% of what it would cost to build. Other then putting racks for my road bike on tops and for my surfboards and helping a friend as a chase car for the san felipe 250. 

SCORE it seems bearly even needs licencing to show up. Pay your 75$ and pass safety and your done. 

FYI Simon I signed you up as a possible extra set of hands for Mexico if you want to go and help chase one of the big boy trucks around and help them fuel. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/1/20 6:33 p.m.

Well, this lunatic comes to mind...

Apparently, he shipped the car overseas in an attempt to avoid prosecution and seizure... cheeky

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
12/1/20 6:40 p.m.

I'm in to see what you do!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
12/1/20 6:42 p.m.
Rodan said:

Apparently, he shipped the car overseas in an attempt to avoid prosecution and seizure... cheeky

This is actually right in my backyard and he totally got busted. San Diego had a huge crackdown the next week and then things went back to normal. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/1/20 6:45 p.m.

Weary, you have great taste in cars. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
12/1/20 6:50 p.m.
Rodan said:

This further solidifies my belief that if you pull a bank heist the getaway vehicle should be baja based

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
12/1/20 6:59 p.m.

That looks like an insane amount of fun.  Well done!

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
12/1/20 7:02 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

SCORE it seems bearly even needs licencing to show up. Pay your 75$ and pass safety and your done. 

SNORE and others are the same. My co for a SNORE race had never driven in any form of racing prior. its like the wild west out there.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/1/20 8:07 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Rodan said:

This further solidifies my belief that if you pull a bank heist the getaway vehicle should be baja based

And now you have me thinking that wearymicrobe needs to get together with jfryjfry for some "closed-course/professional-driver" footage once it arrives! devil

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/1/20 8:58 p.m.

Beauty ! 

how you getting south of the border ? 

I really need to go - but due to Covid restrictions hearing it's crazy getting back 

thedoc
thedoc Reader
12/1/20 9:00 p.m.

I'm jealous on so many levels

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
12/1/20 9:01 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Beauty ! 

how you getting south of the border ? 

I really need to go - but due to Covid restrictions hearing it's crazy getting back 

Friend of mine went down and crewed for Baja and came back no issue. He was part of a big money team but other then our employer requiring him too quarantine for 14 days he said it was nothing special 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/1/20 9:04 p.m.
Rodan said:

I'm sold. Idiotic but I couldn't not watch. I want one even more

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
12/1/20 10:33 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

Walk back or drive back ? I have been hearing about 8-10 hour waits 

I have 3 car waiting to get painted and haven't taken them down just due to the return issue 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/1/20 10:41 p.m.

Oooo, that's rad. I love baja bugs. It's got an ecotec swap?

BFG (and maybe two others) makes a 33x10.5 if you want to get something skinnier for the front. They used to do a 33x9.5 too, but I think it's discontinued.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
12/1/20 10:54 p.m.

Build thread on the lunatic Bug in the video please.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/1/20 11:00 p.m.

Things to NOT do

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
12/1/20 11:13 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:

Oooo, that's rad. I love baja bugs. It's got an ecotec swap?

BFG (and maybe two others) makes a 33x10.5 if you want to get something skinnier for the front. They used to do a 33x9.5 too, but I think it's discontinued.

I need to really dig into it to see exactly what tire I want to run on the street I think it should be fine as it sits. I have so many VW part now from friends that I will just have what ever I decide for a street set put on different wheels so I can swap back and forth I actually think it would be finny to run 17's with like a 200 wear tire and just rip around the city. 

2.2 Ecotec turbo motor running E85 tune and minimal boost. Likely makes 250hp give or take. Transmission looks to be a 094 that was built up. I kind of just took the car without to much info. Worst case I sell the chassis and use the drivetrain in a 904 replica or build my own body. I know that the gas gauge does not work and it leaking like a sieve from the RMS which is a pretty common ecotec issue when they sit for longer periods of time. I will need to see if it has a EOTH sensor installed so I can run standard fuel. If not I have a place nearby that sells and will fill drums if I want. 

I would like to find the builder of the car as well. I am going to put it up on thesamba and see if someone knows the builder. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
12/1/20 11:33 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

How much does a chassis like that go for? 

I know nothing of these vehicles. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
12/2/20 12:10 a.m.

As I scrolled down, I speculated as to what I was gonna see. My mind's eye wandered through a myriad of cars, knowing the Microbe's earlier posts about what to replace the Viper with. I figured I had a pretty good idea what was at the bottom of the post. Even reading  about bike racks and Baja and stuff, I thought I had a pretty good bead on things.

Well I sure didn't see *that* comin'! Wotta goldern laugh riot...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/2/20 3:46 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:
Rodan said:

This is actually right in my backyard and he totally got busted. San Diego had a huge crackdown the next week and then things went back to normal. 

Crackdown? Like more than just that one hoon?

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
12/2/20 4:48 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:
Mr_Asa said:
Rodan said:

And now you have me thinking that wearymicrobe needs to get together with jfryjfry for some "closed-course/professional-driver" footage once it arrives! devil

I feel like that would be one of the best forum collaborations to date

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/2/20 8:16 a.m.

That's fantastic weary! 

And that video, my responsible boring side says, "Hey ya jerk, don't be doing that on public roads!"

My normal side says, "This is why I haven't purchased a Supermoto, because I would also end up in jail."

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
12/2/20 8:37 a.m.

Q: What kind of nonsense can I get up to with me stupid new acqusition?

A: All of the nonsense.

Thanks to Hoonigans and their buddies (Blake Wilkey, BJ Baldwin, Ryan Kibbe, Darren Parsons) I've come to the conclusion that stuff like prerunners and trophy trucks are the most insane vehicles out there and you can do all sorts of absurd E36 M3 with them.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/2/20 10:14 a.m.

When you get around to painting it, please, please, please consider replicating the Tamiya Baja Bug color sceme. You would be a personal hero. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cjgRAQ8KJRUY5URhHs4eRq7abapkNhqaRuFDgdJjjWdSjzHLuDTL3tuyNrfzdKq0