donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/31/20 4:47 p.m.

so we added a car to the fleet so we are shuffling around cars and that leaves my daughters driving the prius instead of the jetta TDI.

I could sell it but its not worth much (reason we didn't trade it)... it was flooded a few years ago when the hurricane hit... it flooded deep enough to flood the floorboards, thankfully the owner at the time caught it soon enough to cut out the carpets and hit the drain plugs... he expected it to not make it at all and bought a truck and ended up giving me the jetta cause we needed a car and he knew I loved TDIs lol... it's has a few of the standard electrical gremlins that VWs of the era have but runs and drives well... but some of the emissions stuff have started to fail and need bypassed or replaced (not that it matters as emissions don't matter here in TX on diesels) 

I've always wanted a TDI powered mk1 or mk2 golf or something along those lines so that is an option (just have to wait to find one that is decent looking and needs an engine)... or I could sell it... it is a running/driving car afteral​​​​... 

I'm finding these engines are also loved for swapping into RWD stuff especially offroading things...  

so hive mind... what is your take/thoughts...

quasimofo said I should sell it to him for the panhard... which isn't out of the question... just getting it 1200 miles is time consuming (not to mention the $60 of diesel it would cost ;-) lol.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/31/20 5:06 p.m.

Tune, injectors, better clutch when swapping it into a tintop samurai using an acme kit

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
5/31/20 5:17 p.m.

Demo Derby car? Send it out in a blaze of autoparts?

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/31/20 5:27 p.m.

All the boost, hater pipe, nitrous,  and challenge glory? 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/31/20 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Propane would do more than nitrous, though you can stack the two of them together as well.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/31/20 6:08 p.m.

Oh forgot to add... auto/ DSG trans...

I have thought about bringing it to the challenge... need to read up on how to get some budget power out of them and what the dsg can handle... 

donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/31/20 6:09 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I did think of dabbling with propane injection... but last time I looked into that was 15 years ago lol 

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/31/20 7:24 p.m.

*cough cough*

donalson
donalson PowerDork
5/31/20 9:03 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:

*cough cough*

I love that... but don't have the body work skills to do even a 1/2 acceptable ute conversion... although I wish VW would so something like that again... I love the old caddy/rabbit pickup... in fact it would be my first choice for a modern TDI swap followed by a nice a2/mk2

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
5/31/20 9:33 p.m.

Give  me the engine for my bad idea project...

The Ute conversion can be made easier with the Smyth Kit.

stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/31/20 9:39 p.m.

In reply to donalson :

Supposedly its pretty simple:

https://www.smythkitcars.com/jetta-golf-ute

I mean, at this point, it pretty much owes you nothing. I agree that you wouldn't get much for it if you sold it and its nice having a backup (or backup to the backup) vehicle around.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/1/20 12:29 a.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to donalson :

Supposedly its pretty simple:

https://www.smythkitcars.com/jetta-golf-ute

I mean, at this point, it pretty much owes you nothing. I agree that you wouldn't get much for it if you sold it and its nice having a backup (or backup to the backup) vehicle around.

um WOW... ok... so given me some serious things to think about... not the weight of an a1 or a2... but I really do like that jetta... so maybe... 

suppose I could do some stuff to it for grm challenge and still build it into that awesome thing down the road without much issue.... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xRmZllylTrOPcjnYknKE4gqrDHrkQWg1yo0qAXEFIXT9WV95XPJcvSYR7cTYJCY5