1 2 3
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/12/18 6:04 a.m.

The constant whining, from me, that Mazda won't build a proper hatchback coupe ND Miata got me thinking. There are always cars that are not quite right to us. Cars that we would rush out and buy if the manufacturer would just listen to us and change this one little thing. What's on your list? What would you go drop a deposit on today if they announced your dream car? 

Aside from the previously mentioned Miata, I'm waiting for the Jeep truck. If they announce a single cab, short wheel base (about what the current four door is) with a manual, I'm likely to go buy one. Oh, and had Toyota capitalized on their One Lap Sienna with a special edition that was just a little lower, a little louder and had that super cool stripe, it would have been my new family hauler, but all I got was a shirt with the van on it. 

What do you want? 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/12/18 6:16 a.m.

An AMG C43 wagon with a manual.   Hell, even without.  

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 Reader
4/12/18 6:18 a.m.

I want the new, utility model Toyota prado here in the states. 175hp, 310tq, 4 banger diesel, 6 speed manual, AWD with locking center torsen, and while it's a 4 door, there's a partition behind the front two seats, and everything from there back is just a nice, flat, vinyl floored, flat space to put stuff on. And the tailgate swings sideways, so your not bashing your head on a liftgate. It's everything I want in a vehicle, but Toyota won't let us have it.

The jalopnik guys are just as excited as I am. https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/the-toyota-land-cruiser-utility-is-the-basic-stripped-o-1825172161/amp

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
4/12/18 6:19 a.m.

Well, you covered my primary answer with an ND Miata tin top, but I'd also love to see a modern El Camino/Ranchero.  Not sure if I would actually buy one, though. 

EDIT:  Also a true CRX reboot from Honda.  That I absolutely would buy.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
4/12/18 6:29 a.m.

Hey Chrysler/Dodge...you listening?  If so, fire up your laptop and take some notes here...  Remember that thing you built a decade or so ago called the Magnum?  I've got an idea.  Take your 300C, or even the Charger would be OK, stretch it into a long roof again.  Drop the Hellcat engine in there, we know it fits, you already offer it in the Charger sedan.  Even the base Hemi would be acceptable.  Attach a proper 6 speed manual to it.  Put a bit of a sports tuned suspension under it.  Doesn't need to be a Laguna Seca slayer, but at least no float feeling.  Give me the luxuries that the 300C offers.  Oh, and while you're at it, offer it for $25k or less...or at least let it depreciate fast enough that I can buy a CPO one for $25k.  C'mon, you've already got most of that stuff laying in your parts bin.  Do it!!!

Toyota, similar theme for you.  Word is that the new V6 Camry is a damn fine family sedan.  Stretch it into a long roof, stiffen up the suspension a bit more.  A fast, luxurious, good handling, affordable, bullet proof reliable family hauler...yes please.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
4/12/18 6:32 a.m.

In this thread - Cars we would buy 5-10 years used after they don't sell at all because people who buy new cars would never buy them

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/12/18 6:34 a.m.

I want my manual Tacoma to have the 5.7 from the Tundra and some nice seats like they put in the forerunner.

I want Ford to offer a focus rs with an interior that isn't cut rate.

A BMW M2.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/12/18 6:35 a.m.

It's funny, I've seen a LOT of posts here over the years saying "if only they build X car, with X drivetrain, and/or with X body style, I'd be first in line to buy one". To the best of my knowledge, none of those statements were fulfilled when said car was actually produced.  

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/12/18 6:36 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

In this thread - Cars we would buy 5-10 years used after they don't sell at all because people who buy new cars would never buy them

I would vote this up 10X if I could.

Troof

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
4/12/18 6:40 a.m.

A rear wheel drive, manual (or electric singlespeed) anything under $15k with a warranty that isn't voided by stage rally and a good contingency program.

Hey, at least I'm realistic about why I won't be buying new any time soon laugh

collinskl1
collinskl1 Reader
4/12/18 6:45 a.m.

Regular cab, short box, 2wd F150 with the Raptor engine. Call it a Lightning. The closest you can get today is the 5.0, which is no slouch.

A full or mid size SUV with minivan sliding doors. Gets around the minivan image issues but still gives the convenience. I seriously can't think of an engineering reason why this doesn't exist. It would sell like hotcakes.

In the place of that, an SRT Chrysler van. Hellcat packaging would be problematic, and they don't seem to have much FWD stuff going on these days.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/12/18 6:47 a.m.

Charger wagon would be in the driveway right now. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/12/18 6:49 a.m.

A wagon that doesn't have a sloped rear gate to steal canine headroom from my multiple dog passengers...that is built by a company with trustworthy levels of reliability.

