1 2 3
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
8/5/20 10:38 a.m.

2wd late GMT400 with either the 5.0 or 5.7 Vortec boom dun

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
8/5/20 11:01 a.m.

Gotta say I love my Audi Q5 with the 3.0T as my daily.  With an APR tune, it's right at 444hp, has quite the scoot

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/5/20 11:14 a.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

Do you have the travel trailer or will that be a purchase as well? If it's a purchase, consider pop-up trailers. We towed one for years with a 2nd gen explorer and it did great. Something like a Pilot with a popup camper behind it would be easy on the highway and plenty of fun. The previously mentioned v8 470 or 4Runner would be good too. Spendy, yes, but damn nice.

I have a full size 4dr truck that's kind of become our go-to because it's so comfy. Honestly, if you want midsize and swiss army knife capability, stick with an SUV unless you REALLY need an open bed for something. Even a 4dr midsize pickup just isn't enough usable dry space without a cap on the back, and then what's the point. The full size makes up the difference because the cab is so big.

It will be a future purchase as well. We are basically in the research faze of all this so we can determine priorities, budgets, etc. 

To give you an idea of the size of travel trailers we are looking at, this is one that would serve our needs well. 

https://cheyennecampingcenter.com/inventory/2021-forest-river-cherokee-wolf-pup-14cc-travel-trailer-268

Thats about what I'd want too - and that's a damn good price. Bear in mind that although the weight of that is borderline for a lot of midsize SUVs, the frontal area is most likely going to push it into no-go territory. A lot of manufacturers specify weights AND frontal area limits for towing due to the increased load from wind resistance. I know in our V8 explorer's manual there was a chart. That's the big advantage of a pop up, they have much lower wind resistance forward and to cross winds. The COG is lower and they tow a lot better than the same size full-height trailer. Even with our old one that was manual top I could still have it set up in about the same time as our friends with a full height travel trailer.  

All said, I'd want at least 5k capacity to tow a 3900lb (dry) camper, preferably 7k.  By the time you add belongings, food, supplies, water, etc to the frontal area, it's going to tow a lot heavier-feeling than the dry weight suggests.

2900 dry for this one. Since we will likely always camp at a site with water/electric, we won't need to do stuff like haul 300lbs of fresh water with us somewhere. I'm figuring with food, propane, dog crates, and other stuff like cooking utensils, bedding, it would end up somewhere around 3500 lbs, does that seem like a good estimate?

I may have to look more into the Grand Cherokee. Even the V6 is rated for 6800 lbs, the V8 for 7400. It seems the only SUV's rated for more than 5k, are all the German from the article alfadriver shared on the last page.

In reply to pres589:

Well, it wouldn't be GRM if we didn't start suggesting vehicles that don't meet any of the requirements from original post. laugh

In reply to Pacemotorsports:

That goes back to my fear of feeding a modern German, forced induction vehicle. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/5/20 11:29 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

my mistake, I was looking at GVWR. That definitely makes 5k more doable.

I had an old Jeep GC, like a 1st gen. If the newer ones are anything like the older ones, don't.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/5/20 11:36 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

my mistake, I was looking at GVWR. That definitely makes 5k more doable.

I had an old Jeep GC, like a 1st gen. If the newer ones are anything like the older ones, don't.

Do you think that's a good estimate 500-600 lbs worth of stuff ending up in the trailer? 

I know my boss had a 2017 GC with the V6 and had no problem towing his big pontoon boat all over OK and up to Missouri and Arkansas. Any particular reason against the GC, other than the constant fear of it eating a transmission? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/5/20 11:50 a.m.

A ZJ GC is like 1000lbs less, 100hp less, 10" shorter wheelbase, etc. than the current beast

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/5/20 12:52 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

A ZJ GC is like 1000lbs less, 100hp less, 10" shorter wheelbase, etc. than the current beast

So basically, not a valid comparison.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
8/5/20 7:42 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Steve_Jones said:

The gx470 (2003-2009) is a much better truck than the gx460 (2010 up). The 460 is catering to the soccer mom crowd. I'd buy the nicest 470 I could find. I've owned 7 of them over the years. 

What are the things to look out for on the 470? 

What do you think they got wrong on the 460?

I have no idea, really just want to consider and research all the options, potential issues, etc

Main issues are radiator and make sure the timing belt is done at @100k. Other than those, they last 300k miles plus with no real issues. The 470 is a well known power train, quieter, and bigger inside (to me). 
There's a reason they are still worth a good amount, they just don't break. A V8 4runner is a good choice too  

As posted below, you can get a newer GC for the same money, it's because you will need to put more in as you go  as dumb as it sounds, a 120k mile gx with the timing done is a better buy than an 80k mile one, as it'll need to be done  

The 460 is leaning more towards a car, it feels smaller and just not built as nice. The newer styling is pretty odd, and they just don't seem to hold up as well. The 3rd row in the 470 is removable, the 460 they fold into the floor. 

there's a reason a 21 year old 225k mile, rebuilt title 4runner just sold here for $6900. Because they're worth it. 

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/5/20 8:35 p.m.

Weight of stuff in the trailer is highly variable depending on how much you pack but 500 lbs fully stocked is probably top end for that size camper. Propane, plates, dishes, grill, cast iron cookware, food, clothing, bedding....what do you want to take?

my issue with the GC was all about reliability, and honestly there's no connection between what I had and the newer models. I have no real reference but I will always be suspicious of reliability when it says Jeep in the side. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
8/5/20 10:12 p.m.

I think some of the Ford Escape AWD are capable of 3500 lbs trailer towing. They are considered compact size. There certainly are a lot of them out there. I'm looking for something with similar requirements.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/20 7:01 a.m.
pirate said:

I think some of the Ford Escape AWD are capable of 3500 lbs trailer towing. They are considered compact size. There certainly are a lot of them out there. I'm looking for something with similar requirements.

3500 lbs won't tow a Miata and a trailer unless it's a super, super lightweight trailer and doens't leave much room for payload in the vehicle itself. 5k seems to be the minimum of what would be acceptable.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fXQCXd29fBIRpbKPmSRNJdsVYF9xmg9zIS5jOuIa2tWKS6Uh7kpa0Jy5XE9fq3tu