1 2 3
internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
7/8/12 12:10 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: Too bad about not having a title. That kills any deals in Illinois. (the state with 2 ex-governors currently in prison)

not exactly. it can still get a title. It takes paper work and dealing with specialized insurance though.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/8/12 7:05 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Someone wanna explain the flipped dunlop logo on the rear quarter? I suspect that car might have a bit o the history.

I was wondering about that too.. actually had to look at the celica badges to make sure the picture was not flipped

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
7/8/12 8:09 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
mndsm wrote: Someone wanna explain the flipped dunlop logo on the rear quarter? I suspect that car might have a bit o the history.
I was wondering about that too.. actually had to look at the celica badges to make sure the picture was not flipped

Yeah, its just the logo that's flipped and it's just on the one side (nothing on the other side at all) I cant figure it out, at first I just thought it was imprinting from something resting on it in storage but it does appear to be an actual logo.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/8/12 8:38 a.m.

Cool find! The Dunlop logo is probably a sticker which was meant to go inside the glass, meaning the glue would be on the 'wrong' side.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
7/8/12 9:04 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Cool find! The Dunlop logo is probably a sticker which was meant to go inside the glass, meaning the glue would be on the 'wrong' side.

Good point, I dont know why that didn't dawn on me.

A guy over at JNC pointed out that it appears to be a real JDM Celica GT and it has a disk brake rear in it.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
7/8/12 9:18 a.m.

You have a smart wife.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
7/8/12 4:55 p.m.

I want to see pics of it cleaned up and with that awful Pep Boys chrome fender trim removed!

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
7/8/12 5:58 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: I want to see pics of it cleaned up and with that awful Pep Boys chrome fender trim removed!

Time permitting I will get it cleaned up, it should buff out to a presentable state.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
7/8/12 6:48 p.m.

Crap. Not my favorite body style for the Celica. If it was the previous generation I'd be renting a truck and figuring out where I'd put it...

I have an unnatural love for rhd cars. Shifting with my left hand doesn't bother me a bit.

Give it some time. I have to believe a jdm fan somewhere will want to save it. Too bad he didn't decide to sell it back in May. It would probably sell for a decent price at Carlisle.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
7/8/12 6:56 p.m.

Where are you I have a person that can get a title to anything

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
7/8/12 7:05 p.m.

Is that a factory sunroof or aftermarket?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/8/12 7:08 p.m.
stan_d wrote: Where are you I have a person that can get a title to anything

Sooo... if i get it, you can hook me up?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
7/8/12 7:51 p.m.

I like it a lot too. I think it has a lot of potential for the right person. I hope 92CelicaHT gets it, fixes it up and then posts pictures on here making us all sorry that we didn't have it. Cool find.

Jay
Jay UltraDork
7/8/12 9:22 p.m.

Neat! I miss mine sometimes. Looks like about the same year...

The fastback body grew on me, but I like the coupes too. Clean it up, grab a junkyard 20R from a pickup, and drive it!

rallymodeller
rallymodeller New Reader
7/8/12 10:49 p.m.
Jay wrote: Neat! I miss mine sometimes. Looks like about the same year... The fastback body grew on me, but I like the coupes too. Clean it up, grab a junkyard 20R from a pickup, and drive it!

I remember watching that one go away on a trailer. 'Twas a sad time indeed.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
7/9/12 12:19 a.m.

Yes I will. I would like to drive it if you get it running though. The gal I use charges 150-200 depending. For title

Max_Archer
Max_Archer Reader
7/9/12 1:38 a.m.

Now I'm really wondering if there's anything cool that'll bolt in. Maybe a 7MGE would fit? That'd be a pretty interesting setup. Or, of course, a 4AG, but they're getting kinda scarce nowdays, especially if you want one of the later ones.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
7/9/12 4:20 a.m.
Max_Archer wrote: Now I'm really wondering if there's anything cool that'll bolt in. Maybe a 7MGE would fit? That'd be a pretty interesting setup. Or, of course, a 4AG, but they're getting kinda scarce nowdays, especially if you want one of the later ones.

Bolt in? 18R-G.

7MGE? You can make it fit. You can make them fit in first gens. But...like all the I6 swaps I've seen, I can never picture them handling very well with more mass, farther out in front of the car. Unless you hack into the firewall...etc.

4AG? Nothing too complicated, but not exactly going to be "awesome" in that car.

I'd be saying GR series V6...but, well, no idea on how hard it would be. Here's a dude who put a 2GR-FSE into a 3rd gen Celica though: http://www.socalautohub.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=177

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
7/9/12 6:57 a.m.

According to the PO who stopped by and had a nice chat last night it is going to be difficult to go I6, supposedly the Supras had a slightly longer wheelbase and front end to fit the 6 but I'm just going by what he says, I don't know nuttin :)

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
7/9/12 8:22 a.m.
JThw8 wrote: According to the PO who stopped by and had a nice chat last night it is going to be difficult to go I6, supposedly the Supras had a slightly longer wheelbase and front end to fit the 6 but I'm just going by what he says, I don't know nuttin :)

The i6 isn't a terrible swap. It's harder in the early 1st gens, then for the "facelift" variant of the 1st gens they got longer, and that carried over to the 2nd gens.

I'm still thinking 18RG, though.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
7/9/12 8:27 a.m.

If you have been inside it, I would recommend a shower first.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
7/9/12 8:28 a.m.

Needs moar American V8.

DelayedPenalty
DelayedPenalty New Reader
7/9/12 9:55 a.m.

JDM Celica? The answer is obvious! MOAR CAMBER!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
7/9/12 10:03 a.m.

Rallycross project. That is all.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
7/9/12 10:44 a.m.

I know of one particular state cough cough Maine cough that is easy as pie to get a title for a non-titled vehicle, just pay the fees, but I live in GA so I don't have this problem, though that's how I'd roll if I needed one...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dnBQuGKRnUUVclI1SPKSDNBlAKQeJ9YUgXKcWj5gwRYzarlD2uPTDG8pTIlMiCSV