In other words, not a European brand.

Bonus points for manual trans and fun to drive.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
4/12/18 7:03 a.m.

What do you WANT vs what are you actually willing to pony up the 30-40k dollars or payments on to buy. I think the results of those two differentiated questions would be quite different.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
4/12/18 7:03 a.m.

A relatively affordable, plug in hybrid, electric drive tow rig.  I want a low bed, 4wd, reasonable range on electric-only mode, and an engine/generator which can produce enough juice to power the electric motors on long tows, run a compressor, run a welder, power my house in a pinch... with a good warranty.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
4/12/18 7:05 a.m.

ND Miata in a bright non red color.  

all the blues have been about one shade off of gray and only available in gt trim.   I don’t really want the 15 different shades of black/white/gray that they offer it in.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
4/12/18 7:12 a.m.

Something with basic modern amenities - power windows/lock, hands-free phone integration & bluetooth, a/c, cruise, and seats that don’t feel like a wooden plank; that will last 5+ years/100k+ miles without major repairs and hold at least 40% residual value over that time, for $10k. Then offer a version with sportier seats/suspension/etc.(not necessarily more power) for $12k. 

And have the SCCA class it competitively for autox. 

Basically a cheaper Fiesta ST or slightly cheaper/more competitive Sonic RS.   

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
4/12/18 7:16 a.m.

Accord hybrid wagon, and not that ugly ass cross tour thing. An actual flat back wagon. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
4/12/18 7:19 a.m.

Just make everything they make now only give us a multi-page list of items we can check off or choose to delete.

i don’t need a 4x4 work truck loaded with amenities. Wouldn’t it be great to order the new Taurus or even the past Crown Victoria’s with pursuit suspension and heavy duty oil cooler and alternator etc. but with a nice interior?

Or how about a new Wrangler with rubber floors and an interior that you’d be ok with getting caught in the rain with the top off with?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/12/18 7:24 a.m.

A car that performs like the new M2, with the DCT transmission, that won't overheat on track, still has a nice comfy interior and good stereo.

Since I couldn't justify spending $58k on a new M2, I settled for a lightly used '13 BMW 135i with DCT, Msport package, and Harmon Kardon stereo. However, these are known for running very hot so a larger capacity oil cooler is a must to prevent them from going into limp mode. The stock oil cooler thermostat doesn't even open until 230°!!

I was also very seriously considering the '18 Mustang GT with Level 2 Performance Pack, but realized I'd be giving up some creature comforts for track performance I wouldn't be able to use often.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/12/18 7:24 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

In my defense, I ponied up a deposit on an Aerowagon within a week of the announcement. The fact that they didn't build it and canceled the order is their fault. After that fiasco I bought a CTS-V wagon though that was at the end of the run, not the beginning. That had more to do with my personal finances at the beginning of the run. I would have bought a 4cyl camaro six months ago if the 1LE had been offered. I drove one, talked to a dealer, and decided that putting all the 1LE bits from an SS on a brand new car didn't make sense. Unfortunately I filled that slot in my quiver already. I buy things new, but I need to need them in order to do it. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
4/12/18 7:27 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

In his defense, you are the exception to the rule.  Most of us are broke asshats who might as well be coming up with reasons that we'd buy a Hondajet if only it came with a few features that Gulfstream got right.

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
4/12/18 7:29 a.m.

My issue is that they make what I want but won't let me buy it in the states. 

Lada 4x4. Small little box on wheels, able to get out of its own way, NEW showroom price of under $10k, and camo from the factory. 

But no, not allowed to have them here. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/12/18 7:30 a.m.

Keeping in mind that ALL of my cars ( except one)  since I was 16 have been two seat sports-cars ( I include the FRS in this since the back seats are no more useful than the ones in the MGB GT)

I would be all over a Miata with an MGB GT style permanent roof. But it would have to come in around $ 35k Cnd and the current Miata in Canada  already sells for $42k, so that aint gonna happen.

The other thing is I am about to hit 60 and I keep cars for 10 years. Sitting on a 6 year old FRS I am pondering what a 70 year old me is going to want to be driving since I will cross that line ( hopefully) with the next vehicle. I am thinking truck, as I see my post retirement years being occupied by house projects and that means hauling E36 M3. So, what I need is a convertible two seat pickup truck that can run track-days. And I need it in my driveway for $35k.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
4/12/18 7:36 a.m.

I still want a Fit with Civic Si running gear. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MWonBc9TmeL9g5N3MKiwTpiBnlk1PQaGwYSXwuHGbJM7uiA0mOHqqN0uIQuhVPWr