1 2
kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
5/2/11 3:18 p.m.

Two things: First, got me interested in modifying and improving what had previously been a decent, but uninspiring, car. Second, convinced me it was feasible to race said vehicle and have fun without a millionaire's budget.

Oh, and made me not hate Miatas.

Thanks GRM.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
5/2/11 3:51 p.m.

Hooked me up with what was to become my intro to Lemons: the Chevonda!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
5/2/11 8:41 p.m.

GRM influenced me to make this spectacular purchase...

...and the floors look like this:

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
5/2/11 8:45 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: And in between 5 years of Epic BABE rally competition with an assortment of oddities which I wont clog up the "tubes" with at the moment

Remember, it isn't a dump truck that you can just fill up with stuff, it's a series of tubes.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
5/2/11 10:22 p.m.

GRM was a huge influence on my decision to move to FL.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/3/11 6:57 a.m.

My project list went from one FB RX7 to ...

1. FB RX7 5.0
  2. FB RX7 pending LSx
  3. 73 Capri Gt
  4. 72 Ranchero
  5. 81 Alfa GTV6
  6. 97 Range rover supercharged
  7. 82 Camaro CMC car
  8. 85 Camaro Lemons car
  9. 96 S10 406 Challenger car
  10. to 14 73 Triumph Stags

the rest are work, tow or family cars

Yeah you guys had some input on my weird fleet

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/3/11 7:14 a.m.

Well, buying a Neon and signing up for the NML introduced me to GRM in 1995. I subscribed shortly after and the mag influenced me to add a Neon ACR to the fleet and try autocrossing. That in turn led me to buying a RWD daily and eventually to buying the ManicMiata and daydreaming about tire compounds and fender clearances...

Nothing spectacular yet but it has switched my allegiance from old muscle cruisers to anything small, swervy, and quick. I hope one day to have time for a stab at the Challenge.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/3/11 7:45 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: ...to 14 73 Triumph Stags

I am going to suggest that you seek professional help. You don't want to end up like those people you see on the news where Health Services are taking away their 40 starving cats. No human could realistically hope to keep one Triumph Stag running. 14 is just madness.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
5/3/11 8:00 a.m.

2002, 2003, and 2004 Challenge. Finished in the top 10 each year, which was pretty cool.

2004 was a banner year- after blowing up the trans on our 3rd drag run, we swapped it for a spare, and I was fastest in the autocross the next day- this is a picture from that run.

The other highlight from 2004 was driving Angry's V8Vair. That was both an honor and a blast!

To be perfectly honest, right now, I'm kind of not too strong on the Alfa thing- virtually have dropped out of AROC, am not organizing events. If not for GRM, I may have dropped the whole car hobby thing. May not be back at the challenge any time soon, but if not for the ideas that I constantly get for it, I'm sure my enthusiasm would have totally gone away. So GRM/CM has done a lot for me holding onto what I have liked.

mike
mike Reader
5/3/11 8:21 a.m.

GRM inspired me to sell all of my Alfa stuff, including my '67 sedan and my '72 coupe racecar, and buy a 2003 MINI S. It's the only new car I've ever purchased. Many autocross wins and fun weekends later, I have no regrets!

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
5/3/11 8:38 a.m.

Spending thousands of hours on a '62 Sprite resto-mod, supercharging a 2002 Civic Si hatch, Buying an e36 M3 and going stock then STU autocrossing, then HPDEs then instructing then TTs...

Buying an '89 manufacture NA Miata, taking it completely apart and paying Keith's salary for a month in one order to FM. An order that didn't even include a turbo kit.

Accepting a FREE Lotus 7 clone chassis which was only moderately bent. Buying a D Sports Racer, going racing. Giving away the 7 chassis to a member of this board due to the Radical DSR fulfilling my urgent need for a sub-1000 pound bike engine powered car.

Mainly the board has been very much akin to when I went to see Iggy Pop w/ Black Market Baby and the Bad Brains at the Ontario Theater in 1980 or early '81. I suddenly found out there were a bunch more of me and the validation and community made life better.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
5/3/11 10:06 a.m.
motomoron wrote: I went to see Iggy Pop w/ Black Market Baby and the Bad Brains at the Ontario Theater in 1980 or early '81.

Well, now I'm jealous. The youth are getting restless!

Raze
Raze Dork
5/3/11 12:59 p.m.

I can thank GRM for me (and my buddies) turning:

into this (can't even go into the list of repair/mods):

and I can thank Classic Motorsports for me turning:

into this (rewired, cosmetic treatment, bumpers reattached, retimed, tuned, top reattached):

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/3/11 7:04 p.m.
What "spectacular" things has this magazine driven you to do?

It never drove me to do anything, but it gave me an excuse to do something; when I'm building a streetrod as cheaply as possible, I can claim that the penny pinching is because of a challenge budget. The truth is that I'd never want to spend the money to buy a crate motor, chassis, reproduction body, etc.

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
5/3/11 10:24 p.m.

It made me think I could stuff a bunch of toyota stuff into a mazda and have it be a good idea. OTOH, It also schooled me about how cool the 24 hrs of Nurburgring is, and thus added an item to my bucket list.

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
5/3/11 10:51 p.m.

This mag convinced me that it doesn't matter what you race or where you race it, just get out and do it.

So I took the wagon autocrossing this weekend: Photobucket

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/3/11 11:26 p.m.

Early 1990s. IIRC there was an article in the late 80s about SCCA Improved Touring. And Per was into VWs then.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
8/19/11 9:00 p.m.

drag Taco wagon to the Mitty

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
8/19/11 9:22 p.m.

I'm putting an LS1 in my Miata

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
8/19/11 9:29 p.m.

To buy this:

From another crazy person on here.

Build and race this with said crazy person:

Oh, and this:

I blame you, each and every one of you.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/19/11 9:38 p.m.

Love the hat...

Toyman01 wrote: Oh, and this: I blame you, each and every one of you.
Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
8/19/11 9:49 p.m.

Looks better on me...

Or my youngest...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/19/11 9:50 p.m.

Ok, ok... i gave in and bought a Miata.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners